HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
CBC radio one has some indigenous programming, including Unreserved, and Reclaimed, and other programs certainly cover the culture and issues as well.
As someone else mentioned, Steve Paikin's The Agenda. He's very middle of the road and definitely not preachy at all. He's also an excellent interviewer who is always humble with his guest which I really appreciate.

CBC's At Issue is still pretty good also. Andrew Coyne and Chantal Hebert always have always been rather bright.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I would like to find some worthwhile Canadian podcasts, other than J.J. McCullough . Any suggestions?
I don't listen to much Canadian podcast content. J.J. as a commentator on Canadian issues is not my cup of tea; maybe he has a podcast that is different from his YouTube videos but the videos did not make me want to seek out more. In fairness to the CBC, I liked "Uncover", although there are only so many murder-related stories I will listen to (I did listen to the NXIVM ones and The Village).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:51 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggerino View Post
CBC's At Issue is still pretty good also. Andrew Coyne and Chantal Hebert always have always been rather bright.
Consistently the best political panel and analysts in this country and it's not particularly close.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:17 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
As someone else mentioned, Steve Paikin's The Agenda. He's very middle of the road and definitely not preachy at all. He's also an excellent interviewer who is always humble with his guest which I really appreciate.
Steve Paikin is a gem. He should be hosting a national show on politics. Canada really needs someone like him.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:13 AM

Quote:

Agree, my only issue with the At Issue is that its too short. Would love to hear Andrew and Chantal talk for an hour about a few issues.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Following on from my previous post, CBC's "Ideas" has some really good stuff, but it's 75% indigenous grievance. I've deliberately listened to some of it because I want to be sympathetic, but it's just complete shit. Nothing constructive, just whining about the status quo.
Ideas never used to be like that.

I mean, they did cover indigenous issues of course.

But it wasn't the dominant theme like (it seems it might be) today.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:22 PM
Closed account

6 Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published due to racist imagery

The article also mentions Babar as an agent of colonialism.

One of the controversies about Breakfast at Tiffany's was that Mickey Rooney played Mr. Yunioshi in yellowface. It is racist? Sure. Does it invalidate the charm and goodness of the rest of the movie? I don't think so. Breakfast at Tiffany's is a classic in a sense and we'd be poorer if we torched all the prints and erased it from out cultural sphere because it didn't conform to modern standards.

Roger Ebert once argued that: "The Birth of a Nation is not a bad film because it argues for evil. Like Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will, it is a great film that argues for evil. To understand how it does so is to learn a great deal about film, and even something about evil."

Tossing stuff down the memory hole willy-nilly at the mere thought of it offending someone may be more stunting to discourse than letting it exist and seeing it for what it is: flawed, perhaps, but still with a sense of goodness.

Or maybe I have a soft spot for Dr. Seuss from my childhood.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
6 Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published due to racist imagery

The article also mentions Babar as an agent of colonialism.
and the Great Purge continues...……

Does anyone else feel like we're stuck inside a new Spanish Inquisition???

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
and the Great Purge continues...……

Does anyone else feel like we're stuck inside a new Spanish Inquisition???
I posted this in the Current Events thread a few days ago.

I think there's something to it, even if no one AFAIK responded.

Actually the fact that no one responded might be a sign that there is something to it.

The good vs evil yingyang is actually one thing that makes me think that we're returning to very moralistic and judgemental times, almost Victorian or even Medieval.

The idea that such and such a view isn't just different or misguided, but actually purely "evil", is very non-Enlightenment.

Humans never truly abandon religion, you know. They just create new ones under fancy new names.

Kinda like how you file for bankruptcy with your company and then start up a new business doing the same thing not long after with a new moniker.

Meet the new God. Same as the old God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I posted this in the Current Events thread a few days ago.

I think there's something to it, even if no one AFAIK responded.

Actually the fact that no one responded might be a sign that there is something to it.

The good vs evil yingyang is actually one thing that makes me think that we're returning to very moralistic and judgemental times, almost Victorian or even Medieval.

The idea that such and such a view isn't just different or misguided, but actually purely "evil", is very non-Enlightenment.

Humans never truly abandon religion, you know. They just create new ones under fancy new names.

Kinda like how you file for bankruptcy with your company and then start up a new business doing the same thing not long after with a new moniker.

Meet the new God. Same as the old God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World
There's no return. People ten years ago gnashed their teeth about Harry Potter because he used magic. Now they gnash their teeth because JK Rowling is a TERF. It seems new or very old because it looks different, but it's the same shit; the polarity has just flipped.

*not to say that being shitty to trans people is the same as being shitty to wizards. Trans people are real, wizards aren't.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
There's no return. People ten years ago gnashed their teeth about Harry Potter because he used magic. Now they gnash their teeth because JK Rowling is a TERF. It seems new or very old because it looks different, but it's the same shit; the polarity has just flipped.

*not to say that being shitty to trans people is the same as being shitty to wizards. Trans people are real, wizards aren't.
Of course there is the touchy issue of whether JK Rowling is even being "shitty" to trans people in the first place...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:04 PM

They'd know better than I. Suppose, though, that the bible-thumping moral majoritarians really were just looking out for the eternal souls of hapless young readers.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
They'd know better than I. Suppose, though, that the bible-thumping moral majoritarians really were just looking out for the eternal souls of hapless young readers.
I might be totally out of synch with the times, but I don't wantonly dismiss ideas based on some of the "company they keep".

If someone dug up info showing Adolf Hitler was a Montreal Canadiens fan, I wouldn't stop being a fan for that reason. If you get my drift.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
If someone dug up info showing Adolf Hitler was a Montreal Canadiens fan, I wouldn't stop being a fan for that reason. If you get my drift.
But what if the Canadiens were found to have a signed poster of Adolph plastered on the wall of their dressing room, and a Swastika tile inlay imbedded in the floor...……..

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:20 PM

In terms of radio, some days I put on NPR. I find their programming to be of a higher quality and more balanced than the CBC. While I'm not heavily interested in most of the local stuff from Seattle and Washington State, the national shows often have something interesting.

Most of the CBC programming I listen to now is strictly the local Vancouver shows.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
But what if the Canadiens were found to have a signed poster of Adolph plastered on the wall of their dressing room, and a Swastika tile inlay imbedded in the floor...……..
We live in a country where Trudeau Sr. sympathizes with the Nazis, rode around Montreal on a motorbike with a German army helmet during the war, and rounded up and imprisoned a bunch of people without charge in October 1970, and he's still a hero to millions.

His son is still our PM in spite of a good number of behavioural "slippages" (of a different sort, of course).

So I think I am on pretty safe ground being a fan of the Habs!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
His son is still our PM in spite of a good number of behavioural "slippages" (of a different sort, of course).
I think it is correct to forgive the PM for his past poor taste, and I doubt many believe he is truly racist in any meaningful sense or would behave in the same way today. I believe that he sincerely regrets what he did too.

What's revealing about it is how some slights can be presented as utterly beyond the pale in one setting and then the same or worse barely registers in another. If this is how it works, maybe they are not truly such unforgivable sins, and it mostly depends on popularity and politics.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think it is correct to forgive the PM for his past poor taste, and I doubt many believe he is truly racist in any meaningful sense or would behave in the same way today. I believe that he sincerely regrets what he did too.

What's revealing about it is how some slights can be presented as utterly beyond the pale in one setting and then the same or worse barely registers in another. If this is how it works, maybe they are not truly such unforgivable sins, and it mostly depends on popularity and politics.
Correct. That's why I've been saying for a while that I don't really care about that stuff anymore. Barring actual criminal charges.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Correct. That's why I've been saying for a while that I don't really care about that stuff anymore. Barring actual criminal charges.
Sort of like if the same word could either (1) be so bad that it traumatizes/scandalizes a university student whose prof brought it up as part of studying some old literature or even if the prof uttered a word in a foreign language that sounds similar, while (2) there's a good chance the same student already heard it in a playlist compiled by a multi-billion dollar company that runs the world's most popular music service.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Sort of like if the same word could either (1) be so bad that it traumatizes/scandalizes a university student who heard it discussed in an abstract way by a prof or even if the prof uttered a word in a foreign language that sounds similar, while (2) there's a good chance the same student already heard it in a playlist compiled by a multi-billion dollar company that runs the world's most popular music service.
Yeah, sorta.

Of course, everyone could immediately see the innate absurdity of that contradiction if someone ever tried to pull that off.

Right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada