HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Toll owns all the blacktop on the north side surrounding that office building and all the dirt on the south side.

This monstrosity was proposed for that lot in 2011.

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/projects/.../Z-35-06ph.pdf
"Look Toto! The Emerald City!"

That's what I envision tourists saying when seeing Phoenix for the first time if these were ever built

I don't mind a few towers on that lot though. But scale them down about 150' and get rid of that awful green color.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:58 PM

Personally, I like them!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Personally, I like them!
Me too. If tourists flew in seeing this, they would say, "Wow!"

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post

That's what I envision tourists saying when seeing Phoenix for the first time if these were ever built

I don't mind a few towers on that lot though. But scale them down about 150' and get rid of that awful green color.
those would have been cool

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:40 PM

So that's awesome, it's a parking lot for overflow from one of the buildings on the north side of Thomas (CenturyLink Tower?) or the ones at the corner that Banner just moved into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Toll owns all the blacktop on the north side surrounding that office building and all the dirt on the south side.

This monstrosity was proposed for that lot in 2011.

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/projects/.../Z-35-06ph.pdf

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:58 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:

I actually would really like these too and would love to see more height uptown than 150' to challenge the status quo of the underwhelming skyline of such a large city. Are you serious about that?

Even the green isn't that bad, though I'm sure it would look outdated in the near future.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
I actually would really like these too and would love to see more height uptown than 150' to challenge the status quo of the underwhelming skyline of such a large city. Are you serious about that?

Even the green isn't that bad, though I'm sure it would look outdated in the near future.
There was a job posting on Monster yesterday that was posted 3 days ago. The posting has been taken down now meaning it's probably been filled.

The job posting was...wait for it...for a Construction Manager position in Phoenix requiring high-rise construction experience for guess who...Toll Brothers. Something may be up for that lot, but I can't find anything else. I would doubt the green buildings above would be the current design if anything is getting built. I'm not even sure they could fill half of that development? That's a LOT of square footage!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
There was a job posting on Monster yesterday that was posted 3 days ago. The posting has been taken down now meaning it's probably been filled.

The job posting was...wait for it...for a Construction Manager position in Phoenix requiring high-rise construction experience for guess who...Toll Brothers. Something may be up for that lot, but I can't find anything else. I would doubt the green buildings above would be the current design if anything is getting built. I'm not even sure they could fill half of that development? That's a LOT of square footage!
As I said In the tempe thread I'm astonished at the amount of housing multi-family going up. where is all the demand coming from?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
As I said In the tempe thread I'm astonished at the amount of housing multi-family going up. where is all the demand coming from?
Just posted a reply to that, lol

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 8:18 PM
Modulator

Huge hole at Edison and it's and completely filled with water....along with the 1st/Monterey intersection. Looks like a ruptured a water main. City of Phoenix employees trying to shut the water off

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 8:45 PM
Modulator

Decided to check out the Roanoke site and it appears this is just an employee staging area for the apartment complex getting renovated a 1/2 block down the street. There is an RT Brown Mechanical trailer now in the lot. They do air conditioning work and I seen a few workers at the apartment working on AC equipment. Looks like a false alarm guys!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 9:15 PM
Modulator

...and yet another update. Sorry guys. Slow day at work!

There are 3 trailers parked at McKinley Row. One trailer has a few prefab concrete blocks, the other 2 are empty. No construction equipment onsite. Not sure if this is an indication that construction will start soon or if they just parked the trailers there for something else...maybe Circles demolition equipment?

*Edit
No McKinley Row start. The trailers are for pulling the tower crane down for Illuminate and putting the tower crane back up for Union.

Does anyone have any news on McKinley Row?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 10:02 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post

Zoning for more height north of the I-10 is an awful idea. You see all those empty lots and parking lots we have now, right? Thats because they're zoned for huge height and the empty lots pay very little in property taxes. So if you own the land, just sit on it empty until you can someday maybe develop a tower. Zoning for more height would only encourage people to sit on land even longer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Zoning for more height north of the I-10 is an awful idea. You see all those empty lots and parking lots we have now, right? Thats because they're zoned for huge height and the empty lots pay very little in property taxes. So if you own the land, just sit on it empty until you can someday maybe develop a tower. Zoning for more height would only encourage people to sit on land even longer.
Imagine how much bigger downtown would be had all those buildings along central been centered in the core

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 10:18 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Imagine how much bigger downtown would be had all those buildings along central been centered in the core
Yah upzoning Central Ave was probably a mistake. But in the 50s/60s when we saw 400% growth people obviously thought "this will last forever!" and couldn't have foreseen the current situation.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 1:23 AM
Modulator

So, a break from the Circles arguments...

Edison Midtown officially had ground breaking on the 14th according to their Facebook page. There is a ton of equipment onsite to validate this. Also, Alta Thomas is now going vertical. Luhrs Marriott has completed the 17th floor and the facade is getting installed on the first few levels. It is looking nice after seeing it almost at full height. The tower crane is now in place at Union and they are working on the 3rd level. Linear is almost topped out and Broadmore Arts District looks about topped out. That school behind the library (can't remember the name at the moment) is about 1/2 razed. Still no information as to what's going there. Dirt is moving on the Alliance development where Paz Cantina used to be located. Good to see this going.

Thus concludes my Sunday drive updates. Lots going on!

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Apr 18, 2016 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Dirt is moving on the Alliance development where Paz Cantina used to be located. Good to see this going.
This is good news, hopefully full blown construction is imminent... I didn't want Paz/Bodega to be lost for no reason and it sucked that we gained so much at 3rd/Roosevelt on at least partially empty lots and then lost more existing buildings creating another huge empty lot.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 6:12 PM

Emerald Towers

Quote:

I would be totally behind that project. Bring it on.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:55 AM

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:11 AM
Skyriser

Beautiful!

What an improvement for that site.

This already looks like a done deal, in larger markets the developer is constructing 50 story high-rises and has oodles of multifamily experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest