HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:18 PM

I think having that extra space will be nice on the Canada Street side when there's outdoor festivals going on in conjunction with something like a Memorial Cup tournament. You can shut down traffic going thru Canada Street and move the drop off point further down the road. The hotel & plaza will flow nicely especially since you know the Hyatt will be in full use by event participants during something major.

I still wish the building was 6 floors, but that's been talked about the death already. The Hilton Height bothers me far less since it adds much needed density to the area.

If I had to guess the city really loved the glitz and glamour of having the "Hyatt" brand right on Main St next to the Avenir Centre, and didn't bother pushing back on the height.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 5:09 PM

Hyatt Place is at the low-end of the spectrum when it comes to Hyatt, Hyatt Place is no higher in the food chain than a Marriott Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn which are both as nice or nicer than Hyatt Place. So there is not much glitz & glamour to this at all, I've stayed at a Hyatt Place before and it's nice but nothing to write home about. I expect the Hilton Garden Inn next door to be as nice or nicer than the Hyatt Place... This is no Hyatt Regency, Grand or Park Hyatt.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Hyatt Place is at the low-end of the spectrum when it comes to Hyatt, Hyatt Place is no higher in the food chain than a Marriott Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn which are both as nice or nicer than Hyatt Place. So there is not much glitz & glamour to this at all, I've stayed at a Hyatt Place before and it's nice but nothing to write home about. I expect the Hilton Garden Inn next door to be as nice or nicer than the Hyatt Place... This is no Hyatt Regency, Grand or Park Hyatt.
I agree with what you are saying, but do think to the general population with no awareness of this type of thing they would just see Hyatt and assume "fancy". I think the City likes being able to say they have the first Hyatt branded hotel in the Maritimes. This is just a pure guess on my part

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 8:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not Hyatt Regency no, but also not Days Inn or Motel 8 either.

The Hyatt Place will be a solid better than average mid range hotel along the same lines as the Hilton Garden Inn, and will be fitted out with a few extras such as the on site branded restaurant (?Applebee's), a lobby coffee shop and on site retail. a prominent downtown location next to the Avenir Centre is a definite plus.

All you have to do is look at the architectural styling to realize that this hotel will be at least mostly upscale.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 10:51 PM

This building looks so small now that it’s basically topped out with 3 very large complexes on the other three corners. I drive by everyday and a 4 story building anywhere else in town normally stands out but this site underwhelms....

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:27 AM

This was not the right project for this prominent location. Plain and simple, it's just not and I don't understand why people keep fighting it and saying that it is, when it's not... It's a fail. The Planning Department and Council should have been much much more selective with this location and what went on it. A 10-15 story building with a hotel on the first floors and luxury apartments on the higher levels perhaps, this is very hot right now. Such a missed opportunity, it could've been a showpiece.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Apr 17, 2019 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:09 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
This was not the right project for this prominent location. Such a missed opportunity, it could've been a showpiece.
What opportunity? I don't remember hearing that Moncton turned down a 10 story project and fell in love with a 4 story hotel instead. You must be thinking Riverview.

Could Moncton have waited for your unicorn to appear? Sure, but for how many decades did Moncton suffer empty lots downtown while they waited? Moncton had a void and they filled it with something pretty. Job done.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Moncton had a void and they filled it with something pretty. Job done.
Call me a cynic but for Moncton I think a lot of time we suffer from the syndrome of beggars can't be choosers. We have so much potential development available that it's not like we can afford to wait for the biggest and greatest otherwise nothing will ever move. They won't be big city buildings but at least within 5-10 more years this area of town should be fully developed (The Hyatt, Hilton, Gordon development, 1222 Main, police station, Vaughan Harvey, maybe Aquilinni)...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:44 AM

Downtown Moncton won't be getting any 10-15 story buildings in the near future, until all of this surface parking is addressed.
Even the small white block on the left, off of Record street will be turning orange soon.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:57 AM

I think the Hyatt Place hotel is a great fit. The alternative was an empty parking lot that wasn't generating any revenue for the city. Moncton is not a large metropolis. Infill and height happens over time.

It's a nice looking building in a location where it should prosper. If the two (or three) new hotels are fully booked on a regular basis, then another will be built. Who wants a 10 storey hotel that is mostly empty 2/3 of the year? It doesn't make sense.

If there was demand for a much larger hotel on that spot, why is the Hilton Garden Inn up the street only going to be 4 storeys as well?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 12:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Most of the disappointment about the Hyatt Place Hotel seems to centre around it's lack of height.

While an extra couple of stories might have been nice, I, like gehrhardt, am less concerned about the lack of height of the building as I am about creating quality infill and densification around the Avenir Centre. I think one could even argue that an overly tall building might have detracted a bit from the Avenir Centre and it's adjacent plaza.

Height however is important, and there is no question that Moncton needs more of a skyline. Personally, I would prefer if this occurred closer to the actual downtown core of the city, especially in the parking lot behind Assumption Place, and along Downing Street.

Anyone remember this vision for the west side of Downing Street? This vision included a relocated Moncton Market, a relocated Moncton Public Library and a Condo/apartment building about 15 stories tall. Notice how the increased height here takes the "edge" off the phallic brutalism of the Assumption Place tower. It creates a cluster of tall buildings rather than having taller buildings scattered throughout the downtown (and metropolitan) area. A cluster like this can create positive momentum and can serve as a nidus for additional tall buildings to be built in the immediate neighbourhood. The uptown area of SJ has a nidus like this, as well as downtown Halifax. If Moncton is to shake it's "suburban" image, we will need our own nidus.

Our nidus belongs in the centre of the core south of Main Street. The Avenir Centre neighbourhood should be allowed to densify too, but height should not be the paramount concern here........

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:18 PM

What you see is what you get.

Just a quick observation. The current design is not the same as the renderings that MonctonRad posted yesterday morning. In the rendering it shows a single story on the north-west corner of the building. In the 'current status' photo posted on Apr 15, 2019, 3:58 PM it isn't not included in the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I know what you're getting at as far as the setback is concerned.

Here's an image of what the front of the hotel will look like:

There will be a plaza in front of the hotel (facing Canada Street), and I wonder if part of the idea was to mirror the plaza in front of the Avenir Centre to complement and maximize the public space in this area. This is speculative, but I wonder if this isn't something the architect was planning on..........

There will be no setback on the Main Street facing facade. The hotel here will be flush with a widened sidewalk, and will contain retail frontage.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If you look at the drone image that Budyser took a few days ago, you'll see that the foundation projects in front of the concrete superstructure, corresponding to the single storey addition in front of the building that you see on the initial rendering.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:37 PM

There's plenty of construction happening around the Avenir Centre now and it's easy to see, but looking back at the time of the Hyatt announcement, I don't recall very many of these projects being in place yet and with some groups of citizens being vocally against the cost of the centre, maybe the city was just desperate to show any type of development in order to show progress to this demographic.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 5:29 PM

There is always the possibility too that a tower with underground parking could be added inside the "L" at a later date if demand is high.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

Downtown Moncton won't be getting any 10-15 story buildings in the near future, until all of this surface parking is addressed.
Even the small white block on the left, off of Record street will be turning orange soon.
Dang that is a LOT of surface parking, most of it Private.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
Dang that is a LOT of surface parking, most of it Private.
Very . At least the plan, over the next few years, is to divide up these lots with connecting side streets, in hopes of drumming up commercial and residential opportunities with underground & street parking.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 6:26 PM

Smile

So couldn’t confirm the name of the restaurant going in to the hotel, but can confirm that it is a US chain, and it will the first one in Canada. It’s a small chain with 270 locations in the US. All I could pull out of my contact. 🤓 Didn’t specify style , but said upper level casual dining

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
So couldn’t confirm the name of the restaurant going in to the hotel, but can confirm that it is a US chain, and it will the first one in Canada. It’s a small chain with 270 locations in the US. All I could pull out of my contact. 🤓 Didn’t specify style , but said upper level casual dining
Did a quick google search for restaurants with 270 locations and came up with Sizzler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...taurant_chains

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 7:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting. Indeed a possibility.

For the time being though, I'm sticking with my gut feeling regarding Applebee's............

Hopefully they will let us know soon. I certainly think we should know in the next 3-4 months in any event,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces