HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 8:41 PM

^^^Hi IG page is still very active.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 10:10 PM

Doesn't Hunter still take photos for Urbanize LA?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:33 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:

Downtown LA Proper Hotel

hospitality.net/Downtown Proper LA Hotel

Known for putting a refined stamp on contemporary luxury all its own, Proper Hospitality has just opened the doors to its fourth namesake property. Launched this month in the heart of Los Angeles, the Downtown L.A. Proper Hotel has infused a historic landmark building with modern soul and an unparalleled guest experience. Meticulously reimagined by internationally renowned designer Kelly Wearstler, the 148-room destination features three distinct culinary spaces helmed by James Beard Award-winners Suzanne Goin and Caroline Styne, a rooftop pool deck that offers unobstructed views of downtown L.A., as well as a basketball court suite and pool suite for luxurious stays and private occasions.

Located in South Park, steps away from Los Angeles's Fashion and Arts Districts, the Downtown L.A. Proper Hotel is situated in a restored Californian Renaissance Revival landmark building. In the 1920s and 30s, the historic space, first designed by celebrated architects Alexander Curlett and Claud Beelman, was home to a private club and later, in the 60s, it became a YWCA.

Deeply residential in feel, each of the 148 rooms and suites has a story of its own. Curated vintage pieces are mixed with specially designed furnishings, hand-applied plaster detailing, a warm palette of charcoals and mauves, and richly woven textiles. Standing out are the Proper Basketball Court Suite and Proper Pool Suite. The former reimagines the building's vintage court by elevating original details like painted court lines and double-height ceilings through a luxurious floor plan with sleeping, living, and dining areas, Spanish-influenced interior design, and sweeping city views.

The latter pays homage to the building's heritage by placing the original 35x12-foot indoor swimming pool in the center of a one-of-a-kind living room, where it's surrounded by Portuguese-inspired marble and stonework as well as a mosaic mural by L.A. artist Ben Medansky.

Beyond private spaces, the Downtown L.A. Proper Hotel boasts a multilevel rooftop pool deck and three dining areas that are destinations in their own rights. In addition to a stand-out culinary experience, the rooftop offers a picturesque setting for lounging, with cozy corners, a heated pool, and fire pits.

hospitality.net/Downtown Proper LA Hotel

Quote:

Downtown LA busiest in nation for new apartments

A recent report offers a new perspective on the pace of gentrification in Downtown Los Angeles, finding more than 10,000 apartments have been built in the area since 2017, tops for any locale nationwide.

The report comes from RentCafe, an apartment-search website that regularly publishes proprietary research. RentCafe analyzed construction data between 2017 and 2021 across the nation’s 50 largest cities, and used its own neighborhood boundary maps. The analysis only counted buildings with 50 or more units.

Downtown L.A.’s spot at the top of the list is not exactly a surprise –– developers have been pursuing a “live-work-play” transformation of the city’s center for more than 20 years. The additions of residential and retail amenities have brought change to areas dominated by offices as well as working commercial districts for the garment, jewelry, toy and produce trades.

The process has reversed a trend that went back to the latter half of the 20th century, when the city’s center fell into second-class status as Los Angeles set a course of decentralization. The planning relied on the extensive freeway system that laces the city, and created new residential and commercial hubs in outlying districts such as Century City, the Wilshire Corridor and Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley, among others.

The trend saw a slowdown with the financial crisis and Great Recession but resumed momentum in its wake, as luxury developers sought to capitalize on relatively cheaper real estate and the area’s central location with new construction. The pandemic hit the neighborhood’s commercial and entertainment districts hard, although several big, high-end projects continued to completion, finishing a number of residential developments that helped notch the numbers tracked by the RentCafe study.

Midtown Atlanta, which saw 5,900 apartments go up between 2017 and 2021, ranked second in RentCafe’s analysis. The Queens neighborhood of Hunters Point ranked third, with 5,400 new units. Washington D.C.’s Navy Yard neighborhood, Chicago’s South Loop, Downtown San Jose and Hollywood also all cracked the top 10.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:35 PM

Some nice Oceanwide doomer news to enjoy on this beautiful Friday

https://therealdeal-com.cdn.ampproje...ebt-payment%2F

Quote:
Debtholders seized Oceanwide Center, which has been plagued by failed sales, $1.6 billion of ballooning costs and more than $40 million of mechanic’s liens, after two of the firm’s subsidiaries missed payments on $321.5 million of notes.

The investors’ “main rights include possession of the collateral and selling, replacing or disposing of the collateral,” Oceanwide said. The firm said it was in talks with the debtholders to come to a resolution.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:55 PM

Can someone please update the front page again with Doctorboffin's October 22 update? The last one on the previous page. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
Can someone please update the front page again with Doctorboffin's October 22 update? The last one on the previous page. Thanks!
Seconded! Also for the update, as of today, 676 Mateo can be moved from proposed to Approved!

https://urbanize.city/la/post/city-p...mateo-go-ahead

676 Mateo

8 Stories - Mixed-Use (111’) 185 Live/ Work Units

(Photo Credit: Urbanize.LA)

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
Some nice Oceanwide doomer news to enjoy on this beautiful Friday

https://therealdeal-com.cdn.ampproje...ebt-payment%2F
I just find it odd that they are trying really hard to hold on to the LA site but are trying to sell everything else....You would think the LA site, being a year-ish max away from completion would be the one they would want to see to save their other projects. I wish they would sell and quickly. Too bad the city cant do more.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I just find it odd that they are trying really hard to hold on to the LA site but are trying to sell everything else....You would think the LA site, being a year-ish max away from completion would be the one they would want to see to save their other projects. I wish they would sell and quickly. Too bad the city cant do more.
Not sure how true…but it’s speculated that Trump is in talks with taking over the project.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I imagine that it is because they are so close they want to keep LA and finish it. If they get it done they can still get their logo up on the crown, put it in their portfolio of finished projects, stable after this bad period etc.

I would think it would also be easier to sell a not yet developed plan (NYC) or what is basically hole in the ground vs. an almost finished set of buildings that may not fit with the vision of what another developer would want to do with the site (LA).

I don't care how it gets done, but I just want Oceanwide LA to be done already, as envisioned with the swoopy podium deck and all. I'm tired of staring out it without progress out of my window.

Hopefully it can still happen.

Last edited by LAisthePlace; Oct 29, 2021 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 1:17 AM

More hearsay, but I heard that when they tried to sell the LA project, the offers they got basically valued all of the construction done so far at $0. Makes sense they would rather try to pull it through than eat that heavy sunk cost.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 9:30 PM

Double post for a street level update from my run yesterday

Fig + Pico

Some tiny apartment project that's moving super slow on Flower & Pico

Brookfield

Fig & 8th

The Grand

All pics
https://imgur.com/a/pfQFRUA

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the photo update, nmkef. Pico at Fig is coming all nicely, and I'm looking forward to seeing Brookfield climb higher and higher on the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 2:38 AM

It's not the greatest tower, but the 8th and Figueroa is a welcome addition to downtown. That parking lot sitting idle all this time was strange.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 3:30 PM

I don't know why people were complaining about the Grand earlier. Compared to all those generic south park towers, the thing looks great. Brookfield is also turning out nice. It's a classy design, looks more like an office tower. I'm just sick of all the blue-green glass and stack-of-balconies towers going up everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I don't know why people were complaining about the Grand earlier. Compared to all those generic south park towers, the thing looks great. Brookfield is also turning out nice. It's a classy design, looks more like an office tower. I'm just sick of all the blue-green glass and stack-of-balconies towers going up everywhere.
My friends, who were familiar with Gehry but never seen The Grand, went to Disney Hall and I showed them The Grand and they remarked about how generic mall looking it was. When I told them it was Gehry, they were shocked and couldn't believe it. It's better than other LA skyscrapers but that's not really setting the bar very high and as a piece of work designed by Gehry, it's B+ at best among his global portfolio. I've tried very hard, but I don't like it to be honest. It's still better than that parking structure.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax_gray View Post
My friends, who were familiar with Gehry but never seen The Grand, went to Disney Hall and I showed them The Grand and they remarked about how generic mall looking it was. When I told them it was Gehry, they were shocked and couldn't believe it. It's better than other LA skyscrapers but that's not really setting the bar very high and as a piece of work designed by Gehry, it's B+ at best among his global portfolio. I've tried very hard, but I don't like it to be honest. It's still better than that parking structure.
I guess the big name hurts it more than it helps. But at the end of the day, it's another mixed-use residential project, and it looks better than most of them out there.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised your friends were shocked that The Grand was designed by Gehry. His latest project under construction in Burbank (Warner Bros.) is along the same vein: https://assets.newatlas.com/dims4/de...ct-gehry-1.jpg

If the bottom floor looks like a generic mall, well, isn't it because it will become a shopping mall, basically? I'm sure they didn't invest in high quality materials along the mall portion because they'd have to be ripped out anyway for possible franchise façades and logos/signage.

I actually like The Grand. Yeah, not a groundbreaking tower, but a better shape than the generic towers going up at the other end of downtown, and like others have mentioned, at least he didn't go the blue/green glass route. I maybe would've liked to have seen some titanium or more brushed steel on it, but oh well. It's already looking like it fits in with the rest of the buildings on Bunker Hill.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm kind of surprised your friends were shocked that The Grand was designed by Gehry. His latest project under construction in Burbank (Warner Bros.) is along the same vein: https://assets.newatlas.com/dims4/de...ct-gehry-1.jpg

If the bottom floor looks like a generic mall, well, isn't it because it will become a shopping mall, basically? I'm sure they didn't invest in high quality materials along the mall portion because they'd have to be ripped out anyway for possible franchise façades and logos/signage.

I actually like The Grand. Yeah, not a groundbreaking tower, but a better shape than the generic towers going up at the other end of downtown, and like others have mentioned, at least he didn't go the blue/green glass route. I maybe would've liked to have seen some titanium or more brushed steel on it, but oh well. It's already looking like it fits in with the rest of the buildings on Bunker Hill.
Yeah I think it's only controversial because it's a Gehry designed building, but he's actually done similar looking buildings before. Maybe we're spoiled here because we know him from the beautiful and iconic Walt Disney Concert Hall. But some people don't really care for Gehry's work at all, I mean his entire body of work, and I have to admit, he's got some real stinkers out there, but I don't think the Grand is one of them.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I think what makes the WB project different and interesting is the tilt of the buildings. That project looks great to me, and am pretty excited to see how it shapes up. For The Grand, there are incredible malls around the world and this for me doesn't have that star architect wow factor. Perhaps better materials would have made it a lot better, I'm not sure. But like I said, prefer this than that parking structure.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
They really aren’t familiar with Gehry if they were surprised. The project has Gehry written all over the design…and to say generic mall? I guess generic is in the eye of the beholder.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations