HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 8:25 PM

My high rise floor has four families with kids. One family has two kids in high school and the other families have elementary and middle school children. The pool amenity and park within walking distance is an easy sell. I think it depends on the type of high rise. The residential building needs respectable square footage for a 2-3 bedroom unit. I would never buy into 1333 S Wabash because of the terrible layout and the unit sizes are small. I would raise two kids in a 3 bedroom unit at SoNo, which is about 1,400-1,600 square feet.

Last edited by Justin_Chicago; Aug 9, 2014 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:36 PM
you know where I'll be

^ 1345 I think you mean.

Although, that being said, 1333's may not turn out too much better.......we'll need to wait and see though.....

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 5:00 PM

Talking out my ass here, but I'd bet parents would be more willing to live in a highrise or downtown in general if their kids were closer to high school age.

I believe one of the biggest segments of people moving back downtown aside from millennials are empty-nesters, so just as we start to see the 20-something segment widen to include young families as the millennials start birthing babies, it may also widen from the other end to include almost-empty-nesters, or parents with teenagers who will be in college or graduated soon and don't need the suburban amenities like big back yards and daycare and jr soccer leagues.

That's why I think good high school options are lacking. Move to the city, put your teen in a good high school, and when he goes off to college you'll be jet setting adults with a cool downtown pad... now with a guest room.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 6:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Potential Mid-Rise-ish Projects to go before Plan Commission This Month

One is the Mariano's-anchored project on N Broadway in Lakeview.....on the parcel that long ago hosted the Dominick's that burned down.....this was originally supposed to be mixed use retail/residential with residential above, but my assumption here is that the residential component was killed off by non-sensical NIMBYs

Another is a project at/near the corner of North and Clark. If memory serves, this may be that hideous design we saw way back maybe 2-3 years ago it seems like......residential with likely retail at the base.......hoping against hope there's been a design change on this one if it is indeed the project I'm recalling.....

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:40 PM

I'm extremely disappointed to hear that the Broadway/Wellington proposal is on the PC agenda. The last iteration published by the press is still cited as having 280-some parking spaces, and Tunney has not pushed to have them reduced despite it being one of the main points of contention from the community groups and those at the neighborhood presentations. It's not a thoughtful solution to the programs to be housed by the building: 280+ spaces is very excessive for an area with an exceptionally low rate of car ownership.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 2:55 AM
The City

Anyone know the status of the Belmont/Clark "flatiron" proposal? I really want to see that happen

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Anyone know the status of the Belmont/Clark "flatiron" proposal? I really want to see that happen
I sure hope so, at this point. The Baskin Robbins / Dunkins is still open, but all the businesses surrounding it have been forced out.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 5:29 PM
dream fast

8/8

NEIU's school colors blue & gold/yellow fins. Not sure about this design touch.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
One is the Mariano's-anchored project on N Broadway in Lakeview.....on the parcel that long ago hosted the Dominick's that burned down.....this was originally supposed to be mixed use retail/residential with residential above, but my assumption here is that the residential component was killed off by non-sensical NIMBYs

Another is a project at/near the corner of North and Clark. If memory serves, this may be that hideous design we saw way back maybe 2-3 years ago it seems like......residential with likely retail at the base.......hoping against hope there's been a design change on this one if it is indeed the project I'm recalling.....
Info from my condo association newsletter, who was cut out from the most recent "negotiations" amongst the various parties:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsletter
...the building proposed for that corner is a 117’ (roughly 15-story) condominium building, which would contain between 33 – 48 condominium units, depending on market conditions at the time of construction. The developer would also be asking the Chicago Plan Commission for vehicular access to the condominium building from North Avenue, two (2) extra feet of sidewalk taken from the street along North Avenue, and re-location of the bus stop at that corner.
The James House association was apparently successful in getting the driveway moved off the obvious location on Germania Place. At a prior community meeting, one lady proclaimed, verbatim, that "Germania is one of the, if not the most congested streets in the city!" I am not making this up.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
8/8

NEIU's school colors blue & gold/yellow fins. Not sure about this design touch.
This is turning out awesome, not sure what you are unsure about? It's like a freaking spaceship landed right next to the Kennedy. I'm just worried about how they are going to screen the mechanical on the roof...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Is a new project in the works for Target site in Lakeview?

A Chicago contractor is buying a property on a busy Lakeview intersection from Target Corp., a possible first step toward redevelopment of the site.

Novak Construction Co. has agreed to purchase the site at the northeast corner of Ashland and Belmont avenues from Minneapolis-based retailer Target, which confirmed it was dropping a plan to build a store there in the spring, according to people familiar with the transaction.

Though it's unclear what Novak plans to do with the property, here's one hint that it is considering building anew: City records show that a Novak venture has applied to demolish a building on the north end of the property, one of several commercial structures on the site.

The firm likely is considering a mixed-use project that combines retail space with residential units for the site, said Warren Baker, president of Chicago-based Baker Development Corp. who teamed up with Novak on a retail development near Logan Square but isn't involved in this one.

A range of developers are trying to kick-start mixed-use projects with apartments in neighborhoods including Lakeview, Lincoln Park and Logan Square. As with all apartment projects in neighborhoods, the challenge is ensuring apartment rents are high enough to justify development costs.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...te-in-lakeview

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Great, I never liked the Target proposal. This is an improvement.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:11 PM

Another one bites the dust

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:14 PM
The City

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:15 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Great, I never liked the Target proposal. This is an improvement.
^ Although I was also never a fan of the proposal prior to that either. My God what I would give to see a few flatiron-esque buildings go up again in some of Chicago's neighborhoods. Something truly flush and corner-defining. We just shy away from our street corners these days, instead of punctuating them.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:15 PM

Optima II

There goes the last sliver of sky

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:16 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

^ This is the Howard Johnson Inn redevelopment, right? Just making sure

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
There goes the last sliver of sky
^ Skies are for chums

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Good point, but if redone properly, the existing building could be quite nice and hold the corner well.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:25 PM

Quote:
^ This is the Howard Johnson Inn redevelopment, right? Just making sure
No this is the Realators tower spot - taken from Illinois and Rush, facing SW

(how could you not notice AMLI River North in the back ?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development