HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 6:48 PM

Work on the 1000-car parkade at the Health Science has started.
The 11 Tiffany Lane project is still on-the-go with a Jan 20th public meeting for the 2 x 6-storey personal care home.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:00 PM

Not sure if this would be the right thread to post it, but I noticed driving downtown today that former restaurant across from the Delta, Humphrey's, has been torn down.

It had been for sale for quite a while.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceChafe View Post
Not sure if this would be the right thread to post it, but I noticed driving downtown today that former restaurant across from the Delta, Humphrey's, has been torn down.

It had been for sale for quite a while.
Came here for this. Yes! Surprised I never heard tell.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevan View Post
Came here for this. Yes! Surprised I never heard tell.
Allnewfoundlandlabrador.com had a story about it. Owned by buddy who owns Subaru.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:25 PM

There hasn't been much here about the proposed assisted living complex that was proposed by KMK for the Baird property on New Cove Road / Portugal Cover Road. I see that Council has given in to the NIMBY's and sent the developer back to the drawing board to come up with something other than two "high rise" 6 story buildings.

Who wants to bet that the next proposal doesn't include the demolition of the old home on the site in order to "make the numbers" work.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
There hasn't been much here about the proposed assisted living complex that was proposed by KMK for the Baird property on New Cove Road / Portugal Cover Road. I see that Council has given in to the NIMBY's and sent the developer back to the drawing board to come up with something other than two "high rise" 6 story buildings.

Who wants to bet that the next proposal doesn't include the demolition of the old home on the site in order to "make the numbers" work.

I was surprised the rejection was unanimous. Not getting along there at all I guess.

Whatever happened with the project they had for that vacant lot just down the street from there?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 1:25 PM

Pedestrian Mall: 2021

The City's document on what was gathered during the public engagement process is here:

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...5b2aa8f82fc5da

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:12 PM

Waterford Hospital Site Inundated with Water

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:28 PM

Heritage By-Law

The new Heritage By-Law draft is here:

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...e676e824a6c209

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:09 PM

Pouch Cove council sides with neighbours, rejects proposed apartment project

The Telegram
April 15, 2021
Author: Rosie Mullaley

Nimbies out in full force! LOL. Of course, I don't know the complete picture... but it does seem like the very vocal minority driving decisions again. Sound familiar?

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...roject-576635/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Work on the 1000-car parkade at the Health Science has started.
The 11 Tiffany Lane project is still on-the-go with a Jan 20th public meeting for the 2 x 6-storey personal care home.
Here's an update on the progress of the HSC Parkade. Looks like a copy
of the Av Mall Parkade.
Photo Credit: Youtuber Bando Walker using a 4K DJI Pocket 2 camera.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:50 PM

Hopefully it'll be easier to navigate than the mall parkade. The turns when going up/down levels are way too tight with that one.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:18 PM

Eric Street Residents Upset Following Rezoning of Green Space for Development

https://vocm.com/2021/05/04/eric-street-development/

Quote:
Area residents are upset that city council has given the green light for three Habitat for Humanity duplexes on a green space in the capital city. The residents of Eric Street are expressing frustration that their concerns about the development had not been heard.

Christina Steele-Nash says some residents have already expressed plans to move out of the capital city altogether. She says a core group of ten “highly engaged” board members worked two and a half years to try to save the greenspace.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 5:12 PM

CBC Here and Now did a story Wed and Thur about the old Grace Hospital nurses' residence and what can/should be done about it. It is still under the control of the Provincial Gov but of course they aren't going to do anything about it right now and no private developers have shown any interest.
What are your ideas??

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 7:58 PM

Obviously it'd be a good spot for some higher density apartment buildings. I believe the province had the idea of building a new provincial court building there, which to be honest would be a waste of the space.

Here's something a little outside the box: what about a library? A large, downtown library is one of the most obvious things missing from the city.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:16 PM

"Heritage Draft By-Law Proposed by City Being Hurried Through says Committee"

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 10:28 PM

Here's a short video of the BMO 323 Water St. construction. Images are from the NTV George St. Cam, which isn't always
available causing gaps. So, it's a work in progress. Currently the movie runs about 5 minutes, but you can adjust the playback
speed in the viewer.

https://youtu.be/FcA56BTZ2Xw?dl=0

Last edited by rthomasd; Aug 1, 2021 at 9:12 PM. Reason: changed link to youtube

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 3:46 PM

Mary browns centre?

Mary Brown's have bought the naming rights to Mile One Centre. They will be changing the name accordingly in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:55 PM

Here's another time-lapse video of the BMO 321 Water Street construction. It covers construction from Mid May through Mid-Oct 2021. Some days there's no images due to weather etc. I'm using an image duration of 0.2 seconds so the video is fast, you can use the Youtube playback features to slow it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMNSHr5y88k

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 5:49 AM

the melindy maglev system

i was out to the goulds last week for my sons hockey game and there was lots of chatter of the growlers about growlers captain james melindy looking to build an underground railway system similar to a subway that would connect the goulds sporting complex to downtown st johns specifically the george street area. Now. i do not know how in the name of pete james melindy plans to dig a tunnel approximately 15km in length and 50 feet deep but i wont question the guy who brought home the kelly cup in the first season of the growlers. With a fine paycheck of what is rumoured to be 3 million dollars a year from the growlers alone he should have no issue finding funds for this as i did the math myself and a project of this magnitude would only cost around 5 million dollars maglev train and everything. that is correct melindy plans to expand the maglev train system from japan and china to the island with speeds around 250km/h your looking at getting to the goulds from downtown in 14 seconds thats what id like to call a spin. anyway we'll just have to see where this project goes over the next few months but I am in full support of it. wont need danny for this one

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's