HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 6:34 PM
BANNED

I agree on the surface parking; the only real surface parking is temporary on sites that are awaiting development, and maintenance and delivery trucks. What I really meant was get rid of the underused vacant lots and get more intensive use of open areas.

Probably not much hope south of Olympic at least for a while, but between Olympic and SM a fairly busy streetscape should be possible. The added towers and subway pedestrian traffic should be boosts.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Do you know how much a trillion dollars is?
400 LA Lives.

Which is indeed A LOT, but doable. Not all at once, of course. I'm talking about a decade or two following gargantuan investments in rail infrastructure in EVERY major US city.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:33 AM
Paramoderator

This is an infill project going up on Ocean Blvd. I want to bring it up because this is a perfect example of how to do proper infill. This isn't some crappy McMansion trash, this is actually nice, high quality, modern architecture that is dense and urban. One of my favorite parts of this building is that there is little to no visible exterior stucco. None! As you may know, I hate stucco with a passion. To see something, anything, go up with no stucco is a real treat. Second, it is dense. Not only is it dense in height, but it uses up the entire lot as well, going right up on the lot line in every direction. And I do mean every direction, as this building goes through the entire block, and has entrances next to Santa Monica Place as well. Third, this is a green building, and will prob. be LEED certified. Always a good thing. Fourth, it is urban. Many hotels (which this is) tend to distance themselves from the urban fabric with driveways and glassy, imposing exteriors. This one has no driveway as far as I can tell, and ground floor retail all around. I can't really think of anything negative to say about this building. It is truly a step in the right direction, and a perfect model of how L.A. should build and be. Now, some more pictures.

This last picture was taken on the Santa Monica Place side.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 5:26 PM

The demolition and subsequent reconstruction of Santa Monica Place was a brilliant move by the city of Santa Monica. The mall is now designed in a way that it complements the area arounds it and encourages development (like this hotel). I believe the Sears building which lies to the south of the mall is going to be the terminus for the Expo line, there's talk of capping the 10 freeway, and then the landscape architect who worked on NYC's highline is developing a new park south of the cap. Santa Monica is doing something right.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
The demolition and subsequent reconstruction of Santa Monica Place was a brilliant move by the city of Santa Monica. The mall is now designed in a way that it complements the area arounds it and encourages development (like this hotel). I believe the Sears building which lies to the south of the mall is going to be the terminus for the Expo line, there's talk of capping the 10 freeway, and then the landscape architect who worked on NYC's highline is developing a new park south of the cap. Santa Monica is doing something right.

I agree Santa Monica went from mediocre to one of the best mid-sized downtowns in California in about a decade. The new SM Place really helps establish that position for SM and the Expo Line will really help even more.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:10 AM
Good Grief

The Old Spaghetti Factory Tower proposal is back in the news.

http://http://www.latimes.com/busine...,5402778.story

Real estate deal points to Hollywood's comeback
By Roger Vincent, Los Angeles Times

August 10, 2011

CIM Group has purchased the former Old Spaghetti Factory building at Sunset Boulevard and Gordon Street. It plans to build the retail, office and residential project approved for previous owners.

The deal involves one of several long-delayed real estate projects that are getting back on track.

"Things ground to a halt in Hollywood over the last couple of years," said Leron Gubler, president of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. "This will be a chance to really get started again."

Among the other projects getting ready for their close-up: A large apartment complex called the Avenue — formerly the Madrone condominiums — is set to open later this year on La Brea Avenue near Hollywood Boulevard after a lengthy holdup.

Construction is set to being shortly on a $57-million, eight-story office building at Vine Street and Selma Avenue, a site long occupied by Molly's Hamburgers.

Work is also expected to begin soon on Blvd 6200, a 1,000-unit apartment and retail complex on Hollywood Boulevard between Argyle and El Centro avenues, close to the Pantages Theatre.

The white brick and stucco Old Spaghetti Factory building is best known from its last incarnation as a restaurant. But the structure has a past worthy of its place in the heart of Hollywood.

The building opened in 1924 as a dealership for Peerless brand automobiles. In the 1930s, it became home to the Max Reinhardt Workshop of Stage, Screen and Radio — an acting studio. Reinhardt was a famous theater and movie director remembered in part for his removal of the bowl structure from the Hollywood Bowl in order to stage a sprawling production of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" starring his discovery, Olivia de Havilland.

Radio station KMPC turned the building into broadcast studios in 1944, when the neighborhood was known as Radio Row. Johnny Grant, who would become the unofficial mayor of Hollywood, was a KMPC disc jockey.

The station moved across the street in the late 1960s, yet continued to use the building for storage. In 1976, it was turned into the Old Spaghetti Factory, which served diners for decades. (The Portland, Ore.-based chain still operates about 40 locations in 14 states.)

Portland, Ore.-based Gerding Edlen Development in 2006 announced plans to build a $150-million mixed-use condominium project at the site, but the project was delayed by lawsuits and the recession, Gubler said.

The Gerding Edlen design now being pursued by CIM Group calls for preservation of the 1924 building, incorporating it into a complex with a 22-story apartment or condominium tower with 305 units. There would also be 40,000 square feet of office and retail space.

"The average vintage of office product in Hollywood is somewhat dated, so a newer modern office component to this development would be very well received by potential users," real estate broker Marc Renard of Cushman & Wakefield said.

There were several bidders for the property, said Renard, who with Carl Muhlstein represented the seller. "There was global interest in the site because of the location and the magnitude of the potential development opportunity."

The site is near Sunset Gower Studios, Sunset Bronson Studios and across the street from the planned Emerson College film and television training center.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 8:31 AM
Paramoderator

Well, it's always nice to see new high rise infill in Los Angeles, especially infill that incorporates historic structures.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Great news to see things getting some action. As I recall Old Spaghetti Factory had some issues from local residents regarding shadows from the tower. I guess they were resolved.

I like the Old Spaghetti building but calling something "historic" in Hollywood because it had a radio station or movie connection would basically turn the whole place into a protected area.

Due to the lack of existing quality buildings along Selma, it has be potential for a complete make-over into an interesting urban street (classy low-rise arts and professional, plazas, outdoor dining, plaques re local history, nice sidewalks, etc.). But it can also go cheesy and touristy. I'll be curious to see how this develops.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 6:09 PM
International

i love what infill did to this block in hollywood:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 6:26 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I like the density, but the building on the left leaves a lot to be desired architecturally.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 6:49 PM
International

Yeah, it's a bit of a sleeper. That said, it's 100x better than the Burger King that was previously there. The more I travel around, the more I realize the potential in LA. It wasn't until I left home a few times, that I realized most of LA's avenues and boulevards are comprised of stupid stuff like Fast Food restaurants, Drive-thru's, car washes, car dealerships, one-story buildings, etc. Given the dire situation of our retail strips, I think we are going to have to get used to such unattractive infill projects

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Yeah, it's a bit of a sleeper. That said, it's 100x better than the Burger King that was previously there. The more I travel around, the more I realize the potential in LA. It wasn't until I left home a few times, that I realized most of LA's avenues and boulevards are comprised of stupid stuff like Fast Food restaurants, Drive-thru's, car washes, car dealerships, one-story buildings, etc. Given the dire situation of our retail strips, I think we are going to have to get used to such unattractive infill projects
When I travel abroad, what sticks out to me is the ridiculously huge parking garages we have attached to nearly every building in Los Angeles compared to other cities, where you'll find 1 big one, but then it's blocks of apartments, offices, and retail with little to no parking. That's good use of resources. Our ridiculously high parking requirements works against in creating good urban areas. Fix the parking and then we'll get better infill. Guaranteed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:39 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I hope those Hollywood projects take off but give me dates... I am not buying "soon" especially with all the litigation that gets tied to every project.

The Avenue is almost near completion but I am sure the retail component is going to sit empty for a long, long time. Regardless, I plan on checking out the units and if I can get a decent one bedroom for $1700.00 I may just move there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 9:25 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I've actually seen a good mix recently. For example, we have been seeing a lot of Mediterranean stucco poop-boxes go up recently. However, we are also seeing modern buildings which use high quality materials go up, like the hotel I posted in Santa Monica, and that building Caruso is putting up on La Cienaga. I don't think it is correct just to say, "all the buildings that will be built soon are going to be ugly" because that just isn't true.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 9:40 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I've actually seen a good mix recently. For example, we have been seeing a lot of Mediterranean stucco poop-boxes go up recently. However, we are also seeing modern buildings which use high quality materials go up, like the hotel I posted in Santa Monica, and that building Caruso is putting up on La Cienaga. I don't think it is correct just to say, "all the buildings that will be built soon are going to be ugly" because that just isn't true.
Of course it isn't true. And nowhere did I imply that we are only going to see ugly infill. Anybody familiar with my photos (i.e, most of the LA forumers) knows that I greatly appreciate, and have gone great lengths to photograph smart-looking, contemporary residences and multifamily apartments in LA. I will say, though, in areas lacking cache or the ability command high rents (Silverlake, Venice, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, etc are examples of places that do have the aforementioned cache/high rents, hence the nice infill), the quality of construction goes downhill very fast, as developers often work on small budgets, of which results in poorer quality construction and materials. Anyways, the best-looking new construction in LA isn't residential at all, lol; LAUSD and LAPD (among other civic agencies) are killing it right now in terms of modern design!

Last edited by Kingofthehill; Aug 11, 2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: further clarification

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 10:12 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Of course it isn't true. And nowhere did I imply that we are only going to see ugly infill. Anybody familiar with my photos (i.e, most of the LA forumers) knows that I greatly appreciate, and have gone great lengths to photograph smart-looking, contemporary residences and multifamily apartments in LA. I will say, though, in areas lacking cache or that command high rents (Silverlake, Venice, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, etc), the quality of construction goes downhill very fast, as developers often work on small budgets, of which results in poorer quality construction. Anyways, the best-looking new construction in LA isn't residential at all, lol; LAUSD and LAPD (among other civic agencies) are killing it right now in terms of modern design!
I don't know about LAUSD, but I agree that, in general, civic design right now is amazing. And I agree about what you said concerning design in residential, now that you've clarified yourself. For the most part, new stuff going up in the less desirable neighborhoods is ugly as poop. Though, of course, there are exceptions to that rule. Some of the non HG Palmer stuff going up in City West is generally nice.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 3:02 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Of course it isn't true. And nowhere did I imply that we are only going to see ugly infill. Anybody familiar with my photos (i.e, most of the LA forumers) knows that I greatly appreciate, and have gone great lengths to photograph smart-looking, contemporary residences and multifamily apartments in LA. I will say, though, in areas lacking cache or the ability command high rents (Silverlake, Venice, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, etc are examples of places that do have the aforementioned cache/high rents, hence the nice infill), the quality of construction goes downhill very fast, as developers often work on small budgets, of which results in poorer quality construction and materials. Anyways, the best-looking new construction in LA isn't residential at all, lol; LAUSD and LAPD (among other civic agencies) are killing it right now in terms of modern design!
Yes, you represent LA better than any of the LA forumers. If people want to see LA and see new projects your threads are where to go.

What strikes me as a little odd is all the nice infill that has gone up in the San Fernando Valley. Sure there is bad there too but a lot of the infill south of the 101 and in the Toluca Lake area is exceptional. A lot nicer the the stuff that has been going up in most the LA Basin.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 8:09 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
i love what infill did to this block in hollywood:

After discussing the architectural traits of these buildings, I feel like I need to go see them in person. Out of all the areas in Los Angeles, Hollywood is where I have explored least (well, all the major urban areas at least). After seeing so many photos of the new development, I feel like I should change that. So, I figure, these pictures buildings are as good a place to start as any. Where are these buildings located?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 4:41 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

A block from Hollywood and Highland, if I'm not mistaken. The building on the left is The Jefferson, which is right across Highland from Hollywood & Highland, just north of Hollywood. That picture is on the backside of the building, so the next block. So from downtown you could take the Red Line and be right there.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 6:26 PM

I happened to be in Santa Monica this past weekend so I snapped a couple of pics of that new Ocean Blvd project. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with that courtyard.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations