HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 3:41 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I think it's downright retarded how many Starbucks downtown Phoenix has. I think I've been to one of them once in the last 6 years.
Interesting. I was only aware of one (Wyndham). If the find-a-Starbucks app on my phone works properly, there are 5 in the area inside surrrounded by I-10/I-17 and 3 of them appear to be serving as internal coffee shops at large places (City Hall, US Airways Center, etc.). That doesn't seem all that, um. retarded.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 3:47 PM
BANNED

AZ Center and inside the Sheraton's Link Cafe which serves Starbucks exclusively are 2 more off the top of my head.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:01 PM
BANNED

Arizona center
Wyndham
Us airways center
Convention center
Asu dorms
County courts
Sheraton

I think there are a couple more

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:55 PM

I think it would be cool if Phoenix had a nice coffee shop like Frasier and Niles go to in "Frasier". It seems like they're either a corporate chain like Starbucks, or a more hip/trendy local place. Where's the business casual local coffee shop?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I think it would be cool if Phoenix had a nice coffee shop like Frasier and Niles go to in "Frasier". It seems like they're either a corporate chain like Starbucks, or a more hip/trendy local place. Where's the business casual local coffee shop?
It was supposed to be a Seattle's Best, but whatever opened on the west side of Phelps Dodge building is what you are describing.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:14 PM

Cool. I was half-way joking, but Frasier's coffee shop is always happenin' and feels urban.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:21 PM
BANNED

ahhh well yeah I know exactly what you're referencing. The coffee shop that Friends ripped off.

That place kind of accomplishes that though, just minus the busyness.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 9:24 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
It was supposed to be a Seattle's Best, but whatever opened on the west side of Phelps Dodge building is what you are describing.
Yes, that's City Central Coffee. "Business casual" is just the right way to describe it. It's on Central just across from the Central / Washington light rail station in the ground floor of the building Phelps Dodge used to be in.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 10:44 PM

When I lived in Seattle, there were little independently owned "Espresso Stands" everywhere.. they were little temporary shack type buildings with a drive thru and you'd see them everywhere from parking lots to random empty street corners... they served everything from coffee to smoothies to snacks, and some featured bikini-clad college girls working them or shirtless dudes..

I wish they could do that here to fill up some of the empty space downtown

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 3:41 AM

The wrapping on the office tower is a big ass add for QUEST.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:23 AM

6am!!! Wow that is early as hell...I don't drink Starbucks either I prefer Lola at Gold Spot, Royal Coffee Bar is awesome (but haven't been there in a while admittedly), and of course Lux. If you can go slightly out of your way to Melrose, Copper Star is really good and they are open at 6am...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
6am!!! Wow that is early as hell...I don't drink Starbucks either I prefer Lola at Gold Spot, Royal Coffee Bar is awesome (but haven't been there in a while admittedly), and of course Lux. If you can go slightly out of your way to Melrose, Copper Star is really good and they are open at 6am...
I admit I almost never stray from Lux, but the guy who owns copper star is so nice it makes me want to be a regular. Really takes care of people. On that note though, jeff who owns Lux is super cool too. Conundrum!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I admit I almost never stray from Lux, but the guy who owns copper star is so nice it makes me want to be a regular. Really takes care of people. On that note though, jeff who owns Lux is super cool too. Conundrum!
Lux is great, I am excited about their expansion!

Is Fair Trade Cafe local? I forgot to mention them earlier since they also open at 6a.m.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 2:36 PM

Copper Star and its proprietor are awesome, and I go there on weekends. Unfortunately, I am a bicycle commuter so riding two miles out of my way for a cup of coffee is not really practical.

On the topic of Cityscape--is that Workbench place still there or is it gone? I know it was temporary, but they had a table I liked.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 3:30 PM
METRO: Encanto

I tend to inhabit Fair Trade (the one at Roosevelt) or Lola's (the one at Roosevelt).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:16 PM

So is this where it stops for now? Yeah the rebars are poking out and the stage/bar area has metal beams for lights now. Elevators are getting ready for their motors??

azscraper drinks tea

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:18 PM
BANNED

Nice! I called it. Again.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 6:55 PM

ok...first...I don't post here often...however, I do read and look at this sight. I think your pictuires you guys take...are great...apprecaite you continuing with the pics.

I am 400 miles away...sometimes...it is funny to see people right there...not know what is going on. ASU is NOT building a med school in downtown Phoenix. The UofA is. They do joint projects at T-Gen - next door.

No one seems to know if RED is going to continue building on top of the Palomar (Kimpton) Hotel. So, I called RED - and got ahold of a Keith Earnest. He indicated that he is the person that knows what is going on. He said that the hotel should be open by next April. As far as the continuation on top of the hotel: He said that there have been changes in their plans...however, they have settled on building multi-family (apartments) on top of the Palomar Hotel. Keith said that the design has changed since the original design...and that the building will top out at only about 23 floors - instead of the original 34 floors. Keith also said that there will be some lag time - like 3 months - when they start up on building the apartments...I lost him here a little - however, I think he said that the construction for the aprtments would begin later this year(?) I also lost him a little on the completion date...however, I believe he said the apartments would be ready by 2013. Whether this happens or not...that is what he said. if you want to call and talk to him - call Keith Earnest in RED's (Scottsdale?) office. His number has a 480 area code - so, I am figuring it is located in Scottsdale.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 7:03 PM

AZCATS - you rock! Thanks!!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
BANNED

I want to talk about something other than mythical medical schools which I will not be attending

Perhaps something CityScape related is actually happening right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest