Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:37 PM

Updated 75 E Broadway renderings.

Can someone please resize for me?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
At 240', 18-19 stories it won't be a second tallest. Too bad they couldn't eke out another 20 feet or so, but renderings look better than the previous version.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:23 PM

Quote:
This design is much better than the last one

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:59 PM

Yea...this design is better than what we saw before...but if the 240' is correct then this makes it the 4th tallest building in Tucson. How sad. To go to this expense to let the other older buildings remain the tallest. I dont understand what prevented them from going the few extra feet. I realize downtown Tucson has a 300' cap now...but there is no reason it couldn't or shouldn't have claimed that height.
One South Church = 330'
BofA Plaza = 264'
Pima County Bldg = 260'

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 9:59 PM

that design looks so much better THANK GOODNESS. also is there anything that can be done about the height cap? i don't really understand why we still have it, i think it's ridiculous saying that 330 feet obstructs any mountain views

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan.x.ito View Post
that design looks so much better THANK GOODNESS. also is there anything that can be done about the height cap? i don't really understand why we still have it, i think it's ridiculous saying that 330 feet obstructs any mountain views
Not sure who to complain to about it. Seems like an old rule and maybe the people that decided that height are no longer in office. I imagine the topic needs to be brought up with City Council and those elected to change the rules. But to me you'd need a lot of buildings wanting to build to that 300' height and no one is doing it. This would have been the project to challenge it...but they didn't. At least they could have met it. They just need one or 2 more stories. They could have added another level of parking or some decorative architectural element or a skydeck on top. But nope. 4th tallest building. No marketing appeal at all to that.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:59 AM

Pretty sure the city would make things work if someone came along and wanted to build above the height limit. That's not what's preventing construction beyond that point right now, though.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure the city would make things work if someone came along and wanted to build above the height limit. That's not what's preventing construction beyond that point right now, though.
Well all I can say is I made countless appeals to both Peach Properties and Schwab to push this to be the tallest bldg in Tucson since we haven't had one built in 35 years. I even rendered what it could look like. I also suggested cutting the footprint of the structure down to 1/2-3/4 of the lot and go higher instead so they have the same bldg square footage. None of them responded or entertained my idea. This building is going to be massive in terms of width. A whole city block. Wider than all other 3 skyscrapers for sure. I think its a bit excessive. I would have preferred a thinner skyscraper with height.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
Well all I can say is I made countless appeals to both Peach Properties and Schwab to push this to be the tallest bldg in Tucson since we haven't had one built in 35 years. I even rendered what it could look like. I also suggested cutting the footprint of the structure down to 1/2-3/4 of the lot and go higher instead so they have the same bldg square footage. None of them responded or entertained my idea. This building is going to be massive in terms of width. A whole city block. Wider than all other 3 skyscrapers for sure. I think its a bit excessive. I would have preferred a thinner skyscraper with height.
It's interesting to hire a senior architect that love these designs... Any one of us could design something significantly better I liked the design for Speedway/campbell. The base was wide and expansive but it had a more slick elevation.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 10:02 PM

Like most if not all...not at all happy with height...I mean, why??? Why not go another 5 stories and make it tallest or at least (still don't see the point) 2nd tallest? But most definitely a more refined design so there's that...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 3:40 PM

Hampton Inn and Home2Suites Hotel Progress

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 3:45 PM

The new 8 story apartments on 127 S 5th Ave in downtown is called the Gallery on Fifth and the website has some photos.

https://www.galleryonfifth.com/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 10:06 PM

The building looks like a public housing project. In two years it's going to look like a dilapidated public housing project.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:44 AM

Listened in on the Rio Nuevo meeting on Tuesday and got some notes. I had sound issues on my laptop so I think I missed some things but here were some of my takeaways:

* Reilly Craft pizza wants to add a rooftop deck to it's space. Requested $200k but RN is agreeing to help with half if they plan on opening soon. ADS reported this recently.

* Swaim says extra meeting room space at TCC should be done in January 2022 and the renovations are underway at the Eckbo Plaza, I believe.

* 8 additional parkletts (outdoor seating) was approved.

* Gadsen Company presented an overview of MSA, MSA annex, Monier, and The Bautista. Says that sales are picking up at MSA annex and one of the tenets, Why I Love Where I Live, made $92k in December which was record breaking for them. Also, they added more shade in the annex and brick pavement to the stage entertainment area.

Monier apartments are nearing the construction finish line and will include retail as well. One tenet will be expanding from MSA annex into Monier and the other is from California. Gadsen Co. wants to include a Wellness Center on parcel D which is directly south of the Bautista. I didn't catch anything else on the Bautista or the construction timeline, unfortunately, except that RN extended the "closing date" to end of August.

*Perhaps the biggest news at the meeting was that a major production network is interested in coming to Tucson with a presence in the downtown area I believe. Fletcher says this could potentially be an economical gain of $160 million per year with a production crew of a 100 staying year round. They are trying to entice them with the help of Visit Tucson and maybe the governor.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Listened in on the Rio Nuevo meeting on Tuesday and got some notes. I had sound issues on my laptop so I think I missed some things but here were some of my takeaways:

* Reilly Craft pizza wants to add a rooftop deck to it's space. Requested $200k but RN is agreeing to help with half if they plan on opening soon. ADS reported this recently.

* Swaim says extra meeting room space at TCC should be done in January 2022 and the renovations are underway at the Eckbo Plaza, I believe.

* 8 additional parkletts (outdoor seating) was approved.

* Gadsen Company presented an overview of MSA, MSA annex, Monier, and The Bautista. Says that sales are picking up at MSA annex and one of the tenets, Why I Love Where I Live, made $92k in December which was record breaking for them. Also, they added more shade in the annex and brick pavement to the stage entertainment area.

Monier apartments are nearing the construction finish line and will include retail as well. One tenet will be expanding from MSA annex into Monier and the other is from California. Gadsen Co. wants to include a Wellness Center on parcel D which is directly south of the Bautista. I didn't catch anything else on the Bautista or the construction timeline, unfortunately, except that RN extended the "closing date" to end of August.

*Perhaps the biggest news at the meeting was that a major production network is interested in coming to Tucson with a presence in the downtown area I believe. Fletcher says this could potentially be an economical gain of $160 million per year with a production crew of a 100 staying year round. They are trying to entice them with the help of Visit Tucson and maybe the governor.

What do you mean a "major production network"? Are we talking along the lines of Netflix or something like that? I only say that because I have inside info Netflix and ABQ Studios were trying to acquire Old Tucson Studios but Pima County officials have always had other plans for OTS. I've already heard who will win the contract. But having any film production network here to support the film industry would be amazing.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:07 AM

Quote:
What do you mean a "major production network"? Are we talking along the lines of Netflix or something like that? I only say that because I have inside info Netflix and ABQ Studios were trying to acquire Old Tucson Studios but Pima County officials have always had other plans for OTS. I've already heard who will win the contract. But having any film production network here to support the film industry would be amazing.
There wasn't any additional details but apparently it is a well known Network. I think we will know in May since apparently that's when the Network wants things to get moving..

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
There wasn't any additional details but apparently it is a well known Network. I think we will know in May since apparently that's when the Network wants things to get moving..
Do you know if they have these meetings recorded to watch? I'd love to hear what they said. I know they publish a transcript but that isn't released until the next meeting. Meaning I wont hear what was said until May 25th. Regardless...I hope they dont screw up this potential opportunity. Thanks for relaying the info! From what I've heard there are 3 new westerns in development from ViacomCBS. I'm guessing its one of those.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Do you know if they have these meetings recorded to watch? I'd love to hear what they said. I know they publish a transcript but that isn't released until the next meeting. Meaning I wont hear what was said until May 25th. Regardless...I hope they dont screw up this potential opportunity. Thanks for relaying the info! From what I've heard there are 3 new westerns in development from ViacomCBS. I'm guessing its one of those.
Not that I know of but it would be great if they did or uploaded their transcripts immediately after.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 4:23 PM

A little progress video on Downtown links:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfl3vkABOr4

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 5:25 PM

I thought I had read (on here?) that the proposed project at the old Maloney's site on 4th Ave. was dead (but I can't seem to find where I might have read that).

Anyway, AZBEX is listing it in its Top 10 AZ projects for multi-family living currently in design. Hadn't heard much on it in a while so figured I'd update:

9. Partners on Fourth Mixed-Use

Partners on Fourth is planned as a 13-story building housing totaling 323 luxury rental units. Like The Ragsdale, this project will include ground floor retail and parking. It will also include one subgrade level. Partners on Fourth is replacing the Maloney’s Tavern Building at 213 N. 4th Avenue in Tucson.

The Opus Group is the developer, architect and general contractor for this $63.7M-$73M project. The Opus Group is waiting on the land sale to close before moving forward.

https://azbex.com/top-10-az-multifam...cts-in-design/https://azbex.com/top-10-az-multifam...cts-in-design/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest