HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 2:11 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like that the base rises outward and then there's the awkward angle where the rest of the building starts, and even though the rest of the building is technically rectangular from whichever angle you look at it, its shape creates the optical illusion that it tapers again inward.

There's something about that that bothers me, it's like the base is a toilet seat and the rest of the building is sitting on it... Why couldn't they have made the base perfectly straight and rectangular - more straightforward, more stylish. The tapering outward just makes it look awkward.

Anyone else feel this way...?

Also, I read on wikipedia that there are rumors it might not get finished by 2018...?? Is this true? And if so, is there a chance for a design change?

And Wikipedia is an extremely trustable and verified source.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 2:14 PM

No, those are just rumors. The PA's schedule is the most accurate timeframe right now, which is scheduled for completion in 2013.

The tower's base is 200 feet by 200 feet, which is a square. The top of the building actually tapers again inward, forming a diamond of a square. The core of the building at the base is shaped like a rectangle.

From: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Tower_New.jpg

This is the rendering of the 1WTC without the rest of the site(keep in mind that the rendering of the site and the rendering of 1WTC alone are totally different.)

The original towers had their footprints chamfered slightly as well. They probably wanted to bring that back.

They can't change the design now that the tower is rising. That would only delay it to probably 2018.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 2:42 PM
Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
No, those are just rumors. The PA's schedule is the most accurate timeframe right now, which is scheduled for completion in 2013.

The tower's base is 200 feet by 200 feet, which is a square. The top of the building actually tapers again inward, forming a diamond of a square. The core of the building at the base is shaped like a rectangle.

The original towers had their footprints chamfered slightly as well. They probably wanted to bring that back.

They can't change the design now that the tower is rising. That would only delay it to probably 2018.
Really? I'm not talking about the chamfered corners, the original WTC had a slight chamfer on each corner which ran all the way up, that's true but that's not what I was referring to.

The base is indeed a square on the ground but it rises slightly outward in each direction, doesn't it? In other words each side of the base forms an angle with the ground that isn't 90 degrees, but slightly sharper. Or am I incorrect, is that just an illusion created by the chamfered corners? (I'm talking about the sides, not the chamfered corners, which clearly do rise at an angle)

And then you're saying the rest of the building tapers in as well? My impression (probably wrong) was that the area of the square where the base meets the main body is the the same as that of the square on top, it's just rotated 45 degrees. Or is this incorrect, is the square on top actually smaller?

Please, let me know. Thanks Sorry if that was too convoluted.

As long as I know the base is just chamfered but doesn't actually rise outward at a sharp angle then my crazy OCD brain will be at peace

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Really? I'm not talking about the chamfered corners, the original WTC had a slight chamfer on each corner which ran all the way up, that's true but that's not what I was referring to.

The base is indeed a square on the ground but it rises slightly outward in each direction, doesn't it? In other words each side of the base forms an angle with the ground that isn't 90 degrees, but slightly sharper. Or am I incorrect, is that just an illusion created by the chamfered corners? (I'm talking about the sides, not the chamfered corners, which clearly do rise at an angle)

And then you're saying the rest of the building tapers in as well? My impression (probably wrong) was that the area of the square where the base meets the main body is the the same as that of the square on top, it's just rotated 45 degrees. Or is this incorrect, is the square on top actually smaller?

As long as I know the base is just chamfered but doesn't actually rise outward at a sharp angle then my crazy OCD brain will be at peace
It's an illusion, the chamfered corners are the only part that rise at an angle like you said. I actually had to double check this. haha. Good question though.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 3:47 PM

Quote:

The bottom square is larger. The red arrow points to the sides that rise vertically, the yellow arrows to tapered sides. The red square drawn is the bottom, the yellow the top of the building, as seen from above. Hope this gives you a perspective

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 5:09 PM
Martian

Wow, they should have called it Optical Illusion Tower

OKAY, I think I finally figured it out. Thank you both of you.

So yes, the base is perpendicular to the ground, just the chamfered corners rise at an angle, adding to the enigmatic nature of the building.

The same goes for the main body - the four sides rising off of the base sides rise straight up at a perpendicular angle from the ground, forming a single continuous straight line from the ground all the way to the top - so if you're looking at the building from the "right" angle which is if you're directly facing one of the four BASE SIDES, you will see a perfectly rectangular structure. You'll see this:

However, if go to the side and face a CORNER, then you'll see a tampered structure - both the base will appear to be rising at slight angle, because of the chamfered corners, AND the main body will appear to be very tampered - the top will actually appear 50% smaller than the base.

And as you move from the side to the corner you'll get everything in between, from slightly to highly tampered. The pic that BStules and Blind_Guardian posted is a good example of it appearing slightly tampered from a slight angle. If you rotate it to the right a little bit it'll appear perfectly rectangular like the one I posted.

So, OKAY, I get all this. BUT, I'm still a little confused, because I've definitely come across renderings that are supposed to be of the final design, which appear very odd, and where the top square appears as big if not bigger than the base square. Here's an example:

(sorry I printscreened that one)

In this one, I don't know if it's the angle that's playing some sort of a crazy optical illusion on me again, but the chamfered side on top appears just as big, if not bigger than the base side, and also just as perpendicular to the ground, when it should be 50% smaller and tampered + on top of that the one next to it, which should be the same size, definitely appears much smaller...? It does, doesn't it? So the top really doesn't look like a square to me. Also, I really think I should be able to see more of the base, namely the left side on that rendering...?

I'm also pretty sure I've seen some renderings where the top looked as big as the bottom, and from certain angles it almost appeared bigger. I think those might have been earlier renderings where they thought they would have the top square rotated at 45 degrees, but still be the same size as the bottom (so they'd be juxtaposed and the same size if looked from above ), so the building would look rectangular from ALL angles, as all sides would rise straight up perpendicular to the ground. But then they decided to have the above square be 50% smaller and fit into the base one when rotated, so that's what they did. Can anyone confirm if this is at all correct? Maybe I'm wrong about that, maybe its just an optical illusion I saw again.

Well anyways, I think it would have made more sense to have both squares at the top and bottom be equal in size and have the structure appear rectangular from all angles - this way it would have been even more enigmatic IMO, and it would have physically had more space. A lot more actually.

I don't know, it's still the most enigmatic and mysterious tower I've seen. I think that's what they were going for, so mission accomplished.

Man, that was a long post...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 5:56 PM
Honored Member

I have forgotten what little html I knew so, here are the links to the shots of the window washing rigs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3512479...63911/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3512479...63843/sizes/o/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:03 PM

North Crane Jump Imminent?

North Crane Jump Imminent? A couple of the black sections which were on the ground near Bigger Red have been moved out of view.

Meanwhile new steel has gone up over the tracks in the extreme SW corner of the bathtub over the rail tracks, including a diagonal cross beam today, with a lot of beams on the ground just to the south of the southwest corner. So it looks like, at long last, the entire length of "the hole" along West St. is to be filled.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:07 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
This is why I knew the tower sections were not for either of the cranes on the Tower One site. This also applies to Tower 4 sense DCM is doing the erecting there too.

http://www.dcmerectors.com/tower-crane_video.htm run time is 6:22 and worth every second.

NOTE: you must allow the ActiveX add on to load in order to watch the video.
I guess you missed this. But it does not mean the north crane well not jump soon, just that they don't need to add sections to jump it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:46 PM

Quote:
I have forgotten what little html I knew so, here are the links to the shots of the window washing rigs.

Crazy. Always appreciated, Zen.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:51 PM

I know they had done some type of service on Big Red last night, but did they reconfigure it for longer reach as well? I mean, the bottom section looks a little smaller and the top section looks way longer than normal. Or am I just delusional as usual?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:39 PM
Honored Member

You're right, they did reconfigure it with a longer jib and shorter main boom.
It can now lift higher, with greater reach, but with reduced capacity.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:41 PM

They have now added a section to the last boom part of the crane, and it might seem that we will see new columns by Monday.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:52 PM

Quote:

Well anyways, I think it would have made more sense to have both squares at the top and bottom be equal in size and have the structure appear rectangular from all angles - this way it would have been even more enigmatic IMO, and it would have physically had more space. A lot more actually.

Having the top square equal in size would be impossible unless the sides that I had drawn with red arrow were tapered outwards. Also, the side with the yellow arrow would still taper inwards. So the building would not be vertical from any angle you looked. Here's a rough idea of that:

Last edited by Blind_Guardian; Sep 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 9:10 PM

Zen, ooops, yes of course you're right, the tower cranes rise with the building, they don't get longer. I didn't get to watch the video as ActiveX doesn't run on Mac OS 10.4.11

I see the Manitowoc 18000 now has about 40 more feet added as of today.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Thanks.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I read on wikipedia that there are rumors it might not get finished by 2018...?? Is this true? And if so, is there a chance for a design change?
Your best source of Freedom Tower info would be in this thread, particularly since you are a SSP member. All of the answers you want are here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 11:20 PM
Vamotabbe Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Your best source of Freedom Tower info would be in this thread, particularly since you are a SSP member. All of the answers you want are here.
Agree

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
All hail NYguy & Zensteeldude as our true leaders of truth, justice, and ooooooh look at the big red crane!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 2:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer1 View Post
All hail NYguy & Zensteeldude as our true leaders of truth, justice, and ooooooh look at the big red crane!
All the information in the world won't help if people don't bother to read it. Please read folks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive