HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:12 PM

Here in Kanata we have our own little skyline, part of "silicon valley North". Some decent buildings but overall very suburban. Best views are from the golf course.

https://www.bestottawaproperties.com...nata-North.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...earch_Park.JPG

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:21 PM
ARTchitecture

I've always liked that Kanata skyline. I think it would be awesome if there is high rise residential development between the office towers someday, as I believe currently it's just parking lots separating the towers. The challenges for rezoning and redesigning a strictly commercial area to mixed use would be suuuuper interesting! Has it ever been done to a major office park before?

Calgary's only analog to Kanata is Quarry Park, where Imperial Oil and a few other companies are headquartered. However, I think Quarry was always meant to eventually be mixed use (3 high rise residential UC now). My main point of this inquiry I guess is how the fuck do we get rid of these humongous parking lots in places like Kanata and Quarry Park? It seems like a golden opportunity but never happens.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I've always liked that Kanata skyline. I think it would be awesome if there is high rise residential development between the office towers someday, as I believe currently it's just parking lots separating the towers. The challenges for rezoning and redesigning a strictly commercial area to mixed use would be suuuuper interesting! Has it ever been done to a major office park before?

Calgary's only analog to Kanata is Quarry Park, where Imperial Oil and a few other companies are headquartered. However, I think Quarry was always meant to eventually be mixed use (3 high rise residential UC now). My main point of this inquiry I guess is how the fuck do we get rid of these humongous parking lots in places like Kanata and Quarry Park? It seems like a golden opportunity but never happens.
Kanata North looks interesting from certain angles, but yes, all surface parking around those office buildings. No plans to make it mixed-use at this time.

Most residential density in Kanata is being built along the 417. Here's a 2017 image. I think it has developed further since.

https://www.obj.ca/article/groupe-le...ing-total-250m

The Kanata extension of the O-Train will run at the bottom of the photograph, just out of frame, but that won't be for another 10+ years.

There are plans for a BRT to Kanata North, but I think that plan (and it seems all BRT plans at this time) has been shelved, which is too bad because Kanata needs its own bus network more than any other area as opposed to the suburb-downtown service currently provided.

Gatineau's Le Plateau neighbourhood's big box area has been rezoned for mixed use. Not quite the same as it's retail and not office, but Gatineau in general has been more proactive in pushing the City towards a more sustainable direction.

Quarry Park seems a bit better than Kanata North, with a little less parking and residential closer to it. Some of the buildings also seem to have a relationship to the street as opposed to having parking in between. I believe it will be served by the Green Line, right?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:33 AM
ARTchitecture

Good info, thank you. I had no idea that Gatineau was getting in on the district redevelopment game. That is dope.

You are correct, Quarry Park will be the 2nd last station on phase 1 of the Green Line. I can definitely see what you're saying now with the differences between NK and QP. QP was zoned with office, residential, commercial, and community institutions (massive library and YMCA, new island park on Bow River). I guess they are just products of when they were planned. Definitely maaaajor room for improvement.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 9:09 PM

Brentwood town center

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 1:22 AM

The star of the photo is the vehicle made by Big-bucksMotorWorks. Had 4 in a row of my favourite German export

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:38 AM

Some more of Klazu's spectacular shots from his penthouse in Metrotown, Burnaby.

The panorama (third pic) shows the City of North Vancouver skyline on the extreme left (below The Lions) and the Gilmore/Brentwood skyline.

Last pic is a closeup of Brentwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Morning fog has again been rolling in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:47 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Is this totalitarian block being taken down or is that what they're in the process of building?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 5:05 AM
I am the law!

It's clearly being built. What exactly screams North Korea to you? Dumbest post of the month?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 11:53 PM

Metrotown as seen from Brentwood

IMG_20201006_155223 by snub_you, on Flickr

IMG_20201006_155229 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:21 PM

I know that I put it up on the regular Skyline thread but I'm just sharing again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
This is Burnaby btw.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:17 PM

Suburban Vaughn, and I'm pissed that the u/c tower in the photo is not being built downtown in the "bricky" east of the core mid-rise construction mayhem there. Would have been a perfect exclamation ! point.

Ed Skira

^^^^ this... is this (below). grrrrr...

UT

UT

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 8:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There is a small suburban skyline developing near the Burnside area of metro Halifax. Kind of unusual since it's an industrial park but this parcel has waterfront access with a marina. Magazine Hill in the background:

Source

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 8:52 PM

The Growing Lougheed Skyline in Burnaby

2020-11-05_04-55-58 by snub_you, on Flickr

City Of Lougheed
2020-10-24_05-03-18 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Is this totalitarian block being taken down or is that what they're in the process of building?
I actually go running through this area quite a bit. From the highway it (and possibly from this aerial) it looks like an awful place to be but it actually has been built with quite a nice street-level interaction. Lots of nice greenspace nearby and very pleasant place to be.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Bedford Basin skyline:

Source

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
^^^^ this... is this (below). grrrrr...

UT
Love this tower, can't believe it's in Vaughan. I noticed the other day that the cover of the Vaughan urban design guidelines https://www.vaughan.ca/services/busi...ive%5D-web.pdf features a midrise that is just a cropped portion of Woodwards in Vancouver lol

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Bedford Basin skyline:

Source
Reminds me of a hillier Richmond, BC but in a good way. The only time I really hate table top skylines is when they are located in the city centre (lol, Vancouver). In the suburbs, I actually don't mind them too much when they make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I noticed the other day that the cover of the Vaughan urban design guidelines https://www.vaughan.ca/services/busi...ive%5D-web.pdf features a midrise that is just a cropped portion of Woodwards in Vancouver lol
Someone got lazy lol... hopefully they don't get sued and fired over it.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I noticed the other day that the cover of the Vaughan urban design guidelines https://www.vaughan.ca/services/busi...ive%5D-web.pdf features a midrise that is just a cropped portion of Woodwards in Vancouver lol

Someone got lazy lol... hopefully they don't get sued and fired over it.
It's pretty common to steal existing buildings as placeholders (see Concord Quantum project in Vancouver below, using Zaha Hadid's condo on the Highline), but it's funny seeing them crop so much of the building for their purposes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 1:22 AM
I am the law!

More importantly, who thought Radio City (?) On a cropped Woodwards " podium" looks good?!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada