HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
or starting in spring 2021 to remove the Fire Hall and hammer in the pilings. Montgomery Ave is being rebuilt from Fairfax to Coverdale in 2022 so this is going to be a busy corner.
And don't forget the traffic chaos from closing the causeway.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
This must mean a fall 2021 start date, right? I can’t see this being a less than two year construction project.
There is a disconnect here for sure. To meet an aggressive fall 2023 occupancy, one would think that construction would have to begin by this fall at the latest.

Thrive Properties is being very aggressive. They are starting site prep for The Tides a little further east on Coverdale, there will be a construction crane installed in the next couple of months on Lady Ada for their eight storey project there and they recently received approval for their first (six storey) apartment building on Twin Oaks. Throw the twin 10 storey towers at The Current into the mix and this has to be one of the most ambitious construction schedules for any single development company in metro Moncton history.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:42 PM

Thrive Properties does have a lot of construction projects on their plate. I think the timelines will be adjusted as necessary. For example, when they announced the Tides early last year, they had said construction would start "later this year" (2020). With all the other projects happening around the city, just finding construction workers is a challenge in and of itself. But I take my hat off to Thrive, they're creating some nice buildings in the area. Coverdale Road will look very different in a few years.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:10 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is a disconnect here for sure. To meet an aggressive fall 2023 occupancy, one would think that construction would have to begin by this fall at the latest.

Thrive Properties is being very aggressive. They are starting site prep for The Tides a little further east on Coverdale, there will be a construction crane installed in the next couple of months on Lady Ada for their eight storey project there and they recently received approval for their first (six storey) apartment building on Twin Oaks. Throw the twin 10 storey towers at The Current into the mix and this has to be one of the most ambitious construction schedules for any single development company in metro Moncton history.
Having all these projects concurrently may mean having tools and contractors available when they need them. Each crew could be scheduled to move from project to project. This gives Thrive control over priorities and timelines as long as they are staggering stages.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Having all these projects concurrently may mean having tools and contractors available when they need them. Each crew could be scheduled to move from project to project. This gives Thrive control over priorities and timelines as long as they are staggering stages.
Very good point. I had not thought of that.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 6:05 PM

Although the Town of Riverview announced that they've sold the chocolate river station in June of last year, the closing date is March 31st 2021. So will Thrive Properties demolish the building this spring/summer? If so that would allow them to start with things like site preparation and sub grade work this year.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:41 PM

Looks like they're getting ready to apply the siding on the 14 unit apartment building under construction on Pine Glen Rd. They were able to get it weather tight in the fall so I imaging they'll be ready to lease later in the summer. Not a large building but a nice little infilling project.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Although the Town of Riverview announced that they've sold the chocolate river station in June of last year, the closing date is March 31st 2021. So will Thrive Properties demolish the building this spring/summer? If so that would allow them to start with things like site preparation and sub grade work this year.
Yeah if the did demolition in early summer they should be able to get site prep going and be ready for conversation to start in the fall. I imagine that Thrive has carefully planned out each of their projects and staggered them accordingly so as to maximize the work force and the construction season too.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Yeah if the did demolition in early summer they should be able to get site prep going and be ready for conversation to start in the fall. I imagine that Thrive has carefully planned out each of their projects and staggered them accordingly so as to maximize the work force and the construction season too.
Yes demo first, and by then the Tides site prep would be done. They could then start their site prep at the Current.
Thrive Properties is currently doing a major project on P.E.I. - West Royalty Suites. It's 5 floors with 97 units, which is supposed to be ready this fall. I'm not sure how it works, but could those workers come over to work on the Moncton area projects that Thrive is planning to build? I would imagine that there is a good sized crew in P.E.I. working on such a large project.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:04 AM

I was by the MoeMar apartment building site on Runnymede Rd. earlier. The crane is up, and there's a huge load of lumber on site. I also noticed that they've already built the accessory buildings which are part of the project. On the plans, the one at the back is described as a salt storage building and the ones on Runnymede are shown as storage garages. Two buildings, totaling 126 units. Quite the project!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see there is a movement afoot to name the new bridge over the Petitcodiac the Rebecca Schofield Bridge.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
I see there is a movement afoot to name the new bridge over the Petitcodiac the Rebecca Schofield Bridge.
She was an inspiration. Never thought about it, but I assume they'll have to name the new bridge.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I assume they'll have to name the new bridge.
Indeed.

For purely historical reasons, I've always favoured the idea of calling the new bridge the R.B. Bennett Memorial Bridge. He was the only New Brunswicker ever to become Prime Minister, and he hales from Albert County. He has a poor reputation because of the misfortune of having governed during the depression, but he was responsible for some important reforms during his time in office including the creation of the Bank of Canada, the CBC and the nation's first unemployment insurance program. It's time he was rehabilitated.

But, if there is a popular push to name the bridge after brave Rebecca, I would not object.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Indeed.

For purely historical reasons, I've always favoured the idea of calling the new bridge the R.B. Bennett Memorial Bridge. He was the only New Brunswicker ever to become Prime Minister, and he hales from Albert County. He has a poor reputation because of the misfortune of having governed during the depression, but he was responsible for some important reforms during his time in office including the creation of the Bank of Canada, the CBC and the nation's first unemployment insurance program. It's time he was rehabilitated.

But, if there is a popular push to name the bridge after brave Rebecca, I would not object.
I'm sure they'll get a lot of suggestions. If I were to guess, I'd say they go with something historical. But naming it after Becca Schofield would also be great. I wonder when we'll know - probably after it's completely finished.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Odds are her name will be forgotten in a few years, I'd much rather see the bridge named after something historical, perhaps relating to the Mik'Maw Confederacy whose land we are all living on.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:57 PM

just my 2 cents , i think that a more suitable item be named in Becca's honor, such as a new trail at Mill Creek where you can reflect fully on the good deeds this young lady brought to our world and has had it spread worldwide, maybe some seating beside a singing brook where you can sit and enjoy your thoughts and enjoy your time. The bridge is just a piece of concrete and steel , i really have a hard time connecting Becca to this structure as to me just does not fit. i am a resident of Riverview and followed her journey of kindness so lets keep in mind this wonderful young lady and her amazing family and what they have accomplished.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 4:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Excellent thought. There will likely be a public consultation process. You should consider making your voice heard there.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY386 View Post
just my 2 cents , i think that a more suitable item be named in Becca's honor, such as a new trail at Mill Creek where you can reflect fully on the good deeds this young lady brought to our world and has had it spread worldwide, maybe some seating beside a singing brook where you can sit and enjoy your thoughts and enjoy your time. The bridge is just a piece of concrete and steel , i really have a hard time connecting Becca to this structure as to me just does not fit. i am a resident of Riverview and followed her journey of kindness so lets keep in mind this wonderful young lady and her amazing family and what they have accomplished.
I agree. And they could also announce the naming of the bridge & something else for Becca at the same time, so those who want the bridge named after her won't be disappointed. I think there'll be people pushing to have the bridge named after Becca. But I can't see them doing that. I think at some point we'll just hear an announcement telling us a name for the bridge has been decided upon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Odds are her name will be forgotten in a few years, I'd much rather see the bridge named after something historical, perhaps relating to the Mik'Maw Confederacy whose land we are all living on.
hahah going off of your suggestion of someone who is Mi'kmaq I'd like to suggest Daniel N Paul. Miꞌkmaq elder, author, columnist, and human rights activist from Indian Brook FN in NB. He was a residential school survivor. He did many big and important things. Although not from Moncton he is an inspirational mi'kmaq new brunswicker
or Chief Jean Baptiste Cope who recieved highest rank given to a mi'kmaq.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 9:47 PM

As long as they don't do something stupid and call it the Riverview bridge!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces