HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 10:55 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hmm... sounds like they want something beyond a plain grassy field.

Quote:
Hargreaves Associates has long wanted, principal Tim Anderson said, to do a park in Portland.

“Anybody that’s anybody as a landscape architect has a park there,” he said.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:52 PM

S. Waterfront greenway runs way over cost
Projections - Construction inflation through 2020 is cited as the park's price estimate rises 76 percent to $56 million

Saturday, November 24, 2007
RYAN FRANK
The Oregonian Staff

The expected price tag to build a 1.2-mile riverfront park in Portland's new South Waterfront district has risen 76 percent since the original estimate.

Architectural Cost Consultants' estimate based on 2004 costs pegged the project at $32 million. The public park -- better known as a greenway -- is designed to be a 100-foot-wide ribbon of biking and walking trails, a beach, plaza and fountains.

But by the time the greenway is finished in six phases after 2020, the price will be $56 million, according to a revised estimate. A consultant says construction cost inflation over the next 13 years is to blame.

In the short term, construction is supposed to start on the park's first phase next summer, and it's already $1.8 million more than the city's budget. The shortfall is likely to set off a battle over how to scale back the work.

The rising costs leave some in the area wondering whether the city's checkbook can keep pace with its dreams. "There's no way," says Bob Durgan, a frequent South Waterfront critic and consultant to Jay Zidell, whose companies own riverfront industrial land in the district. "There's a serious train wreck."

Like the aerial tram and streetcar, the riverfront greenway is a key piece of the city's 2003 deal to turn the South Waterfront area from an industrial wasteland into a $2 billion high-rise neighborhood. The greenway is supposed to provide an urban escape for people living in one of the state's most tightly packed residential neighborhood, a hangout for people from across the region and a riverbank salmon stopover.

Also like the tram, the greenway is proving to be far more expensive than first advertised.

The tram started at $15.5 million and finished at $57 million. In that case, city staff withheld information about flawed early cost projections and the project got hit with zooming steel prices.

With the greenway, the original estimate was done in 2004 dollars. It didn't include cost inflation because the city wasn't sure when the construction would start, said Patty Freeman, who is managing the greenway for the city Parks Bureau.

Designer Michael Zilis, a principal at Walker Macy in Portland, says the rising price comes from a ballpark estimate of 8 percent annual inflation for such things as fuel, concrete and steel.

Unfortunately for greenway backers, the South Waterfront isn't flush with urban renewal tax revenues like the Pearl District. Urban renewal money comes from taxes paid on rising property values. The Pearl has so much money city leaders are talking about spreading it to other parts of the city. In South Waterfront, all money through 2011 is spoken for, and there's nothing extra.

South Waterfront's greenway is eventually supposed to run from the Marquam Bridge south to just beyond the Old Spaghetti Factory. The first phase will run from Gibbs Street to Lane Street and parallel to the area's first condo towers.

Walker Macy's master plan for the first phase includes a pier and a kayak boat launch. "Right now, that available money doesn't build everything in that plan," Zilis said.

The city budgeted $7 million. The estimated cost is now $8.8 million.

The city doesn't plan to put up any more money. Some South Waterfront residents have talked about raising money privately to fill the gap.

In the future, developers and other private groups are expected to come up with 30 percent of the greenway costs. In the first phase, the private groups' share is projected at 12 percent.

North Macadam Investors, the area's lead developers, and Oregon Health & Science University paid about $1 million to build a temporary path for the condo buyers. The city now must tear out the path and regrade part of the bank to build the greenway, Freeman said.

Larry Brown, a Portland Development Commission manager, said the private share was lower in the first phase because North Macadam Investors poured money into other South Waterfront projects.

"In the end, they put $2.5 million into the tram even though it wasn't their problem to solve," Brown said. "They could have put more into the greenway, and we could have put more into the tram."

John Mangan, a North Macadam Investors spokesman, says the developers have done their job to get the greenway built. "The question is, where is the city in managing the project to completion under budget," he said.

As with the tram, developers, architects and the city will continue talks about how to make it happen. In 2004, developer Dike Dame of North Macadam Investors was asked how they'd find enough money for the greenway.

He said: "Money follows good ideas. It will get figured out."

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...120.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:07 AM

Thumbs up KGW to build studio at Pioneer Courthouse Square

This could be pretty cool. I've always thought that one of the local news stations should have a ground level studio in downtown.

KGW to build studio at Pioneer Courthouse Sq.
03:42 PM PST on Tuesday, January 29, 2008
By PAT DOORIS, KGW Staff

KGW TV President DJ Wilson announced the station will build and operate a permanent, HD studio in Portland’s living room, Pioneer Court House Square.

The station will take over the old Powell’s Books space. Wilson said the station expects to broadcast morning and noon news live from the studio beginning this summer.

KGW plans to début the studio with the launch of the Olympics.

Current designs envision floor-to-ceiling glass that will enable the public to watch the anchors at work.

Wilson announced the final agreement early Tuesday afternoon in front of the Board of Directors for Pioneer Court House Square.

“The opportunity to partner with the square, it’s just hard to express our excitement about that possibility,” said Wilson.

Wilson said the station will eventually invest as much as a million dollars into the new facility.

She said the public will also be able to walk along a side wall and look into the studio to watch behind the scenes work.

Wilson also envisions multiple TV monitors inside the front glass, pointing out toward the square, that will broadcast KGW TV, Northwest Cable News, KGW.COM or digital weather updates.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....6eb2e27b.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Current designs envision floor-to-ceiling glass that will enable the public to watch the anchors at work.
I could see issues arriseing with that...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 1:52 AM

works in NYC. I'll freaking love that! They could do a lot with this in the future.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 6:08 AM

cooooooooooooooooool, so i guess no kgw tower

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 6:17 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Remember kids, public nudity is legal in Oregon as an expression of 'free speech.'

...I think the weather updates will be kind of ironic tho. Considering that to see them you will be standing in the rain.
It would be great for them to get the forecast wrong and be standing in it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:41 AM

ever the charmer.

I think this is a fun addition to the city and will be one more reason for folks to spend time in the square, even if it turns out to be just a short-term novelty.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Remember kids, public nudity is legal in Oregon as an expression of 'free speech.'

ding ding! I could easly see drunk people or just some jack ass flashing the camera. The whole window thing, while cool just seems like a thing that could end poorly.

Anybody know how much of a delay KGW opperates on?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:04 PM

I guarantee they'll have some sort of security or police there when they have broadcasts. They'd be crazy not to with the kind of people that hang out in that area.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:19 PM

"the kind of people that hand out in that area"??? What does that mean? The guys who play chess, or the hackysack crowd or maybe the shoppers, or bums or business people, or students? Count me in with "those kind of people".

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:22 PM

^^^Nope, mainly the just the punk-ass teens and 20-somethings who hang out in that area and act like idiots. The people you mentioned are totally fine.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
I guarantee they'll have some sort of security or police there when they have broadcasts. They'd be crazy not to with the kind of people that hang out in that area.
One would hope so.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 11:35 PM

people exposing themselves to the camera won't be a issue. The glass will be to the side of the anchor's desk not behind it. they will probably only show people when heading into a commercial break.

what we need to worry about is rogue cars lol....
anyone seen this video of a car crashing into a ground level tv studio during a live news broadcast, its worth a quick laugh: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SZqng1s2v9E&feature=related

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 3:29 AM

You know... the Today show and several other news shows in New York broadcast from ground level studios with people who just walk by and are not policed to be let in and they never have this problem. Guaranteed that New York has many many many more crazies than here in Portland. I think it will be fine and I'm glad they are bringing some life back to the square that is not just during festivals and stuff.

I am also one of "those people" and I am also a "20 something" and I don't act like an idiot. But, I will give you the fact that I do not hang out with many 20 somethings because many of them do act like idiots. The downtown snob part of me also likes to think that many of those idiots are coming into downtown from the suburbs... but I digress.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
The downtown snob part of me also likes to think that many of those idiots are coming into downtown from the suburbs... but I digress.
AInt dat da truth! I can tell you from first hand experience of kids thinking its cool to act like a fool downtown or even pretend to be a bum!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:55 AM

Live from the Square
KGW move lets pedestrians see morning news
Portland Business Journal - by Maureen McGrain Business Journal staff writer

When KGW moves some of its live broadcasts to Pioneer Courthouse Square this summer, passers-by will get an up-close look at televised newscasts through floor-to-ceiling windows.

KGW-TV, the region's top-rated station, announced plans last week to open a news studio in the space that's been empty since Powell's Travel Books vacated it three years ago.

Like New York City's Rockefeller Center where fans wave to the cameras of NBC's "Today" show, pedestrians at Pioneer Square will be able to look into the same cameras and read from the teleprompters along with morning news anchors Brenda Braxton and Russ Lewis.

KGW hopes to be up and running in time for Olympics coverage.

"It lends so much tangibility and interaction," said KGW President and General Manager DJ Wilson.

The move is a coup for both the news group and Pioneer Courthouse Square Inc., the nonprofit that manages the city-owned park.

The roughly 2,000-square-foot subterranean real estate with little window space has been a hard sell to potential retail tenants. Plus, Square officials didn't want to let just anyone -- including a fast-food chain awhile back -- into what's known as Portland's Living Room.

The five-year lease, valued at $22.56 per square foot, includes an option for in-kind donations such as media and technology upgrades, which could mean free marketing of the Square's more than 300 annual events.

"There's a long list of hard costs that we can wipe away, so we can reinvest our dollars," said Jennifer Polver, executive director of Pioneer Courthouse Square. "Promotion is a big part of our budget."

At the same time, KGW will increase its visibility. Literally.

Plans are under way to remove some of the brick stairs alongside the street-level entrance to make room for more floor-to-ceiling windows. Windows inside the visitor's center will give pedestrians another vantage point to see the news-gathering process.

Outfitting the studio will cost KGW more than $1 million, said Wilson. It will be equipped for high-definition broadcasts.

KGW wants to use extra window space to promote its various news outlets, including KGW.com and Northwest Cable News, by offering round-the-clock coverage to the public via flat-panel TVs.

The studio on the Square will host the station's sunrise weekday broadcasts, from 4:30 a.m. to 7 a.m., and also its hour-long noon newscast daily. KGW will likely use the studio for special programming as well.

All other broadcasts will continue at KGW's nearby headquarters and main studio, located on 15th Avenue and Jefferson Street. The Portland Business Journal is a news-gathering partner of KGW.

Pioneer Courthouse Square is doing its share of traditional tenant improvements to ready the space, to the tune of $650,000. The corner hasn't been improved since 1984 and requires an upgrade of the mechanical and electrical systems. The Square is also replacing the HVAC system for all the below-ground tenants, which include Travel Oregon and TriMet.

Those dollars come out of the nonprofit's $2.3 million budget, composed of cash and in-kind donations.

The move is generating excitement all around.

"It's a smart, smart move," said Katie Walther, owner of Sherwood-based Run Spot Run Inc., a media buying firm. "DJ Wilson is so community-minded. It puts [KGW] right in the heart of it all."

City Commissioner Dan Saltzman, who is in charge of the Portland Parks & Recreation Department, has been concerned about the vacant spot at the Square for some time. KGW is a "great match," said staff liaison Matthew Grumm.

The Square estimates it has roughly 7.7 million visitors a year.

mmcgrain@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3420
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...es/2008/02/11/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:23 PM

Park ideas presented

An open house on possible designs for the neighborhood park in the growing South Waterfront urban renewal area is set for 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. March 11 in Rooms 1A and 1B on the third floor of the OHSU Center for Health and Healing, 3303 S.W. Moody Ave.

A presentation by Portland Parks & Recreation officials on the current possibilities begins at 6 p.m.

The park is intended to provide a place for area residents, workers and the public to enjoy recreational and social activities in the neighborhood dominated by high-rise residential towers. It will be built on a block bounded by Southwest Moody and Bond avenues and Curry and Gaines streets.

The OHSU center can be reached by the aerial tram and the streetcar. Limited paid parking is available on neighborhood streets and in the center’s underground parking, accessed by Southwest Whitaker Street.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...58229270919100

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:59 PM

Park users want to lounge, poll says

South Waterfront residents are pretty clear about what they want in their neighborhood park, which now consists of two flat city blocks with grass. Places for relaxing, picnicking, reading and sunbathing easily prevailed over facilities for organized sports.

Flexible space for a farmers market and music and arts festivals also ranked high in the Portland Bureau of Parks & Recreation poll. The bureau will show preliminary designs at a neighborhood meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the OHSU Center for Health and Healing, 3303 S.W. Bond Ave.

FRED LEESON
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...690.xml&coll=7

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 2:44 AM

there are renderings and a model of the park in the umpqua bank at the base of the john ross

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues