HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 1:18 PM

Usually when something new opens in Erie and people say it "doesn't feel like Erie" that's probably the highest complement you can ask for. That's exactly what I've been hearing about the Food Hall and I can say I felt the same when visiting newer restaurants on the Bayfront, West Erie Plaza, etc.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
I went to the the food hall tonight and I was really blown away with the vibe inside. Definitely felt like I was in some mid-sized metro, not Erie lol.

It was busy, but not ridiculously so. All the food stalls had patrons at them and it seemed like everyone was excited. There was a large variety of different people there which was nice to see.

The food hall put signage up at both entrances and it looks pretty amazing.

I got food from Noodlelove and it was really good. This will definitely be a community asset and a selling point for Erie as a place to live and visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKZips View Post
Usually when something new opens in Erie and people say it "doesn't feel like Erie" that's probably the highest complement you can ask for. That's exactly what I've been hearing about the Food Hall and I can say I felt the same when visiting newer restaurants on the Bayfront, West Erie Plaza, etc.
Nice! Very glad to hear it. Plan on stopping in when I'm back in the hometown over the holidays... but man, deep down I really wish Park Place was still there instead of this "food hall" with all its fancy foreign food.

Last edited by pj3000; Nov 23, 2021 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:42 PM

Some additional renderings I hadn't seen before. I like the looks.

A grocery and retailer are good fits in a space and location like this... particularly with the planned developments on Sassafras Pier (i.e., residential, office, entertainment) and Bayfront Parkway enhancements.

Of course, I'm not crazy about all the surface parking featured in the renderings. but I get that they're going to need it for shoppers popping in to grab something rather quickly as they are passing it going to work or going home. It can't function just a "destination" market house, or it will never succeed... as those destination markets have a hard time making it work in even the largest cities.

What do they need? Erie Events wants potential tenants' input on bayfront market

Two prospective tenants, a grocer and a retailer, have expressed strong interest in the bayfront market project; Erie Events officials will not publicly name them

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...ts/8671583002/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:46 PM

The below video is an extended walkthrough of the food hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBWC6XtE8c

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:07 PM

Erie's former Greyhound bus station on Perry Square demolished

Bittersweet day as the old Greyhound bus station on North Park Row was demolished today for new EDDC developments.

The collection of buildings they have drafted to replace the former bus station definitely fit in better with architectural style of the block.

https://www.goerie.com/videos/news/l...nt/8746519002/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:25 PM

^ Ha! Beat me to it!

Former Greyhound bus station on North Park Row in downtown Erie demo'ed yesterday (VIDEO: https://www.goerie.com/videos/news/l...nt/8746519002/) to make way for the continued EDDC-led redevelopment of the block.

Like I've said previously in this thread, it would have been nice if the very front part of the building could have been deconstructed and rebuilt as part of a new development (possibly integrated into the new residential building going up at W5th & Peach... would have fit nicely with the design):

Those types of historic integrations happen all the time. Though I imagine it would be considered cost-prohibitive to do so. And the building had not been maintained for decades... the facade has been in terrible shape since the 1980s.

All in all, I'm happy that it has come down. Most of the tract on which the building sat was a surface lot for buses -- a completely inappropriate use for prime property right on the city's main public square. An unfortunate remnant of the "moderne" era of the 30s and 40s.

A "Victorian" style building housing ground-level retail and upper floor residential will fill the gap, replacing the building and its adjacent bus parking lot. The three mid-block facades (beige, dark gray, light gray):

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:26 AM

Current photo of the bayfront and downtown Erie taken by local photographer Pat Grab.

Can you imagine what the bayfront will look like once there's some more development on it and a little more density?

Also, I hope whatever is done with East Dobbins Landing, it is attractive and a good use of the space.

That massive surface lot next to 100 Peach sticks out like a sore thumb, though.

https://www.facebook.com/ErieApparel...84514568446119

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:15 PM

^ that's a nice shot of the city. A ton of potential for development exists.

Unfortunately, UPMC-Hamot wants a suburban-style campus... hospitals are notoriously bad from an urbanism perspective. That lot at the foot of Sassafras is SCREAMING for development. I imagine that with the proposals for the pier below, that the lot will be considered for a much better use than parking. Great spot for mixed-use residential(condos/apts), hotel, office, ground-level restaurant/bar and basic retail.

So much potential for the following surface lots in this view alone:

• Scott development (Harborplace)
  • UPMC-Hamot lots between State and Sass, W3rd to Bayfront
  • Erie Insurance lot east of Richford Arms
  • 300 State Street lot
  • McAllister Marine development
  • "Roundabout" between E and W Dobbins Landing (I HATE those 16 parking spaces... could be a central focal point for the city's front door, i.e., fountain/mounment/etc.)
  • All pf Public Dock/Dobbins Landing parking

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 2:55 AM

A couple of interesting developments:

First, the expERIEnce Children's Museum was awarded $5 million for their planned expansion project. As part of the expansion, the museum will build a three story building on the corner lot adjacent to the current building, pictured below.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...nt/8856147002/

Also, the city of Erie is requesting the release of funds to use for it's downtown streetscaping plan. The plan involves the removal and replanting of several street trees as well as adding new ones. Also, light fixtures, poles, decorative lighting work will be added/repaired throughout most of downtown as well.

https://cityof.erie.pa.us/wp-content...jMfrEwKLr9pYSU

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 1:28 PM

Luther Memorial Church buys downtown motel

Erie forum members, rejoice!

The crappy motel at W. 10th and Sassafras has been purchased for $1.1M by the adjacent Luther Memorial Church.

The president of the church council said the motel will be demolished soon, possibly by the end of the month.

Now here's where the story turns not so good:

Per the GoErie article, There are no plans for new construction on the former hotel property. "They are going to plant grass there, becoming, for the near future, green space," Fobes said.

So while we aren't losing much, we aren't gaining anything.
I didn't expect a church to build anything groundbreaking but I wanted this corner to see an increase in density, which it looks like it won't for some time at least. I guess I can be happy the motel is gone though.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...el/8887471002/

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:16 PM

^ Will be great to see that motel gone!

Alas, a downtown corner lot will be "green space". The cynic in me tells me that we're going to see a large, landscaped parking lot to match the massive surface lot at Cathedral Center across Sassafras St., but maybe this one will have some "activity space".

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 8:50 PM

Here's a rendering of the upcoming children's museum expansion at E. 5th and French Streets. That corner lot is currently used for outdoor space but will soon house the 3-story addition.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 5:16 AM

^ Well that's just terrible. WMF "architecture"... no surprise... they're truly the worst... it's almost as if they try to make their newest design worse than their last completed project.

I spy elements of their last abomination of design, the Marquette Bank building on 10th & Peach, in this smeared vomit.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:28 PM

Good Deal. Developer wants to convert vacant Avalon Hotel to 219 apartments centered for single downtown workers. Plans are contingent upon City of Erie code variance.

Article from the Erie Times News

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...ti/6424104001/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
Good Deal. Developer wants to convert vacant Avalon Hotel to 219 apartments centered for single downtown workers. Plans are contingent upon City of Erie code variance.

Article from the Erie Times News

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...ti/6424104001/
I'm really hoping this happens. While I would have preferred a renovated hotel, this was my next choice.

I also like how they mentioned activating the unused retail space on the ground floor and updating the streetscape along the property.

Here's to hoping this happens!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 8:25 PM

^ this is great news. It gives me hope for downtown south of Perry Square

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 9:20 PM

About 12yrs ago when I moved back to Erie from Tx, I thought of a food court in the Boston store. It seems the current location is working out fine. Should be a boom when Erie Ins gets their full complement downtown.
On a similar note I thought of apartments or condos at the Avalon. I sounds like after thought I know. I had also mention the old Masonic Bldg either converted to apts or a housing project for Gannon students.
There is enough senior housing already downtown.
I had initially had $5k down payment for the Mercantile which was to be completed a month after i returned to Erie but they putzed around with delays. as there was no condos downtown, I ended up in suburbia & still travel to center city about 3x week.
The old Sanner Office Supply bldg needs a reno as its a disgrace as it stands now.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
The old Sanner Office Supply bldg needs a reno as its a disgrace as it stands now.
Nearly the entire east side of State from 12th to 14th could really use an EDDC-style makeover, since no one else seems to care and/or has the ability to do it.

Adultmart, along with the Erie Window Glass building, have been the best looking buildings on that stretch for over a decade now, while the rest have received nothing but the "Erie treatment".

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:30 PM

Proposed Avalon development granted zoning variance

The zoning variance for the Avalon was approved by Erie City Council yesterday. GoodHomesCo LLC, a New York City based company, palns to buy the hotel and convert it to 219 studio and one-bedroom apartments.

The renovation will include a tenant lounge, a game room, a gym, as well as other amenities.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...ct/6448073001/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:37 PM

It looks like the new Red Roof Inn Plus at 18th and State is set to open in the spring.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...re/8839171002/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations