HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 12:52 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
But did you see that he had an illegal Mexican working for him for $300/week, and held his passport? That's f'ed up.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Add the Tannery Court building now under construction as well. I travel that route on a daily basis and the growth over the past 5 years has been amazing. West Hills is nearly full and Brookside West is on Phase IV. Even the Brookside Mall has undergone some positive changes (Lawtons, Nubodys, NB Liqour plus 350 new provincial jobs) and is now receiving its share of traffic.
yeah, definately good to see growth at the mall. I thought when Walmart opened on two nations that would be the end of the mall. But it is good to see they have found a way to fill up the mall (ie gov offices).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 8:10 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Good to hear the mall (and the area in general) is picking up. I was afraid the mall had become an empty shell (it was pretty close when I left the city).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 2:15 PM

so more traffic to the mall = more attractive for new tennants....sounds like another shopping hub forming in the city???

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 5:24 PM

It's official if it wasn't mentioned before. Deluxe in the Regent Mall is closing today, and McDonalds in the Food Court is closing on Tuesday I believe.

I still think that KFC will move into the McD's slot, and share it with Taco Bell... unless they have different local owners. Otherwise, the McD's slot is a big slot to fill.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
It's official if it wasn't mentioned before. Deluxe in the Regent Mall is closing today, and McDonalds in the Food Court is closing on Tuesday I believe.

I still think that KFC will move into the McD's slot, and share it with Taco Bell... unless they have different local owners. Otherwise, the McD's slot is a big slot to fill.
Wonder what will be going in the Delux slot?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 5:51 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Maybe A&W? The way I heard it was Taco Bell in the Deluxe spot and A&W in the McDonald's spot, but maybe that part of the food court will shuffle around a bit so KFC and Taco Bell have shared space.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 6:51 PM

It makes sense for KFC/TB to be in the same slot, since it's the same over all company. But if they are different owners here in Freddy, then they could go in different slots.

But the McD's slot just looks too big for A&W alone, or for any single restaurant short of McD's IMO.

Personally, I'd love to see a Pizza Hut express open up in there sometime too.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Maybe A&W? The way I heard it was Taco Bell in the Deluxe spot and A&W in the McDonald's spot, but maybe that part of the food court will shuffle around a bit so KFC and Taco Bell have shared space.
I forgot about that, it would be good for it to open up there.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 7:12 PM

I also remebered seeing an add recently in the paper for another Second cup franchise, could see them opening in the mall again, especially since one of the Starbucks in there closed up. Doubt they would be in the food court though.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 6:52 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

^Second Cup's website had listed a Regent Mall location opening up a few years back (around the same time the major changes started happening in the mall with Sirens, Dynamite, Rocky Mountain Chocolate, and that craft store had replaced Athlete's World before Aerie moved in), and we were all wondering where it would go. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come in (possible even into the food court) with the Starbucks kiosk closed.

Edit- just checked the website and the do have a new franchise planned for the Fredericton area.
http://secondcup.com/eng/franchising...=250&msid=1#m1

Quote:

ATLANTIC
Moncton - Trinity area, Fredericton, St. John NB
Halifax, NS
St John's NFLD
Charlottetown PEI

Edit again- man I'm dopey today, just noticed cl812's post already mentioned an ad for a new franchise. Sorry, lack of sleep catching up.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
I also remebered seeing an add recently in the paper for another Second cup franchise, could see them opening in the mall again, especially since one of the Starbucks in there closed up. Doubt they would be in the food court though.
I would bet that it will be located in the downtown area.....near convention centre or a stand-alone at the Corbett Centre next to Costco....similar to that at East Pointe Shopping in Saint John

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 11:49 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

It's fascinating how Second Cup is doing that much better in this market than Starbucks, even though IMO they have pretty similar service offerings.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 4:06 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Isn't the first Second Cup at King's Place? That's not too far from the new office building and convention centre at all, easily walking distance. I'd expect the new one to be in Regent Mall moreso than downtown. Corbett Centre could be a good spot as Freddypop mentioned, though.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Isn't the first Second Cup at King's Place? That's not too far from the new office building and convention centre at all, easily walking distance. I'd expect the new one to be in Regent Mall moreso than downtown. Corbett Centre could be a good spot as Freddypop mentioned, though.
Yeah it is in Kings Place. They used to have a location in the Regent Mall a few years back (where Telus is now) but closed. The Corbett Centre would be a good spot also. Personally I would rather see Starbucks open in there, since I find Starbucks coffee to be a bit better and it would be good to have one outside the mall.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 10:04 AM

No roundabout way to say it
Published Tuesday August 24th, 2010
Traffic | Project expected to be done in late September
A1
By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN

Get used to going in circles.

Fredericton's public works and engineering department is going to embark on construction of the city's first roundabout this summer.

The city will build the traffic circle at Brookside Drive near the intersection of Reynolds and West Hills Crossing. That's the first intersection just past the entrance to the Brookside Mall.

The city's 2010 traffic study has recommended construction of several traffic roundabouts over the next 20 years.

Other areas the city will look at include the Brunswick-King-Smythe-Woodstock Road intersection, the Union-Gibson intersection and Riverside Drive at Watters Street and the north end of the Princess Margaret Bridge.

"Roundabouts are the way of the future," said Coun. Bruce Grandy, chairman of the city's transportation committee. "They are much safer than traditional intersections and allow traffic to move more freely."

Grandy said drivers in the roundabout drive at slower speeds while negotiating the counter-clockwise turns, but because vehicles stay in motion, there are fewer delays.

That's also good for the environment since vehicle idling at traffic signals contributes to emission levels.

The Brookside Drive roundabout has flat grades and it has the right amount of land available for construction of the traffic circle. If a roundabout wasn't built, the city said, it would require traffic lights in the future.

"There was already road work being done in the vicinity of this intersection, so it made sense to include construction of our first roundabout at the same time," Grandy said.

City traffic engineer Darren Charters said roundabouts have been used in Europe, Australia and the Caribbean for many years and have been gaining popularity in North America since the 1990s.

Oromocto has two such intersections.

"Many Canadian cities are now installing roundabouts as a modern way to control traffic," Charters said.

In a traditional signalized intersection, there are about 56 vehicle to vehicle and pedestrian points of conflict. But in a modern roundabout, there are only about 16 points of conflict where accidents can potentially occur.

Drivers have to yield to traffic from the left in order to enter a roundabout, but once in the circle, they hold the right-of-way.

Statistics collected in the United States found that a traffic circle can decrease injury and fatal collisions by 76 per cent. In Great Britain, the decrease in injury and fatal collisions was closer to 86 per cent.

Work on rebuilding Brookside Drive between Summerhill Row and Reynolds Street started Monday.

Brookside Drive was closed Monday to all through traffic between Summerhill Row and Reynolds Street.

Motorists must detour via St. Mary's Street, Maple Street and Ring Road.

Estimated time for completing the project is five weeks. It should be wrapped up by the end of September.

Grandy said the city will also create a landscaping plan for the Brookside Drive area.

The city's also considering a public awareness campaign to educate people on how to safely use roundabouts.

Some of the world's largest cities have famous roundabouts, including Columbus Circle built in New York City in 1904, and the traffic circle that wraps around the Arc de Triomphe, which was built in Paris in 1907.

Also Monday, Clements Drive was reduced to one lane of traffic in the Diamond Street-Carlisle Road (Route 105) area.

The closure is also needed to upgrade the city's underground infrastructure.

Traffic will be controlled by temporary traffic signals. Construction signs will be in place to warn and guide motorists through the site.

Also, traffic control workers will be stationed at key locations to help direct motorists.

The traffic disruption is expected to last for two weeks.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 10:58 PM

Announced today that Research in Motion will add 30 more jobs in Freddy plus a 5th Knowledge Park building. This will bring the number of employees to 150.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/ne...0.08.1522.html

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Announced today that Research in Motion will add 30 more jobs in Freddy plus a 5th Knowledge Park building. This will bring the number of employees to 150.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/ne...0.08.1522.html
Thats great news. Looks like Knowledge Park is really taking off, finally.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 1:01 AM

Building #4 is slated to be 45,000 SF. RIM has committed to 30,000 SF in building #5 which will be 45,000 SF as well. Will allow other companies to locate or RIM to expand further in the future. Gotta figure that all this activity will raise the eyebrows of other companies that wish to cluster and may want in on the the current action. After a rather lengthy lull it would appear that things are picking up at Knowledge Park.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 1:26 AM

I know that Radian6 is running out of room. They're currently in building three.

Any idea what the square footage of the current buildings is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces