HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
That's a great idea. I just wonder if Macys would be willing to give up their "corner lot" (University Parkway and State St.).
Not only is that corner a MUCH more prominent location, but, the current Macys store has a lot more square footage than the location that Nordstrom is vacating. So if Macys were to move, I would imagine it would only be temporary to update the current location. I see it as more likely that IF they were to update that they would just do it in sections and keep the current location through the process.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:48 PM

Payson planners unanimously OK Mormon temple plans

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53...ermit.html.csp

Donald W. Meyers
The Salt Lake Tribune

Payson • The Planning Commission Wednesday night approved plans submitted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for its Payson Temple.

The Commission unanimously recommended approval of a conditional-use permit for the 96,000-square-foot structure, as well as the temple’s site plan and an adjustment of a boundary between two tracts in connection with the temple construction..

Courtsey LDS Church Artist's rendition of the Payson Temple.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 1:49 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Sorry to disappoint you Poodle, but Marshall Fields was part of May company which got purchased by Macy's. Marshall Fields stores are now all Macy's, even the one in downtown Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 1:15 PM

Construction work starting at Point of the Mountain for Murdock canal enclosure project

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...e-project.html

By Sam Penrod, Deseret News

PROVO — Heavy machinery is being used at Point of the Mountain on both sides of I-15 for a very complicated construction project directly below the freeway.

The construction is part of a $150 million pipeline that will completely enclose what is now an open canal...

ksl.com

bloximages.chicago2

Related:

Gerber to build trail atop Murdock Canal - Hiking • 16-mile trail to run
through 7 cities, over enclosed canal.

By Donald W. Meyers
The Salt Lake Tribune

A Lehi-based contractor is building a 16-mile trail on top of the soon-to-be enclosed Murdock Canal.

The Utah Department of Transportation awarded Gerber Construction a $12.1 million contract to build a multiple-use trail from the mouth of Provo Canyon to Cabela’s in Lehi, according to UDOT spokesman Scott Thompson. The trail will sit on the Murdock Canal, which the Provo River Water Users Association is enclosing in a 10.5-foot diameter pipe.

The only other bidders for the project were Ames Construction, which came in at $14.48 million, and Geneva Rock, at $14.49 million. Ames is the contractor on the $150 million canal enclosure project and is also part of the Provo River Constructors consortium that is rebuilding Interstate 15 in Utah County.

The trail project is a joint venture involving UDOT, Utah County, the water users association and the cities of Orem, Lindon, Pleasant Grove, Cedar Hills, American Fork, Highland and Lehi. The trail will provide space for hikers, cyclists and horseback riders.

Richard Nielson, Utah County’s public works director, said the construction will depend on how quickly crews can pipe and bury the canal, also known as the Provo Reservoir Canal.

Steve Cain, the water users’ facilities and land manager, said work began in December on the segment that will go between the north end of Pleasant Grove and the east side of Lehi. So far, 3,000 feet of pipe have been laid.

The next segment, going from Lehi to the Jordan Narrows, will be finished this summer. The project is expected to be completed by spring 2012.

Cain said the trail work will likely have to wait until then.

“The only thing we’re not sure yet is how to dovetail the trail work with the fiber-optic system that gets installed with the canal enclosure,” Cain said.

The 90-year-old canal carries water from the Provo River at Provo Canyon to the Jordan River at the Jordan Narrows in Lehi. The canal is owned by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation and operated by the water users.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 4:19 PM
Bring out the cranes...

It's a canal.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 11:44 AM

One year left in I-15 CORE project through Utah County

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ah-County.html

Construction work of the Pioneer Crossing Project along I-15 in American Fork where the Mountain View Corridor connects with I-15 and American Fork. May 25, 2010 (Stuart Johnson, Deseret News)

Lisa Riley Roche

LEHI — Let the countdown begin. There's just one year to go before the I-15 CORE project through Utah County is finished...

...So far, UDOT reports, those crews have put in 4.5 million hours, doing everything from excavating more than 6 million tons of dirt to pouring nearly 250 miles of concrete pavement.

UDOT is on schedule to complete the $1.7 billion reconstruction of the freeway from Lehi to Spanish Fork in 35 months, she said.

"We want to let everyone know we have only a year left on this project," Nelson said. "However, we still do have a lot of work to do."

That work includes completing two bridges at 100 East and 300 West in American Fork; reconstructing interchanges at 1600 North, 800 North and Center Street in Orem; finishing the Provo Center Street interchange; and widening U.S. 6 from I-15 to 1000 North in Spanish Fork.

New pedestrian crossings under the freeway are also being built near Utah Valley University. One will be west of the campus under the northbound University Parkway on-ramp and the other, under University Parkway at Sandhill Road...

Last edited by delts145; Jan 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 4:25 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Wakeboard park may surface in Eagle Mountain

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighbo...eagle.html.csp

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 5:09 PM

Can anyone take some update photos of the new Adobe campus, and the new large Data Center near Camp Williams? both are currently under construction.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 11:43 AM

UVU opens Business Resource Center

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...231c06d08.html

Genelle Pugmire,The Daily Herald

Once known as the sand dunes of Orem, where Gov. Gary Herbert says he used to catch lizards, now stands Utah Valley University's Business Resource Center, a one-stop-shopping experience for entrepreneurs and business development in Utah County.

On Friday, Utah Valley University President Matthew Holland gathered business, political and academic leaders to cut the ribbon and open the 24,842-square-foot facility...

Guests, including Utah Governor Gary Herbert, center, with UVU President Matthew Holland, take part in a ribbon cutting ceremony celebrating the opening of UVU's new Business Resource Center in Orem Friday, Jan. 6, 2012. MARK JOHNSTON/Daily Herald

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:53 PM

It looks like an interesting building. Anybody care to take some pics?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 5:25 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

One thing that is bothering me about the I-15 Core project in Utah County is that while they are using the same light fixtures that were used in the SL County rebuild, they aren't using LED bulbs, they have installed the same standard bulbs that the ones in SL Co have. Seems like something that fell through the cracks.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 1:51 PM

Hmm... I thought this quote from the article was particularly interesting. What do you want to bet that this department store will somehow find it's way to the University Mall. Perhaps, both Gordman's and Marshall's will pick up the slack from the Nordstrom and Mervyn's vacancies.

Station Park in Farmington,...The open-air center has had success in getting first-to-Utah stores, such as Gordman’s, a discount-oriented department store set to open in the development in the spring.

Retail sector stages a comeback in Utah

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ation.html.csp

By Leslie Mitchell
The Salt Lake Tribune

...Thain said Utah’s economy — in the top five in terms of job creation — is one factor in the increased retail activity. But perhaps even more so, he said, companies such as Crate & Barrel and H&M are reporting that the performances of their first Utah locations have exceeded expectations. “The numbers speak for themselves,” Thain said.

Strong sales, for example, have prompted Cheesecake Factory to open a second Utah location, in City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City, as a companion to its first, at Fashion Place Mall, which opened in 2007...

Last edited by delts145; Jan 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 6:13 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
One thing that is bothering me about the I-15 Core project in Utah County is that while they are using the same light fixtures that were used in the SL County rebuild, they aren't using LED bulbs, they have installed the same standard bulbs that the ones in SL Co have. Seems like something that fell through the cracks.
Are there any commercially available LED bulbs that meet NHTSA specs for freeway lighting? It's one thing to find LEDs for traffic signals. It's another to illuminate the pavement.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 4:31 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Are there any commercially available LED bulbs that meet NHTSA specs for freeway lighting? It's one thing to find LEDs for traffic signals. It's another to illuminate the pavement.
I realize that the height is vastly different, however the street lights on 700 E from I-80 to S. Temple is 100% LED, or very close to. I think there is one or two that haven't been replaced, and it's amazing to see the difference in light pollution upwards from the old street lights to the new. There is a stark line of light with the LED's.

It could simply be a factor of the ones on I-15 are so much higher that LED's won't be effective, but I doubt that as the one's on the surface streets seem to be brighter.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 1:36 AM

some new finds

Check out this Vegas glam smack in the middle of a rural Utah setting.

http://www.scholz-arch.com/projects01.html

This was proposed for Springville in 2005. It's 14 stories tall. It was planned to be the world headquarters of an emerging health product manufacturer and distributor. It was to be the tallest structure in Utah County.

Here's another another old proposed building for Springville:

Here's one for America Fork:

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 2:48 PM

Wow. Um...shiny?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 2:03 AM

That building in the upper right hand corner has already been built. At least, I think that's the one that is on the west side of I-15. It's pretty fancy and seems kind of odd out there by itself. Of course, it will probably be surrounded by others in the future, as part of that business park.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:42 AM

So... The Outlets at Traverse Mountain is well on it's way to completion. I hadn't realized that it is scheduled to be open in November of this year. It will include a 200 ft tall (!!!!) LED sign. Las Vegas style. Here is a conceptual drawing:

Here are some of the stores (unofficial) that are expected to open:

• Adidas
• Aeropostale
• Banana Republic
• Bass
• Calvin Klein
• Carter's
• Charlotte Russe
• Chico's
• Children's Place
• Coach
• Cole Haan
• GAP
• Gymboree
• Hanes
• Izod
• J. Crew
• Johnny Rockets
• Jones New York
• Journeys
• Kasper
• Le Creuset
• Levi's
• LOFT
• Nike
• OshKosh B'gosh
• Polo Ralph Lauren
• Reebok
• Samsonite
• Tommy Hilfiger
• Van Heusen
• Vans
• Vitamin World
• Wilson's Leather
• Zumiez

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:45 AM

Um.. what is this?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Um.. what is this?
I just told you! It's the Outlets at Traverse Mountain!

It'll be just south of the Cabelas in Lehi. It was originally announced in 2006, died for a bit and was resurrected last summer. Looks to be fully ready to go here soon. Big project and that sign is gigantic...

Here is the most recent Daily Herald article:

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...0e379677b.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West