HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:43 PM

i see no issues, i'd much prefer this than the public "park" at Air Canada plaza or Thunderbird house. call me elitist if you want, but I believe this is the majority of people feelings

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:24 PM

I stopped by the new grocery store last weekend. Its really nice, and obviously the prices match that lol. But they actually have fresh produce and essentially everything you need from a grocery store. It reminds me a lot of De Lucas. I was pretty worried that they were essentially going to scrap the grocery aspect and just go with a prepared food, grab-and-go format. So I'm happy to see that the grocery aspect survived.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Update today.

Looks like a LOT of rebar for supports getting in place.
Also, framing around the elevators is going up and a bunch of work around the perimeter.

Good to see them finally using the Tower Cranes.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Be thankful they are planters. Many public spaces here in Toronto are surrounded by haphazardly placed Jersey barriers [To prevent terror attacks].
It’s the times we are living in, anywhere nice in Winnipeg has become a loitering place for the homeless and meth heads, would anyone want their investment destroyed and people scared away by meth heads, don’t blame TN, good on them for making it a welcoming and safe place for everyone who isn’t a meth head or homeless bum!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:49 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i see no issues, i'd much prefer this than the public "park" at Air Canada plaza or Thunderbird house. call me elitist if you want, but I believe this is the majority of people feelings
Yeah.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It’s the times we are living in, anywhere nice in Winnipeg has become a loitering place for the homeless and meth heads, would anyone want their investment destroyed and people scared away by meth heads, don’t blame TN, good on them for making it a welcoming and safe place for everyone who isn’t a meth head or homeless bum!
I Agree. I was there shooting pictures the other night and the security never bothered me, i am, however meth free.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 12:49 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Be thankful they are planters. Many public spaces here in Toronto are surrounded by haphazardly placed Jersey barriers [To prevent terror attacks].
There are big concrete blocks randomly placed in the middle of downtown sidewalks, and every large office building in Toronto has rows of “planters” or bollards around it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
There are big concrete blocks randomly placed in the middle of downtown sidewalks, and every large office building in Toronto has rows of “planters” or bollards around it.
Was this in response to that incel kook's van attack a while ago, or were the barriers there before that?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I stopped by the new grocery store last weekend. Its really nice, and obviously the prices match that lol. But they actually have fresh produce and essentially everything you need from a grocery store. It reminds me a lot of De Lucas. I was pretty worried that they were essentially going to scrap the grocery aspect and just go with a prepared food, grab-and-go format. So I'm happy to see that the grocery aspect survived.
I found the produce to be not far off from any other grocer which is nice. Kind of like Food Fare but with higher-end packaged goods.

Quote:
I just got back from Vancouver, we are a utopia compared to there when it come to homeless and drugs. It's in all areas now, far beyond Gastown and Downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Was this in response to that incel kook's van attack a while ago, or were the barriers there before that?
yup

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:24 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
incel kook (the ones plopped down in the middle of the sidewalk)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

I just got back from Vancouver, we are a utopia compared to there when it come to homeless and drugs. It's in all areas now, far beyond Gastown and Downtown.
For anyone who may be tempted to dismiss/disbelieve this comment, here's a link to one of a number of videos posted on YouTube that cover this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WTNjTSsmQ

Vancouver is a lovely city but if the homeless/addiction problem seen there would suddenly appear on the streets of Winnipeg, people's heads would explode.

I'm not saying we don't have to be concerned about it or work diligently to deal with the crises of drugs and homelessness, but Winnipeg is nowhere near as bad as some would apparently like to believe (and promote).

In a way Winnipeg is relatively fortunate that the city may still get somewhat of a handle the issue if some of the initiatives that have been proposed 9e.g. True North's plan to build an addition centre) see the light of day.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
For anyone who may be tempted to dismiss/disbelieve this comment, here's a link to one of a number of videos posted on YouTube that cover this subject:

Vancouver is a lovely city but if the homeless/addiction problem seen there would suddenly appear on the streets of Winnipeg, people's heads would explode.

I'm not saying we don't have to be concerned about it or work diligently to deal with the crises of drugs and homelessness, but Winnipeg is nowhere near as bad as some would apparently like to believe (and promote).

In a way Winnipeg is relatively fortunate that the city may still get somewhat of a handle the issue if some of the initiatives that have been proposed 9e.g. True North's plan to build an addition centre) see the light of day.
Left wing clueless speNDP govt. in BC, left leaning mayor and city council in Vancouver all with an anything goes mantra, so why would anyone expect the result to be anything but meth head and homeless bums to do whatever wherever!

Last edited by rrskylar; Sep 24, 2020 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Left wing clueless speNDP govt. in BC, left leaning mayor and city council in Vancouver all with an anything goes mantra, so what would anyone expect the results would be!
LMAO yeah, because the level of homelessness in each Canadian city is strictly dictated by whether the prevailing government is red, orange, or blue.

You do know that homelessness is a very complicated, long term matter that extends well beyond the scope of whatever government is currently the flavor of the day, right?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
LMAO yeah, because the level of homelessness in each Canadian city is strictly dictated by whether the prevailing government is red, orange, or blue.

You do know that homelessness is a very complicated, long term matter that extends well beyond the scope of whatever government is currently the flavor of the day, right?
But I thought the left had all the answers when it comes to dealing with drug addiction, the homeless, the poor and downtrodden!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
But I thought the left had all the answers when it comes to dealing with drug addiction, the homeless, the poor and downtrodden!
I'm pretty sure that was the right.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:01 PM

It's always those left wing radical nut bags. Wanting, checks notes, equality for all.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

Well at least the storefronts look much nicer compared to what they looked like before the 2010 Olympics. I know, the city was just dressing up a pig. A pig dressed up in west coast style lol.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 8:59 PM

Counted ~18 support columns waiting to be framed in for a pour.

Still moving sand around the parkade with a Bobcat (?) - thought that would have been finished off...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Actually, in a lot of ways; yes. A country, a province, and a city's political parties and policies all contribute to levels of homelessness. For example if a specific city is offering and investing in aggressive harm reduction programs that other cities don't offer, then homeless populations from across the country will flock to that city... especially if that city has a mild survivable climate in winter...

Quote:
I know that I am off-topic... but we're not splitting the atom when it comes to reintegrating homeless populations in society. And their struggles and effects on communities can't be too taboo to talk about. Hiding it behind a veil of "it's complicated" is actually another way of sweeping the issues under the rug.

IMO, I would like to see federal strategies in place to provide effective strategies to cities/provinces to equally tackle the reintegration of these homeless populations as one united force. Because right now, homeless populations are making their way to cities that have harm reduction strategies in place and so now we have certain cities that are handling a disproportionate amount of Canadian homeless populations from out of province. The Saskatchewan example comes to mind here where an actual homeless shelter sent their homeless to BC. And then there's a stat (2019) that says that 44% of the homeless population in Vancouver was from another province.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Sep 25, 2020 at 9:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan