HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:00 PM

If any candidate resorts to ad hominem answers rather than addressing the issue or concern, I stop listening.

That's one reason why politics is turnming off so many people. Don't wanna hear it

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
Wow. Starting a rant with what boils down to "you people" is a good way to get most readers to tune out after one sentence.
^ This. +1

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Lavigne View Post
No, I have never run for office before. So politically, this is my first time. Why didn't I run for councillor at first?
I didn't run for councillor first because I couldn't make the biggest impact that way. I run for mayor now, I start getting that name recognition, and hopefully 4 or 8 years down the road, Hamiltonians will realize that all these people that they keep voting in over and over again, aren't the people for the job.
Delusions of grandeur?

The best course of action would have been to attend a local ward meeting - once or twice at least. And then perhaps get involved in some sort of ward or city-wide initiative of some sort - you know, whatever interests you (aside from 'waste' I'm not sure what that might be). And then, maybe, run for city council or mayor...maybe.

You've missed several steps - IMO - and as someone who loves this city, I find it offensive what you're doing. Everybody gives Baldasaro a break because, well, he's really, really high. You, on the other hand, seem relatively sober, so there's little excuse. I think it would be best to take a step back and regroup because storming City Hall and slashing the budget, aside from being completely boring and cliche, is never going to happen.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 1:24 PM

Former city & regional councillor Don Ross is running for mayor. I know nothing about him. Anyone remember much from when he was on council?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 6:42 PM

^ I think I worked for that guy years ago. If it's the same person anyway, he seemed like a good businessman and a nice guy.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:16 PM

CBC Hamilton spoke with Don Ross. Not my type of candidate based on his answers to a few questions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ayor-1.2508261

From the article:
Here are Ross’s positions on some key Hamilton issues:

Aerotropolis — The aerotropolis, or Airport Employment Growth District plan, will see 555 hectares slated for development around the airport. Hamilton lacks industrial and employment lands, Ross said, and he is in favour of the aerotropolis. In fact, “it probably isn’t big enough,” he said.

Mid-Peninsula highway — Ross is in favour of a highway running from Toronto to Niagara. It would be “really beneficial” for the region, he said.

U.S. Steel — Last year, U.S. Steel announced it would permanently halt steel making in Hamilton. Ross said if he was mayor, he wouldn’t wait for U.S. Steel to come to him. “I’d be going down to visit the president of U.S. Steel and say ‘What are your plans for my city?’”

Two-way streets — Ross believes in examining two-way street conversion case by case so as not to “change the dynamics” of downtown Hamilton. That includes looking at how they impact travel time. He has concerns about the current bus-only lane running through a portion of King Street, he said.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:26 PM
Hammer'd

Definite old boys club candidate there...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
CBC Hamilton spoke with Don Ross. Not my type of candidate based on his answers to a few questions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ayor-1.2508261

From the article:
Here are Ross’s positions on some key Hamilton issues:

Aerotropolis — The aerotropolis, or Airport Employment Growth District plan, will see 555 hectares slated for development around the airport. Hamilton lacks industrial and employment lands, Ross said, and he is in favour of the aerotropolis. In fact, “it probably isn’t big enough,” he said.

Mid-Peninsula highway — Ross is in favour of a highway running from Toronto to Niagara. It would be “really beneficial” for the region, he said.

U.S. Steel — Last year, U.S. Steel announced it would permanently halt steel making in Hamilton. Ross said if he was mayor, he wouldn’t wait for U.S. Steel to come to him. “I’d be going down to visit the president of U.S. Steel and say ‘What are your plans for my city?’”

Two-way streets — Ross believes in examining two-way street conversion case by case so as not to “change the dynamics” of downtown Hamilton. That includes looking at how they impact travel time. He has concerns about the current bus-only lane running through a portion of King Street, he said.
Yikes!

Old school for sure.

Pretty much wrong answers for all those questions.

Scratch him off of my list for potential mayoral vote.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 10:08 PM

good - the more old farts we can get splitting the old fart vote, the better

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 12:28 AM

^But there are so many old farts!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 1:26 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^But there are so many old farts!
Time to open some windows.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:05 PM

Don Ross sounds a lot like Larry DiIanni. Maybe that means Larry won't have to run this time? I hope he does - if we end up with another old school mayor, we're better with the devil we know.

I hope Mark Chamberlain runs. Imagine a candidate with business clout and experience who also supports complete streets. It seems to be one or the other with the slate of candidates we have.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 10:33 PM

problem is if you're Mark Chamberlain you're too busy running functional businesses and non-profits so why bother changing it up to 'run' a dysfunctional council

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 5:14 PM

I learned on the weekend that Fred Eisenberger will be running for mayor again.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 3:25 AM

^Running in the next election might be a good strategic move. If no interesting names decide to run, it'll come down to him and Bratina Could he possibly lose again?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 3:33 AM

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Jan 28, 2014 at 3:33 AM. Reason: double post

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:40 AM
Ham-burgher

Saw this link on Twitter earlier:
https://mchattie2014.ca/

However, I have yet to see bobra.ca

Looks like McHattie hits most of the main issues, at least at a high level. Nothing overt about key and divisive topics like LRT though... probably wise, for the website.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 11:55 AM

^Forgot about McHattie.

So, we've got BoBra, Eisenberger and McHattie then.

I have no idea how the voting public feels about Bratina. I wouldn't put it past people to vote for him again.

Eisenberger? I would imagine voters generally have lukewarm feelings about him judging by the poor showing he made last time round.

McHattie could split votes with Eisenberger, unfortunately, and provide the perfect opportunity for our completely addled incumbent mayor to sneak in another term.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 2:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

McHattie gets support of 3 councillors at campaign launch

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...unch-1.2514987

They stopped short of an official endorsement, but three councillors stepped forward to publicly offer encouragement to mayoral hopeful Brian McHattie at his official campaign launch — even offering subtle discouragement to current mayor Bob Bratina.

Ward 2 councillor Jason Farr was the master of ceremonies. Flamborough councillor Robert Pasuta showed up in support. And Mountain councillor Terry Whitehead wrote a letter encouraging McHattie in his mayoral run, which Farr read at the packed event on Tuesday.

About 400 people attended the event at LIUNA Station, many of them environmentalists, transit advocates and “new Hamilton" urbanists. The team has work to do to reach out to the suburbs, McHattie said.

“That’s why I started this campaign so early…to have the opportunity to go right across the city, having events across the city,” he said.

“You start from where you live and you build out from there.”

Asked why he agreed to be the Ward 1 councillor's master of ceremonies, Farr said: “Brian has never failed to be there for me for the last three years. So I was honoured to be playing the role of master of ceremonies.”

If Bratina asked for a similar favour, Farr said, “I would have to check my calendar.”

Pasuta, who represents Ward 14, said he accepted McHattie’s invitation to the event because McHattie is a “friend and colleague.”

Conversely, if Bratina asked him to attend an event, Pasuta said he would attend “because he’s the mayor."

About 400 people gathered at the launch at LIUNA Station. (Samantha Craggs/CBC)

Whitehead’s letter, meanwhile, touted McHattie as a candidate who “deserves every serious consideration.”

“You make an excellent candidate for mayor,” wrote Whitehead, who often disagrees with McHattie at the council table. “Democracy is enriched when there are clear choices provided to the people of this community.”

It was a boost for McHattie in a race expected to include Bratina and former mayor Fred Eisenberger. Former councillor Don Ross has already declared, as well as Crystal Lavigne and Michael Baldasaro.

Under the slogan “Together we can do more,” McHattie pledged to listen to residents to help build his platform. He promised stronger neighbourhoods, smarter growth, transparent government, a healthier environment and more jobs.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 2:01 AM

^Can't wait for things to heat up. While there's more pomp and circumstance in a provincial or federal election, nothing beats municipal politics IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy