HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 5:24 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
There's also one in Calgary although I don't know if it was done by the same people.
Yes, they were all designed in the 70s by IKOY architecture, whose old office sits at the base of D-Condo.

Embury Heights in Regina

Address: 2122 Winnipeg Street

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jul 12, 2020 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 12:15 AM
surely you agree with me

I think they were designed and developed by IKOY. Doesn’t every western city have one?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 6:10 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I think they were designed and developed by IKOY. Doesn’t every western city have one?
Quite possibly. Not prominently, however.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Quite possibly. Not prominently, however.
theres one by the calgary tower

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:44 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
theres one by the calgary tower
Scroll up.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
Do you mean 134 Smith St?
Yes, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the milk carten building has some interesting history in canadian architecture so its nice to hear its getting some TLC
Like what?

Interesting some of those other ones don't have a parkade podium. I used to have a friend that lived on the first residential floor – his balcony was probably over 1000 sqft because it was the roof of the parkade. Was amazing for parties hahaha.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 12:39 PM

Local media is reporting that a deal has been worked out between a consortium of arts groups and the buyers of the Pantages Playhouse to keep the theatre operating:

Quote:
A group representing arts organizations is poised to take over the Pantages Theatre, spend millions fixing the 107-year-old building and then run it.

The Performing Arts Coalition (PAC) has struck a deal with the owner of the old venue to purchase it for a dollar.

Details of the deal were disclosed at a meeting of the city's property, planning and development committee on Monday.

Ross McGowan, the former president of CentreVenture, and Curt Vossen, who is president and CEO of Richardson International Ltd., have been in negotiations with Alex Boersma and his partner, who purchased the theatre from the city for $530,000.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...hony-1.5647664

Going by the reports, the buyers appear to be mainly interested in the wedge of land along Main Street, which they plan to develop with some type of residential or mixed-use project.

A few of my own thoughts on the matter:

* It will be great to see that waste of space plaza finally get filled in. It hearkens back to the bad old days of the 80s and 90s when demolishing buildings was seen as an improvement to the urban environment.

* With the construction of 300 Main, the conversion of 433 Main to residential and now this development at Market and Main, it appears that residential development along Main is starting to build a critical mass. I wonder if we'll see any other conversions or gaps filled in along the stretch of Main from Assiniboine to Logan? There are a few surface parking lots that would look nice with buildings on them.

* I still find it a bit interesting that the WSO wants to move out of a building that was designed with them in mind. I never thought the Playhouse was that great of a venue... certainly not in the same league as the Centennial Concert Hall. I wonder what the acoustics are like for symphony performances? It's hard to believe they would be anywhere near as good as the Concert Hall given that the Playhouse was never designed as a concert hall to begin with.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Going by the reports, the buyers appear to be mainly interested in the wedge of land along Main Street, which they plan to develop with some type of residential or mixed-use project.
Hopefully whatever they build there has a Liquor Marts location at street level.

Quote:
* I still find it a bit interesting that the WSO wants to move out of a building that was designed with them in mind. I never thought the Playhouse was that great of a venue... certainly not in the same league as the Centennial Concert Hall. I wonder what the acoustics are like for symphony performances? It's hard to believe they would be anywhere near as good as the Concert Hall given that the Playhouse was never designed as a concert hall to begin with.
It is all over control of the bookings at the Concert Hall. I can't remember which tour Broadway show caused the issue but once the WSO was displaced the war was really on.

The other thing to keep in mind is WSO has a deep history with the Playhouse. I remember when I was in primary school being taken on a field trip to see the WSO at the Playhouse. It was definitely part of their music outreach program as it was targeted at the grades that would soon be able to join school bands.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB
It is all over control of the bookings at the Concert Hall. I can't remember which tour Broadway show caused the issue but once the WSO was displaced the war was really on.
That's unfortunate. Ideally the Concert Hall should be run for the benefit of our longstanding arts institutions... if that isn't the case, then something's wrong.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 6:30 PM

I thought the Pantages was going to be used by the WSO as their office space (moving from the Richardson Bldg.) and venue for their smaller productions that don't require a lot of seats with the main performances still going to be held at the Concert Hall.

As well they are going to rent the space out to other community groups. Apparently before the Covd-19 hit there was a shortage of space for grade 12 grad ceremonies with the Pantages space not being available.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:31 PM

I think the issue with the Concert Hall is the WSO and other local groups pay the bare minimum to keep the doors open and the lights on. A touring show is willing to pay significantly more so giving the Concert Hall extra income for a rain day fund or repairs/upgrades. It was definitely the right call to take the booking for the touring show and bump the WSO. It is just unfortunate it caused so many hurt feelings.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think the issue with the Concert Hall is the WSO and other local groups pay the bare minimum to keep the doors open and the lights on. A touring show is willing to pay significantly more so giving the Concert Hall extra income for a rain day fund or repairs/upgrades. It was definitely the right call to take the booking for the touring show and bump the WSO. It is just unfortunate it caused so many hurt feelings.
I hope they also have plans for the huge surface lot on Market between the Pantages and the Royal Manitoba Theatre. Even a Parcade would be nice.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I thought the Pantages was going to be used by the WSO as their office space (moving from the Richardson Bldg.) and venue for their smaller productions that don't require a lot of seats with the main performances still going to be held at the Concert Hall.

As well they are going to rent the space out to other community groups. Apparently before the Covd-19 hit there was a shortage of space for grade 12 grad ceremonies with the Pantages space not being available.
Yes IIRC the several years back was to have the Pantages serve as the WSO's HQ (offices, practices, small shows) then still have the Concert Hall for premier/larger shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
See above. The province is currently fixing the acoustic shell for the WSO. They could never fit something of that size/quality in the Pantages, so they will likely still use Concert Hall for big shows regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
I hope they also have plans for the huge surface lot on Market between the Pantages and the Royal Manitoba Theatre. Even a Parcade would be nice.
It'd be great to do something there, however I think it's a private owner.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:30 PM

If I recall correctly there was a plan for that parking lot a few years ago. To build a new theatre for the RMTC warehouse, and replace the existing warehouse with a new music hall... don’t know whatever happened to that... probably just a pipe dream, but there was a bunch of conceptual art done up for it. Would be nice to see that done. Then move the the PTE out of portage place and find a place for it in the area and we’d have a half decent legitimate theatre district. If i was the new owner of the pantages, id be looking to partner with rainbow stage And bring back its winter shows. A November December show and a January February show would be smart for them to do.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
If I recall correctly there was a plan for that parking lot a few years ago. To build a new theatre for the RMTC warehouse, and replace the existing warehouse with a new music hall... don’t know whatever happened to that... probably just a pipe dream, but there was a bunch of conceptual art done up for it. Would be nice to see that done. Then move the the PTE out of portage place and find a place for it in the area and we’d have a half decent legitimate theatre district. If i was the new owner of the pantages, id be looking to partner with rainbow stage And bring back its winter shows. A November December show and a January February show would be smart for them to do.
I remember that! And moving PTE into the area is a fantastic idea!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:03 PM
Source?

Couple years old now: http://www.mbccc.ca/wp-content/uploa...compressed.pdf

99% sure this is dead - tho it was a fantasy to believe it would all happen in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Local media is reporting that a deal has been worked out between a consortium of arts groups and the buyers of the Pantages Playhouse to keep the theatre operating:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...hony-1.5647664

A few of my own thoughts on the matter:

* It will be great to see that waste of space plaza finally get filled in. It hearkens back to the bad old days of the 80s and 90s when demolishing buildings was seen as an improvement to the urban environment.

* With the construction of 300 Main, the conversion of 433 Main to residential and now this development at Market and Main, it appears that residential development along Main is starting to build a critical mass. I wonder if we'll see any other conversions or gaps filled in along the stretch of Main from Assiniboine to Logan? There are a few surface parking lots that would look nice with buildings on them.

The City should never have sold this property in the first place knowing it was required by WSO who put in a proposal to buy it. It appears the Richardson’s are stepping up to protect this asset for the community. Thank you once again... While I am not opposed to a residential infill on Main Street, it just will not have the budget to really shine in that location.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 12:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Couple years old now: http://www.mbccc.ca/wp-content/uploa...compressed.pdf

99% sure this is dead - tho it was a fantasy to believe it would all happen in the first place.

It's not dead, but rather a master planning exercise by the MCCC. Ultimately it wouldn't be built exactly as shown but if the MCCC were to ever get $1 billion they could build out the campus like the plan. The idea obviously, is to pick away at it.

The primary focus is on the parkade/science centre on Rupert.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The primary focus is on the parkade/science centre on Rupert.
That's good news. The current science centre is extremely underwhelming and it would be nice to see that block north of the Centennial Centre filled in with something useful. Between that and the recently built Sport for Life Centre, it will turn that area from a surface-lot filled void into a nice northern edge for the East Exchange.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:17 PM
What could go wrong?

It is the primary focus of the master plan.

That being said, to put in perspective - if the parkade/science centre has a budget of say $40-50 million, they are only short of their goal by $40-50 million.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan