HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 3:51 AM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...alt-lake-city/

This article says that our sky club will be the largest Delta sky club. That’s pretty exceptional, it’s clear that they are making a long term investment here.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...alt-lake-city/

This article says that our sky club will be the largest Delta sky club. That’s pretty exceptional, it’s clear that they are making a long term investment here.
Does anyone know if any other clubs or lounges like Priority Pass will be coming to SLC?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 9:16 PM

Not sure if this is new or old, but https://www.slcairport.com/assets/Ne...nce/index.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:08 PM

So a fun video update of the airport construction is found on the airport's twitter page.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:43 PM

From the SLC airport website it appears that the main terminal will host a Delta Sky Club of 27,000 sq ft. It will also feature a 2000 square foot outdoor patio/deck for planespotting. However to answer previous questions it indicates that the North Concourse B will feature a smaller 6000 square foot Sky Club. That is good news for SLC. To not have a lounge in the north concourse would have been a mistake.

The Sky Club in the main terminal is slated to be the biggest Sky Club in the Delta network.

Last edited by orlandopilot; Sep 5, 2019 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandopilot View Post
From the SLC airport website it appears that the main terminal will host a Delta Sky Club of 28,000 sq ft. It will also feature a 2000 square foot outdoor patio/deck for planespotting. However to answer previous questions it indicates that the North Concourse B will feature a smaller 6000 square foot Sky Club. That is good news for SLC. To not have a lounge in the north concourse would have been a mistake.

The Sky Club in the main terminal is slated to be the biggest Sky Club in the Delta network.
Very nice!

Where is that on the SLC website? I couldn't find it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-adam View Post
Very nice!

Where is that on the SLC website? I couldn't find it.
Here you go: https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc...lc-fact-sheet/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:21 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Is it seriously going to be another year until this opens. It looks like they mainly just have to finish the inside and a few things on the outside. Any chance it could open sooner then September 2020? I must admit that it’s really hard to tell how far along the North concourse is... but why not open the South concourse, terminal, and parking garage sooner if they can? And they can start clearing away the old parking garage.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:58 PM

https://kutv.com/news/local/one-year...ats-left-to-do

From the article: "Because of the airlines, the construction timeline for the north concourse was sped up and will now likely open along with the first phase of the new airport – the south concourse and new terminal."

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:04 PM

Deleted

Last edited by downtownslcresident; Sep 20, 2019 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Is it seriously going to be another year until this opens. It looks like they mainly just have to finish the inside and a few things on the outside. Any chance it could open sooner then September 2020? I must admit that it’s really hard to tell how far along the North concourse is... but why not open the South concourse, terminal, and parking garage sooner if they can? And they can start clearing away the old parking garage.
I wouldn’t bet on it opening earlier. In fact there’s a very good chance it’ll actually open late. They’re actually quite a bit behind schedule because delta, the airport, and TSA are all constantly sending in change orders that keep putting things further and further behind schedule. There’s still quite a bit of work to be done on the south concourse, and they have to have occupancy permits ready to go by March so the airlines can come in and start building out their own spaces in preparation for opening. My sources are telling me theres a very big chance that won’t happen on time in March, but the airport is hesitant to actual schedule a new opening date because they don’t want the work to slow down.

There’s also an issue of other major projects in the area (Facebook, Amazon, etc) poaching workers from the airport project and providing incentive to jump projects because there’s a shortage of skilled workers in the area. That’s compounding the delay issues and the airport just isn’t providing enough incentive for people to put in the overtime to meet the deadlines.

We’ll see how it all goes!

On the other hand, I am starting to hear rumors that Delta is considering a direct flight to FCO once the airport opens!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
On the other hand, I am starting to hear rumors that Delta is considering a direct flight to FCO once the airport opens!
I'd be surprised to see that happen, but that would be cool!

My guess is that once the airport opens, within 5 years we will see:

ICN (possibly with a Korean Air bird)
One more Europe (maybe FCO?)
Maybe a South America (BOG?).. Maybe not

I would love to see some more airlines open shop as well...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post

I would love to see some more airlines open shop as well...
I forgot to mention, there is significant interest from Chinese airlines (specifically Air China and China Southern) to have a direct flight to SLC due to the large number of tourists visiting the states national parks. I’d expect a direct link to Beijing or Shanghai relatively soon!

For the same reason, I’d expect Condor to begin a direct flight to Frankfurt fairly soon. Their seasonal flight to phx this last year has been wildly successful and they are increasing capacity and frequency on that route for the coming year. With the large number of European tourists also visiting the parks, you’ll see them enter the market soon too.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
I forgot to mention, there is significant interest from Chinese airlines (specifically Air China and China Southern) to have a direct flight to SLC due to the large number of tourists visiting the states national parks. I’d expect a direct link to Beijing or Shanghai relatively soon!

For the same reason, I’d expect Condor to begin a direct flight to Frankfurt fairly soon. Their seasonal flight to phx this last year has been wildly successful and they are increasing capacity and frequency on that route for the coming year. With the large number of European tourists also visiting the parks, you’ll see them enter the market soon too.
I can see Condor for sure... The Chinese airlines? I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, LAS is closer to the southern Utah parks and has flights from Beijing

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 10:48 PM

Delta couldn’t make MSP-FCO (a larger market and shorter flight) work seasonally, so I don’t see any chance of SLC-FCO.

There aren’t any frequencies available for SLC-China in the US-China bilateral, so I wouldn’t expect that any time soon either.

I don’t think we should expect any new Europe destinations, but perhaps the second AMS flight might go year-round. Seasonal Condor might be a possibility but Delta has the Europe market pretty locked up.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I can see Condor for sure... The Chinese airlines? I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, LAS is closer to the southern Utah parks and has flights from Beijing

Not likely since the parent company just collapsed today.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:39 PM

Condor is being kept afloat with a loan from the German government. That being said I don’t think any airline being kept afloat with a loan is in a position to expand very much.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Not likely since the parent company just collapsed today.
Down goes Thomas Cook! Condor looking to stay alive with assistance from German government, but yeah, I doubt we see them in SLC now.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 6:23 AM

I was able to take a tour of the new terminal building. Here are some pictures:

This is inside the South Concourse, West Leg, looking west. It was taken at the top of the escalators that will take people down to the west tunnel to the North Concourse, so about 2/3 the way down the concourse. The roof is sloped to the north so that reflected glare does not blind pilots as they try to land. These two issues prevent the use of solar panels on the building itself, but the airport planners are looking into using some of their extra land as a solar farm in the near future. The end of the concourse is very close to the runway, and is already a fantastic place to watch airplanes take off and land.

The main hall, or 'Canyon,' or 'Crossroads of the West.' (All the airport managers who were present on the tour had a different name for it.) Eventually the escalators right under the American Flag will take people down to the central tunnel, where they will board a people mover to the North and Far North concourses.
The room didn't feel remarkably large to me. Obviously its much bigger than any space in the old airport terminals, but it isn't anything awe inspiring. Perhaps when all the art is installed it will have more of a grand feel to it - whereas now it just feels perfunctory.

The same hall, but now looking south toward the unsecured areas.

Baggage Carousels are already installed. There will be seven.

Speaking of baggage, the new underground conveyor system is pretty nifty. They didn't let me take pictures for security reasons. It is such a glorious, complicated spaghetti bowl I wished they could have let us ride on it. (When I was a boy scout in Idaho we visited the Idaho Falls Airport and they let us ride on the baggage conveyor into the airport, since there was only one belt. When we popped out onto the carousel we were greeted by some very confused European tourists on their way to Yellowstone, and the looks on their faces were priceless! But I digress...)
The conveyor belts eventually lead to the various baggage train loading bays, which are directly under the concourses. These bays were built without any room for ventilation because the airport is shifting to an all-electric fleet of baggage tractors. By not needing the extra height or mechanical ventilation equipment the airport was able to save many dozens of millions of dollars.

The welcome center, looking east. This is the structure attached to the north end of the new parking garage, and is connected to the main terminal via two skybridges. On the left will be a remote check-in area, separate from the main check-in area on the third floor. A branch of the baggage conveyor system will extend under the roads and take bags from the welcome center directly into the main terminal, where all the X-raying will be done.
On the right will be a bunch of rental car agencies, and on the far end of this hall is the original location for the future TRAX station, which has since been moved down to ground level by the baggage carousels.

Same location, but looking west. The frame laid against the window will contain the stained-glass window currently in the international terminal. The artist is still alive and will be responsible for the move.

The super-massive parking garage. This is the West Atrium (there are two). The trough on the floor will eventually house a moving sidewalk, so that the moment you get out of your car you won't have to take another step! This garage holds some sort of world record for largest garage with some qualifier that I forgot, but it really is massive. I wonder what percent of this entire project was spent on parking. It makes the complete exclusion (by law) of transit spending all the more jarring.

My thoughts are overall very positive. I trust that the new terminal will turn out to be just as awesome as everyone is promising it to be. I'm so positive that I would like to propose an idea:
Have the airport build a new passenger terminal at Salt Lake Central Station! Instead of that strange circle of parking that only the transit police use, build a nice train station building there, and have it be an extension of the airport authority. I can imagine all the check-in desks for various bus lines, and Amtrak, and then all the airlines too! Imagine getting off FrontRunner and checking in your bag at Salt Lake Central Station! Your bag would be taken to the airport via a secure van or something, while you would get to the airport via rail or express bus. Then, once you arrive at the airport, you would go straight to security and bypass all the other lines.
As the airport becomes more and more utilized and as demand grows, I think such a feature would be useful to alleviate crowding at the terminal itself. Just something to consider before the Olympics come knocking again.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 7:57 PM

Fantastic update Hatman!! Super excited to see this airport when it's finished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West