HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
i think this tower is looking great, i like the color on it and it has a nice shape to it. Buildings don't need to be all glass to look great, that is just a modern version of having something that is "nice". But IMO I don't like all these glass boxes and rectangles. I'd rather have a mix of both and have a nice shape to the building.
Completely agree with every statement made. I really hate all glass, box looking buildings as well. I like buildings that have 'shape' and buildings with a mix of materials, not just all one material like glass, stone etc. But a mix of glass, stone and other materials... Just as long as it's not overdone, and doesn't have too many different materials.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Completely agree with every statement made. I really hate all glass, box looking buildings as well. I like buildings that have 'shape' and buildings with a mix of materials, not just all one material like glass, stone etc. But a mix of glass, stone and other materials... Just as long as it's not overdone, and doesn't have too many different materials.
There seems to be an evolution in building form occuring in HRM though. While we still have the drab suburban style (which I suspect will be around for at least 15 more years); designers seem to be kicking things up a notch since HbD came into play. Also, with the fact there is a design committee now - I wonder how much influence that's having towards the projects?

Here in Calgary, the Calgary Planning Commission reviews all multi-res projects over 100 units or in downtown. So if this were Calgary, CPC would've given the project a good looking over and been careful to scrutinize it heavily. One thing I'd like to see happen with the design committee, as it evolves, is grow to take on a similar role for developments all over HRM. Especially if TOD is implemented.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:50 PM

The glass started going up today for the front part of the building.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 11:02 PM

Here's a pic from this afternoon.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 12:15 AM
we built this city

Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 12:50 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I am not a huge fan of precast but it seems to work far better with the seams if you use it to clad smaller areas of a building. The precast between the curved atrium area and the balconies on either side actually looks pretty good.

Having brick (or glass or stone) on lower levels is also much more attractive than precast.

This is certainly looking like it will be one of the nicer residential towers in the city - not quite as nice as the Martello condominiums.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 11:05 AM

I'm liking the look of the building so far. I can't wait to see it finished. I really like the glass.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 12:09 AM

If a picture is worth a thousand words I guess someone owes me 5000 words;

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 12:32 AM
we built this city

Thanks for the update!!!! Its looking amazing!!!!

I will make up for my lack of posts with at huge phototour when I return!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 12:33 AM
we built this city

Also, it looks like my estimate back in the summer for an October top out date will be dead on!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I am not a huge fan of precast but it seems to work far better with the seams if you use it to clad smaller areas of a building. The precast between the curved atrium area and the balconies on either side actually looks pretty good.

Having brick (or glass or stone) on lower levels is also much more attractive than precast.

This is certainly looking like it will be one of the nicer residential towers in the city - not quite as nice as the Martello condominiums.
Couldn't agree more.

I find the precast is becoming the norm, even the color.

It will be one of the nicer buildings, but Martello has this beat on design and appearance. In the end i will take it, as its a new exciting development.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 5:32 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Also, it looks like my estimate back in the summer for an October top out date will be dead on!
Yup... I asked them last night at VivaCity and they verified that it will be topped out during October.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 11:25 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Yup... I asked them last night at VivaCity and they verified that it will be topped out during October.
yay

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 10:06 PM

Today:

(own photo)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Today:

(own photo)
Great photo. Looks great. Can I count correctly - 3 more floors to the top?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 1:17 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Today:

(own photo)
Cheers for the update.

In my option the materials and design are both more attractive than The Martello. But it will depend on what the finished product looks like.

Gives me hope for The Alexander to set the bar even higher with a good cladding and usage of real copper in their art deco designed tower and podium.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 3:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is a picture I took in 2007 of the site:

I liked the little house on the corner, but what a difference.

If the Alexander is built it will be a similarly huge improvement. Adding the Salter Street project in would be tremendous. Halifax is in a very interesting situation where it is small and underdeveloped but has very good and interesting "bones" (pedestrian scale with lots of good historic buildings and public spaces). It doesn't take a lot to overhaul the feel of different areas in very direct ways that you wouldn't notice as much in a big city.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here is a picture I took in 2007 of the site:
If the Alexander is built it will be a similarly huge improvement. Adding the Salter Street project in would be tremendous. Halifax is in a very interesting situation where it is small and underdeveloped but has very good and interesting "bones" (pedestrian scale with lots of good historic buildings and public spaces). It doesn't take a lot to overhaul the feel of different areas in very direct ways that you wouldn't notice as much in a big city.
The Alexander is the brewery isn't it?
The scale of Halifax right now is just perfect to take off and be an example of how to be a compact urban city; while still having the best of both worlds.
Meaning that there is enough land (and the right growth rate) that between the projects in Bedford and Russell Lake - should keep those wanting suburban homes with a good supply well to the end of the Regional Plan in 2027 and then Shannon Park should provide an overflow if need be.

But those who want to live on the Peninsula and experience downtown/peninsula living will also have a good variety of places to choose from and developers will have great opportunity sites.

While I think time played a negative to the Forum lands for a stadium, CFB Windsor Park and the Superstore present a great potential for re-development (considering the organic growth of the Hydrostone). There are plenty of spots around the Hydrostone that could easily be redeveloped upward, even if only 10 stories. If Olands outgrows it's spot - major redevelopment spot.

Same with the Agricola and Quinpool corridors - we've set them up to be perfect locations for redevelopment, especially if we get to a point where a rapid transit system is conceived or developed. The downtown core will slowly run out of spots (you can only have so many easy sites) over time - then it will come to demolition of existing buildings to build new. Dartmouth downtown also holds great potential, as does Highfield park (although that would be demo and rebuild).

Halifax is an urban planners dream (I think). It can turn into an eastern version of Vancouver - liveable and walkable, with a vibrant downtown if we keep on this path. But, unlike Vancouver, we may not have as many towers - which I wouldn't be disappointed with. We'd be achieving the same idea, at a more pedestrian scale. It would be a made in HRM solution I think.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 1:59 AM
we built this city

More diverse in history and design, thats for sure. I think a tower on the corner next to Superstore would be amazing if a stadium wasn't built there. Or both, with the stadium in behind... similar to SMU. That would be a sick residential development if you were a concert or sports fan during the summer months.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 5:32 PM

*double post*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth