HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:54 PM

Ooof! It's hard to find anything positive about this design.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:32 PM

Additional renderings for 736 Peachtree...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Ooof! It's hard to find anything positive about this design.
I like the design. Chicago and NYC are filled with these types of towers

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:57 PM

Minus the massive parking podium.

Who owns the two boarded up buildings between the Toll Bros project and the post office on West Peachtree?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Who owns the two boarded up buildings between the Toll Bros project and the post office on West Peachtree?
I think it's still the Georgia Tech Foundation.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Minus the massive parking podium.

The obsession about parking podiums has got to stop folks. Just accept that most project will have them in order to get financing. Most sites sit above areas where digging is either not doable or very expensive. Just be glad that most developments recently are doing a better job of incorporating into the design vs the Novare days.

Agree, this reminds me of what I would see in Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
You're absolutely right, this looks like an assisted living facility in the Bronx. After seeing their Rainey Street proposal in Austin, this just isn't acceptable.

80 rainey?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
80 rainey?
Si, I love it!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:44 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Very happy something is going here, but this design is so generic and basic. Looks super cheap. Sigh...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:46 PM

DRC Recap

DRC Recommendations:
  • Extend or flip the location of the café to allow it to occupy the building corner at Peachtree and 4th Streets. This will help utilize the outdoor raised patio along 4th Street. This entire corner area should be holistically designed including lighting, tenant branding and accessibility via vanishing steps.
  • Modify the 4th Street pedestrian level elevations. Extend the glass storefront system westward toward the driveway. Break down the scale of retaining walls with intermediate green planting boxes. Provide more visual interest at the fire command, electrical room and transformer room including a ‘mini-gallery’ art display as coordinated with Midtown Alliance.
  • Extend the outdoor pet spa area along Cypress Street to the 4th Street corner. This will allow direct at-grade access and enliven the intersection. This will also eliminate the need for a stair at the south near the loading driveway.
  • Recommended significant additional secured bike parking based on 480-unit program.
  • Update streetscape details regarding street tree species, streetlight types and pavers consistent with the Midtown Streetscape Plan.
  • Re-examine the proposed screening of parking podium by taking cues from the curvilinear form of the main tower with an emphasis on the Peachtree Street frontage and screening light spillage.
  • Confirm EIFS will not be a material on the building per code due to pollution created during the installation process and long-term maintenance concerns.
  • Utilize water source heat pumps in place of typical HVAC units.
  • Coordinate with Midtown Alliance to potentially save and relocate the existing mature trees onsite.

Next Steps:
The committee was supportive of the project and requested more detailed information on the above recommendations to be submitted by the applicant at earliest convenience for electronic review.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Additional renderings for 736 Peachtree...
If the residential part is the NES cartridge, the NES itself is the parking garage. Symbollically, kinda says a lot about how central the car is to modern American life. It is our console, our window on reality itself.

Laugh all you want, but walk down a six lane highway sometime and tell me that the car mindset doesn't literally warp our perception of physical space and cause us to use more of it than we really need.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
The obsession about parking podiums has got to stop folks. Just accept that most project will have them in order to get financing. Most sites sit above areas where digging is either not doable or very expensive. Just be glad that most developments recently are doing a better job of incorporating into the design vs the Novare days.

Agree, this reminds me of what I would see in Chicago.
For me, the podium is fine… IF is has line uses like the new tower at 130 Luckie. At this site, there’s no reason not have have a few floors of units on Peachtree that are accessed direct from the deck.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 1:46 AM

736 Peachtree

The design ain't exciting but I love the skinniness of building...it definitely has an NYC feel to it. And to have another lot bite the dust. Decent height too...there's definitely an upward trend in average tower height with the recent proposals. More 32-40 story towers than 20-29 story towers like 6-10 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
The design ain't exciting but I love the skinniness of building...it definitely has an NYC feel to it. And to have another lot bite the dust. Decent height too...there's definitely an upward trend in average tower height with the recent proposals. More 32-40 story towers than 20-29 story towers like 6-10 years ago.
I love the skinniness and that it's the east / west orientation on Peachtree!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:42 PM

Really like the skinny design, it's not the best looking tower I've seen for sure but better than a parking lot for sure, onward density!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:50 PM

Such a shame to see this lot go from the Midtown Medical proposal to this...

Additional details and site plans can be found on the MNA land use committee agenda
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lDP...IHE0U5wYr/view

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdan View Post
Such a shame to see this lot go from the Midtown Medical proposal to this...

Additional details and site plans can be found on the MNA land use committee agenda
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lDP...IHE0U5wYr/view

Terrible. Just Terrible!!! Looks like something in the suburbs. This could have been a nice 4-5 residential bricked building with Offices and the grocery below

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchitectburd23 View Post
Terrible. Just Terrible!!! Looks like something in the suburbs. This could have been a nice 4-5 residential bricked building with Offices and the grocery below
Im laughing. This is exactly what the NIMBYs wanted apparently. They turned down good proposals. Now they have shit, and it is probably more traffic than previous office structures. Just ask anyone who lives near the glenwood park Kroger

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Im laughing. This is exactly what the NIMBYs wanted apparently. They turned down good proposals. Now they have shit, and it is probably more traffic than previous office structures. Just ask anyone who lives near the glenwood park Kroger
Yuuuuuuuuppppp

I live in the area and that Kroger is the combination of hell and diarrhea - and screw whoever let chikfila build there it's a disaster.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 12:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Yuuuuuuuuppppp

I live in the area and that Kroger is the combination of hell and diarrhea - and screw whoever let chikfila build there it's a disaster.
That Kroger is one of the reasons I retired and moved from Atl to the NC mountains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta