HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 2:34 PM

Isn't this going to be taller than First Place anyways?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 4:36 PM

Yes this is taller than first place by 2 meters

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:32 PM

There were two lanes blocked on Main Street right by the site this morning with a brigade of cement trucks, ready, it appears to start pouring.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 10:53 PM

lots of wet cement around 6 PM tonight, no crane adds

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

Paul Wilson: New life at last for $20-million lost land in downtown Hamilton
Nearly two acres, bounded by Main, Hess, Caroline and George, was nothing but a parking lot for decades. It’s been sold for just over $20 million.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...town-hamilton/

In the late '80s, before condos came to town, a developer decided he'd be the first. He demolished some walk-up apartments, erected a pink, purple and green sales pavilion and started selling The Riviera — "Hamilton's Premiere Address."

The plan went bust. And ever since, that key piece of real estate — nearly two acres, bounded by Main, Hess, Caroline and George — has been nothing but parked cars.

Well, the tide has turned for condos and much else in downtown Hamilton. That long-lost piece of land has now sold for just over $20 million. In 1995, it was worth $450,000.

The purchaser is Bentall Kennedy, a $50-billion-or-so real estate investment company owned by Sun Life Financial. They're not ready to say much yet, but a query did bring an emailed statement from Brad Caco, BK's senior vice-president of development:

"There is an excitement in the downtown Hamilton core that gives us a great deal of optimism," he says.

Factors in the purchase decision include "the emergence of the local technology and life sciences industries and the development of the LRT infrastructure."

The development, he says, "will be considerate of the present and future needs of the community."

No specifics provided beyond that, but several sources say the goal is two or three residential towers on the site, a project that could be more than $300 million.

Toronto's Otis Group has owned that property for decades. Brian Otis says they've tried to make things happen on the site, including the McMaster downtown health centre that ended up a block east on Main.

Otis is a commercial developer, with projects across the province. So when it looked as though residential was the way things were heading for that downtown land, Otis says, it was time to take the offer. "But I have to tell you, I'm a little disappointed I wasn't the guy at the finish line."

Downtown Hamilton has changed, he says. "It's really coming along now … But it's still a pretty closed market, not the easiest for outsiders."

One exception, he says, is developer Darko Vranich, who has erected several towers right next door in recent years. Vranich had wanted to buy the Otis land in the past, but the timing wasn't right.

"Darko has a lot of energy," Otis says. "I should ask him for a blood transfusion."

Half-a-dozen blocks due east on Main, there's a new development where the property didn't sit empty for a minute.

It's another Vranich project — a 25-storey residential tower at Main and Walnut. He bought the property in the fall of 2017. The lawyers there moved out about six months later, demolition was underway by July, and foundation work began in a flash.

Soon a tower crane will arrive on site from a yard in Binbrook. Turns out Vranich recently bought two of these cranes, $750,000 US each, in New York state.

The other crane, now stretched out on Vranich land at King and Queen, will rise soon for a 30-storey student residence and a 10- to 12-storey Hampton Inn at that corner.

Over at Main and Walnut, new development is welcome. That piece of street needs it.

But please, a quick salute to the building at that corner which fell so fast. Its moment of glory came early in 1964, when mayor Vic Copps officially opened the national headquarters of the Society of Industrial and Cost Accountants of Canada.

The building had been the district offices of Imperial Oil — along with a service station — and later became the Parker's dry cleaning plant.

But the accountants spent substantial money to change all that. As Spec writer Milford L. Smith reported 55 years ago:

"The asphalt pavement, oil-stained by tens of thousands of automobiles in the gas station days, has been torn up. In its place is a raised area in which grass and trees and flowers will be planted, restoring in part the Main Street East scene when palatial residences were set back from the roadway."

Old mansions on that stretch of Main? Hard to imagine. Everything changes, but it's good to know what came before.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:00 PM

King and Queen is now 30 stories?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:10 PM

Now if only the prison-looking hotel across the street were bought...and Modern India too.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:16 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
King and Queen is now 30 stories?
I think Paul Wilson would have done his research. Maybe update the thread to u/c 30 fl

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:52 PM

Hopefully the City has learned from the 150/140 Main West farce and mandates that parking/loading entrances on the King/Caroline/Hess build face George.

On Main East/Walnut, I suspect that 150 (P&L) is next up… or maybe the hotel proposal that became Dollarama will be revived as well.

Last edited by thistleclub; Apr 9, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 9:12 PM

Spec article says that the crane here is coming from Binbrook, one of two Vranich bought from source in USA. The one at King and Queen will be used on that site.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Now if only the prison-looking hotel across the street were bought...and Modern India too.
my parents lived in the bentley beside that hotel.. and yeah man.. that thing is pretty bleak looking. The funny thing is driving by it you almost don't even notice it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 9:57 PM
Burger Connoisseur

As of 5:30pm today, huge crane on site looks like things will start moving along here super fast! Photos are mine...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:32 AM

Wow, they aren't messing around with the start of this project. I think it will be great to add some vertical mass/density to the east side of the downtown...Landmark place "cough, Century 21, cough" was starting to look kinda lonely, with all the action taking place on the west side in the last 2-3 years...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:30 AM

The parts of the crane that are up are already super tall ! It's great to see how big this will be!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
The parts of the crane that are up are already super tall ! It's great to see how big this will be!
any pictures?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:29 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
any pictures?
They were so big I was able to see them from the highway..

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
any pictures?
Unfortunately I still don't know how to post pics on here

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:15 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Unfortunately I still don't know how to post pics on here
Upload them to https://imgur.com/upload, and then right click after its processing, copy link, and paste the link in after clicking the icon that looking like the mountain ranges with the sun above the text box you type your responses in.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:41 PM

I live close by.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:48 PM

Awesome thanks for the pics. My 4 year old daughter is going to be excited.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton