New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 1:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: FC

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Credit: FC
Brooklyn really needs a signature office tower, hopefully they get moving on Site 5

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 11:36 PM
West End & Riverside

A friend recently bought on the Cow Anus and we went to visit today, he says it only smells when it rains

9 Dekalb (scroll----------> to see the OG Big Willy):

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 12:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht-freak View Post
NYguy That is incorrect. If you compare different websites, you will see different heights for the same building. I lived in Brooklyn for 9 years leaving in the 70's. I could see the existing tallest buildings. For years, many sources had the Montague-Court building listed as 399', which I knew had to be incorrect. I finally found the correct height (462') in Skyscraper center(Council on tall buildings and urban habitat) and emailed this site to correct in the diagrams, which they did as did other sources. I've been trying to get this site to do the same for 75 Livingston St. listed as 343', should be 399' as stated in aforementioned website. The list goes on and on. Check it out yourself. Look at Ava Dobro, 540 Fulton(to name a couple)Look up their respective heights on this site, Skyscraper City, wikipedia and others to see what I mean.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. But the building heights are submitted to the Department of Buildings. It's not some random number they just make up, all of the heights and floor numbers, everything thing down to the simplest bolt has to be accounted for. That's why there are revisions when changes are made. They have to be very specific.

Anyway, more shots of 9 DeKalb...

SEPTEMBER 25, 2021

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 27, 2021 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 5:29 PM

NYguy I never said they just made up some random numbers. My point is, there is a lot of inconsistency in roof height info. Some are blatantly wrong and obvious to the eye. Just look at some of the newer buildings in Brooklyn, for example. Compare the height info on this site to Skyscraper City, Skyscraper Center, Emporis, Wikipedia. It makes it difficult to know which heights are correct or "official"

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
NYguy I never said they just made up some random numbers. My point is, there is a lot of inconsistency in roof height info. Some are blatantly wrong and obvious to the eye. Just look at some of the newer buildings in Brooklyn, for example. Compare the height info on this site to Skyscraper City, Skyscraper Center, Emporis, Wikipedia. It makes it difficult to know which heights are correct or "official"

I don't care what's on some website, or who's on it. I go by official documents, which is what's presented in the DOB. Short of having that, I can go by a given height. But as I've said, a given height can mean anything. As far as determining skyscraper heights, you can just go off of a roof height. You have to get the total height. So you inconsistency would be in only relying on what is "stated", rather that what you can actually see, the documents. Now, as anyone who's ever followed skyscraper development knows, sometimes, the heights do change. And that will be reflected as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUWAprCMQzI/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVoX6dFr0G/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUPQiDerPnt/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 7:14 AM

NYguy First, of all my point is not about this building, per se. It's about the history of inaccuracy. YOUR point may be more relevant to proposed or buildings in progress. MY point is more about the fact that there is height discrepancies even in very old buildings. Granted there is different criteria to determine height, today. I'll give you an example; look at the older buildings on Court Street in Brooklyn, look up their respective heights and you'll see the info is incorrect.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:43 PM

The KING of Brooklyn!!

Driving into Bkyn on Williamsburg Bridge.. building dominates the skyline!!

Totally AWESOME!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:30 PM

eye spy, roughly 45 miles away.

NYC skyline as seen from Perkins memorial by paramsach, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; Sep 28, 2021 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
NYguy First, of all my point is not about this building, per se. It's about the history of inaccuracy. YOUR point may be more relevant to proposed or buildings in progress. MY point is more about the fact that there is height discrepancies even in very old buildings. Granted there is different criteria to determine height, today. I'll give you an example; look at the older buildings on Court Street in Brooklyn, look up their respective heights and you'll see the info is incorrect.
I've already said more than needed to be said about the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
eye spy, roughly 45 miles away.
That's a very tricky angle. My guess is behind BofA?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVLP65FLwK/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's a very tricky angle. My guess is behind BofA?
You are correct.

Amazing photo by the way

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
Brooklyn really needs a signature office tower, hopefully they get moving on Site 5
One with an observation deck ... Manhattan's saturated with them now and a Brooklyn deck would be quite the draw IMHO.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertElim View Post
You are correct.

Amazing photo by the way
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
One with an observation deck ... Manhattan's saturated with them now and a Brooklyn deck would be quite the draw IMHO.
It would be great to get a deck in Brooklyn.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUYvB_fsH7w/

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 30, 2021 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 10:10 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yes downtown brooklyn is now in need of an official observation deck. queens too for that matter. maybe next tower!

for now of course most of us know about the kimoto roof bar atop the sheraton, which is pretty, pretty good for views.

i am really over the moon about this stage of 9 dekalb because now you can see so much of its really top shelf/excellent cladding up.

if you are in downtown brooklyn and get a chance to go by the site definitely do so and try to see one of the cladding sections up close while you still can, it's impressively high quality.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:00 PM
West End & Riverside

Please no ob-deck in Bklyn! Keep the tourists across the river please, or on those captive loop buses, that's one of the reasons I moved over here

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ yes downtown brooklyn is now in need of an official observation deck. queens too for that matter. maybe next tower!

for now of course most of us know about the kimoto roof bar atop the sheraton, which is pretty, pretty good for views.

i am really over the moon about this stage of 9 dekalb because now you can see so much of its really top shelf/excellent cladding up.

if you are in downtown brooklyn and get a chance to go by the site definitely do so and try to see one of the cladding sections up close while you still can, it's impressively high quality.
I don't see the point of having an observation deck in either borough, at least not downtown or in LIC. I assume that's what you mean by having one in Queens, right? Being above downtown Brooklyn would be nice and all, but it gets so few out-of-town visitors relative to the FiDi or Midtown, I just don't see it being very attractive. Plus, those observation decks are primarily in commercial buildings while downtown Brooklyn is mostly residential high rises. Doesn't seem like a fit to me. As for Queens, what would you want to see that you can't from the waterfront already?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 7:20 PM

This is a residential tower, so an observation deck doesn't make sense.

Brooklyn will get more supertalls, including commercial supertalls. Maybe the Pacific Park site planned for a huge office tower, across Flatbush from Barclay's. That site potentially has no height limits. Would be a nice location for an office supertall with observatory.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:38 AM
New Yorker for life

This building was never going to have an observation deck, although some of the residential towers do have them for residents.

Gary Barnett flirted with the idea of a deck at the Central Park Tower, but it wasn't feasible.

But it's a touristy town, and the tourists are already in Brooklyn. It wouldn't shock me to one day see one there.

https://twitter.com/Tectonicphoto/st...822272/photo/1

https://fry-electronics.com/early-ad...lobal-warming/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 6:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

no one should expect an observation deck in a residential building, but there is no doubt brooklyn and queens will get them in office buildings soon enough. those big boys will come.

and some of you are smoking 1990s doobies, because tourists are everywhere in downtown brooklyn and westernmost queens these days.

in the meantime, no worries when there are rooftop joints to go to for the views like kimoto, the hoxton, revel, etc., etc..

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 7:02 PM

Yeah, downtown Brooklyn is already pretty thick with tourists. An observation deck will come, but in a commercial tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture