HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltCityScrapers View Post
Something I've noticed for several years...

We have a few buildings listed as considerably taller than their actual heights, on both Wikipedia and several other internet sites. I'm not sure where these figures originated but they are definitely wrong:

The American Towers condos are listed as 324 feet. They are plainly much shorter than their next door neighbor, 222 Main, which is 318 feet. I made some measurements on Google Earth, which seems to be pretty accurate. They clock in at around 288 feet.

The second inaccurate listing is the Hilton City Center, which is listed at 243 feet. It is plainly not that tall. More like around 186 feet.

Finally, the State Capitol is listed as 285 feet. I cannot get that height unless I measure from the top of the statue clear across the lawn hundreds of feet away at 300 North. The actual height from the top of the statue down to the lawn immediately in front of the building's stairs is 253 feet.

Not sure if anyone wants to correct it or not, just trying to keep it real
The citations that were included (prior to my work) have all been linked to a real estate data mining company called Emporis.

222 S Main is listed as 316 feet

America Tower South is listed at 324 feet

Hilton Salt Lake City Center is listed at 242.95 feet

The Utah State Capitol is listed at 285 feet.

So that is where the measurements have come from. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a better site than Emporis to double check a lot of these measurements. If someone knows a better one, that would be very helpful.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
A lot of these heights were established by the old skyscrapers.com page (now Emporis), which really didn't fact check any of the heights.
Yeah, I could tell on several of them, cause Emporis lists a lot of buildings as the exact same heights. This has made me think they are more estimates than anything. I just don't know of a better source. I almost wish the city would do some some research and measurements so that we could have an exact height for each building.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:49 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
What do you propose we do to address the colossal need for new housing? (seriously)

Edit: Just saw the page of posts below this comment.
I mean, if the option is to go neighborhood by neighborhood destroying the fabric of these communities, oftentimes forcing lower-income and middle-income renters out of these homes, just to replace them with ugly, soulless developments? Yeah, I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I think the convention center is a huge barrier for east-west pedestrian travel. Development of those big parking lots between north and south temple along with the west quarter will hopefully help a lot. Couldn't the city do more to replicate main's pedestrian feel on other streets?
I agree that's part of it. But no, the city probably couldn't do more than they've already done or they would have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
My understanding is that the roofline of the WFC is 400 ft, and that the cylindrical structure on top adds another 22 ft.

The Rio Grande Plan + planned 400 S TRAX line will change this. rockies is right about the convention center being a huge barrier between Main and the Gateway. West Quarter Phase II will help substantially there with the midblock connection between 200 S and the Vivint. Also, 200 S is going to be getting a makeover soon, with bus and bike lanes, more trees, etc. Should be a positive change.

The food and bar scene in downtown SLC has gotten substantially better in the last decade. The city is filling in and, despite the hindrance of large blocks and streets, with thousands of new residents it will feel significantly more walkable and happening in the coming years.
lol wake me up in 30 years when it's fully realized.

I love your optimism but much of that is just a pipedream. It ain't happening and it certainly isn't going to make downtown one cohesive area - at least not in the next few decades.

But again, the point is that all this adds up and makes downtown far less vibrant than the cities I mentioned in my post. There is very limited foot engagement outside Main Street. It's been like that for pretty much the history of downtown and it will continue to be like that.

This is a debate we've been having on this forum since I joined in 2002. And, despite what a lot pretend, it's not that much better today than it was back then. It's still a massive gap between Main and Gateway that isn't going to be changed anytime soon. That's a fact.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Yeah, I could tell on several of them, cause Emporis lists a lot of buildings as the exact same heights. This has made me think they are more estimates than anything. I just don't know of a better source. I almost wish the city would do some some research and measurements so that we could have an exact height for each building.
About 10 years ago, the City/County Building was listed at a whopping 290 feet. At some point, someone corrected that with engineering docs from the seismic refit.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 12:19 AM

All the bickering today!!!

In my humble opinion, I think downtown Salt Lake has grown and improved a lot over the past 20 years, especially the past 10. I don't think it is ugly, soulless and I really don't think it is ANYTHING like West Valley, Davis County or anywhere else in Utah. Has it arrived as a world class city? No. We are a very young city that is still developing and we are definitely on the rise. I am excited for the recent growth and for what is coming down the pike in the next few years. We ARE becoming more and more urban. I really haven't noticed too many single family homes being destroyed with the new development - it has mostly filled in parking lots and ugly small 70's style office buildings. That being said, we will have to tear down some homes for this city to continue to grow up. We should never tear down historic homes and I don't think that is going on. So those of you complaining that Salt Lake needs to grow up and have more impressive developments, but are not wanting anything to be torn down doesn't make any logical sense. This is necessary if we want this growing phase of history to continue . AND - if we want to catch up with some of our larger, more developed counterparts - like Denver.

Blau, Atlas Orlando - I agree with everything you gents have posted today.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:33 AM

Comrade

Progress has been painfully slow for the last 3-4 decades to breath some life into downtown, no doubt about it. But progress has definitely been made and you can see it today on the streets albeit slow. However I do believe the new “x” factor that will accelerate a more vibrant SLC is the amount of residential going up in downtown. This is far and away the largest building boom SLC has seen and the majority is residential. We are getting a new tallest and it is residential. I would not have believed that fact 5 years ago. Add to that the proposed Regent next to Astra, Main Street tower, liberty sky, the Wilmington and you have 5 large residential towers coming soon, all of which seem very likely. This is what is getting me more excited to watch downtown finally bloom. I certainly understand the skepticism but the residential growth is something new and I think a game changer. Once we get 5 years out I think we will see projects that cater to the public that will make SLC a destination besides the Church. I keep harping on a world class recreation center on my wish list, but things like this will come once the people are here in greater numbers. Also to the point of street activity. I almost think an entertainment district is needed more then all the streets being lively. 25th street up here in Ogden will shame any street in SLC for street activity. 25th street is unique to Ogden and was never destroyed thankfully. SLC will need to nurture a dense cluster of streets like this as opposed to all corners of the city being active. I don’t think it’s a negative to have one lively street but I do see your point about SLC street activity/engagement. I’m here for the towers but I’m optimistic of what downtown can finally become with all the new people coming.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
Why does living downtown matter? Are you implying that to have a say in downtown matters you have to live there? That’s like saying if you live in downtown you can’t comment on the Draper prison site development, inland port or new airport for that matter. That’s ludicrous. Please enlighten me.
I was just curious is all. Trying to get a sense of where people live to see if there are correlations between certain viewpoints on development/preservation/zoning/ etc, and their geographical proximity to downtown and/or their relationship with it.

But, not to worry, I don’t want to belabor the point any further than it has been already.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:38 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I agree with p much everything you said regarding downtown etc... but it really is comments like this that push people away from joining the conversation. Why must every time someone has a bad take we threaten them with getting banned it's like being called a witch in the late 17th century lmao. I didn't actually make an account here for a while because I didn't want to be accused of being a troll for just joining around a certain time
LOL - I don’t think it’s a bad take.
But thank you for the sentiment. I appreciate that.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:39 AM

Orlando. Remind me if PEG was moving forward kinda soon with its project next to the DA or are they waiting for the sundial to go first. Also, the PEG development was residential right? If so I’m very pleased it’s not the 7 story residential stuff we have been seeing over and over. Anything you can share would be awesome!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneySLC View Post
I was just curious is all. Trying to get a sense of where people live to see if there are correlations between certain viewpoints on development/preservation/zoning/ etc, and their geographical proximity to downtown and/or their relationship with it.

But, not to worry, I don’t want to belabor the point any further than it has been already.
That’s fair, it would be interesting to know how the spatial relationship of people to downtown shapes their different views.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Orlando. Remind me if PEG was moving forward kinda soon with its project next to the DA or are they waiting for the sundial to go first. Also, the PEG development was residential right? If so I’m very pleased it’s not the 7 story residential stuff we have been seeing over and over. Anything you can share would be awesome!
It is by PEG. I'm not exactly sure what the status is, but I believe it's slowed a little.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 6:24 AM
One Thing At A Time

For what it’s worth, I live in a single family home in the ballpark neighborhood. I think SLC has quite a bit single family home stalk. I don’t love a lot of the 5 over 1 development but understand it’s needed AND the majority of it isn’t being built by bulldozing homes. That being said there ARE still plenty of empty lots or effing car dealerships that I’d rather see developed but that’s just not how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 9:25 AM

9th & 9th Townhomes - Planned Development

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 839 S Mendon Ct

4 new townhouse units.

Rendering

Site Plan

Vicinity Map

Elevations:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 10:15 AM

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 10:30 AM

I'm gonna be honest, I have loved this forum and all the great discussions we have had here. I have enjoyed being a member for the past 4 years and a lurker since high school.

During my 4 years posting here, I have felt part of a real community and have enjoyed talking with other like-minded individuals, even when we don't necessarily agree.

I have enjoyed updating all of you on all the new projects and developments, even spending hours out of my day, every day, doing so.

However, all good things come to an end. With the toxic nature of the discussions surrounding TMoneySLC, with TMoneySLC continuing to push even after the conversion was dropped, as well as the apparent agreement of many here, I have decided to leave this forum. It has just become too much to be worth it.

Thank you to all of those that have made my time here fun and exciting. I will genuinely miss talking with many of you.

Goodbye.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Oct 21, 2021 at 10:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:02 PM

Lol. The drama here is amazing.

Goodness.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:49 PM

lol just ignore TMoneySLC's posts if they're really bothering you. I always skip over Comrade's posts because they're just as bad. I can still enjoy this forum.

Last edited by freeshavocado; Oct 21, 2021 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:07 PM

Can we just agree to disagree and move on? Isn’t that the beauty in life and this forum? People of opposing views coming together and trying to find a middle grounds? Learn about each other and see what progress can be made. Sometimes people disagree and that’s okay

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:30 PM

Blah, are you really going to let 24 hours of argument negate 4 years of enjoyment?! Debate is what this country is founded on. While it would be helpful if peeps could debate without getting so hot-headed, I would still take lively debate over the ghost town this forum can many times be. Debating topics can be a nice filler between burst of development news.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:05 PM

Are you asking for a divorce? Maybe think about it for a week after emotions have calmed down. Bickering here never lasts forever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West