HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is a total eclipse coming up in Alberta in 2044. I will likely be in no shape to travel that far in 20 years time, but, there is an eclipse in Sydney, Australia (also crossing the south island of NZ) in 2028. I have always wanted to visit Australia and NZ. This could give me the excuse!
I wouldn’t mind going out to see that one also, but I’ll be damn near 80, so who knows.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:55 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
As for all the videos and pics, it clearly demonstrates that for normal equipment like phones, it just can't come close to doing justice for the actual experience. Phones have come a long way and automatically allow light in and so it didn't capture how dark it actually was.
I'm generally anti-phone when it comes to capturing a moment. My mantra: just enjoy the damn thing with your own eyes!

There was a guy in Gage Park recording it all and narrating for posting on YouTube or wherever... he noted such as he finished and walked past me. SO original.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 10:00 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I wouldn’t mind going out to see that one also, but I’ll be damn near 80, so who knows.
Same, for the Aussie experience.

And if I'm not infirm or afflicted with cognitive disorders, I'll offer to share the experience with fellow elders via whatever technology is all the rage by then... with applesauce!

Or maybe make the news by passing into the next life during the event!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I'm generally anti-phone when it comes to capturing a moment. My mantra: just enjoy the damn thing with your own eyes!

There was a guy in Gage Park recording it all and narrating for posting on YouTube or wherever... he noted such as he finished and walked past me. SO original.
Yeah, I'm all about a balance. When I'm at an event, I tend to get the video and/or pics out of the way at the beginning and just take things in after that. I also want to re-live these things after the fact through viewing them again in the future.

I don't particularly care too much about eclipses. Didn't even buy the glasses or get them for free from the library down the street. But I whipped out the phone to try and capture my daughter's reaction to it getting dark so suddenly. Yeah, she didn't care. I guess 5 years old isn't quite old enough to fully appreciate what's going on. Maybe if we were in an area with totality.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 7:52 PM

I was in Montreal, anyone have any data by how much the temperature dropped at Totality? Also I notice the wind picked up

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 7:59 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights99 View Post
I was in Montreal, anyone have any data by how much the temperature dropped at Totality? Also I notice the wind picked up
I was in Morrisburg, just down river. It got about 5 degrees colder. The wind was at a standstill.

Do you forgive me for my wrestler finger ?

I am sorry for thinking you were ever not real !

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
We drove out to Long Point and set up along the side of the on the causeway going out into the bay. Lots of visibility across the water, you could see the "dark" approaching.

Had one big cloud overhead for about half of the buildup, but it was actually pretty cool because the clouds did enough filtering that the crescent out of the sun was visible with the naked eye. And it cleared away 10 minutes before totality, so we had perfectly clear skies.

I can't say that we noticed anything particular from the birds around us. But the temperature drop was very noticeable. And I agree with everyone else's observation, it's absolutely crazy how even the tiniest sliver of exposed sun meant it was still basically full daylight! Albeit in a very odd colour, like looking through sunglasses.

I agree it's impossible to capture in pictures! Really, really surreal to experience - I didn't think it would be that cool! I'm glad the wife's family wanted to make the effort to get somewhere with a great view.

Another neat part was, it went dark and we all cheered, and then 10 seconds later we could hear everyone in Port Rowan across the water cheer as it got to them!
Nice to hear from someone who was on the same peninsula! I was at Long Point Provincial Park and it was just incredibly beautiful and breathtaking. I was SO happy when the clouds started breaking about just before 2pm and when that cloud passed over just before totality. I even got a tan and a bit of burn on my face and arms from the partially eclipsed sun! The temperature drop from totality made everyone put on sweatshirts and coats.

I took quite a few photos and totality and forgot about the settings for my camera as I was in such awe but the pics weren't all that bad considering I don't have an expensive telephoto lens.

It was amazing seeing the shadow approach over Lake Erie and then the orange sky all around. I brought some things suggested in videos which includes items of different colours. Once the sun was covered more than 90% you could see differences in the tones and how some colours were duller/darker and others brighter. My daughter made sure to bring a colander with small round holes and we got some great photos with it showing the shape of the eclipsed sun in the holes in the shadow of it.

As for birds, there were a bunch of what I think were Golden-crowned Kinglets in the tree above us on the dunes/beach. We watched the birds but they didn't make a sound until after totality when it started to get bright and they chirped for maybe a couple of minutes. It seemed as though they were behaving as if it was early morning.

We had made a day-use reservation as early as we could online and am glad we did. They were only allowing vehicles in with reservations. The beach is about 1.5 Km long so there was plenty of space for everyone. But what a beautiful spot for an amazing experience.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights99 View Post
I was told it dropped 10C in Knowlton, QC.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
It was frustrating as hell to try to take a pic. Luckily I was with my kids and I put my phone away to experience it with THEM after my one stupid photo. Seeing their reactions in front of my face is leagues better than any pic I took.
I didn’t even attempt to photograph the eclipse itself (as in, a zoomed-in shot). What’s the point? Millions of pictures have been shared already, many of high quality. Instead, I took a few pictures of the surrounding landscape in the dark, my family and my newborn during the event. Much more valuable than a close-up shot of the eclipse itself imo.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

We had made a day-use reservation as early as we could online and am glad we did. They were only allowing vehicles in with reservations. The beach is about 1.5 Km long so there was plenty of space for everyone. But what a beautiful spot for an amazing experience.
I was shocked we were able to just drive out and get a spot. My wife was in the car with her fam, and had the same thought I did, "it's going to be a zoo, let's not even try to get on the point" but they didn't listen to her, and I was arriving later than them, so was just going to try to get to wherever they found. But her mom ignored her/everyone and well, it worked out

Then again, we were aiming for the beginning of the eclipse, vs there were still people arriving / trying to drive further out all the way up until totality. Dunno what those people were thinking

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 7:47 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I didn’t even attempt to photograph the eclipse itself (as in, a zoomed-in shot). What’s the point? Millions of pictures have been shared already, many of high quality. Instead, I took a few pictures of the surrounding landscape in the dark, my family and my newborn during the event. Much more valuable than a close-up shot of the eclipse itself imo.
In the future, your kid will like that you took a picture of them on April 8, and not the thing blocking the sun.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:57 PM

Some DSLR shots I was able to get of the eclipse in Long Point.

LP2024SE-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

LP2024SE-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

LP2024SE-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

LP2024SE-4 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

LP2024SE-5 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

LP2024SE-6 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:22 PM

Amazing shots. And this is why I’d rather leave it to the experts to capture this special moment in detail.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada