HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:50 PM

Yeah, Moore is being obtuse. While I don't have a big issue with the renaming, using this as some kind of restorative justice is patronizing.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:31 PM
The City

^ Here is how a so-called elected leader behaves after the vote on the name change is delayed. From Crains:

Quote:
After today's delay, Moore promised to hold up all council business until the DuSable name change is approved.

“I will do everything to disrupt . . . every item," Moore said.

As the City Clerk then listed off new legislation to be introduced, Moore called out different committee names, dooming more than a dozen new pieces of legislation to the Rules Committee to be re-referred at a later date. Moore has said he faced pushback from the Lightfoot administration on the Lake Shore Drive change.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 9:25 PM
1st Ward

Wonderful. Lets throw a tantrum whenever we don't get what we want. Children....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Can't they just call it Dusable Lake Shore Drive or some stupid thing like that?
I would be fine with this, but I guess the idiots in city council want LSD completely removed. Asinine. This will hurt the city's branding and marketability. How does this help anyone within city limits? This does nothing to improve QOL on the south or west sides.

Doesn't the city have much bigger problems to tackle? This is simply cheap vote buying. (Well, cheap for the alderman that is. It will cost city residents $2.5 million to replace signage)

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Wonderful. Lets throw a tantrum whenever we don't get what we want. Children....

I would be fine with this, but I guess the idiots in city council want LSD completely removed. Asinine. This will hurt the city's branding and marketability. How does this help anyone within city limits? This does nothing to improve QOL on the south or west sides.

Doesn't the city have much bigger problems to tackle? This is simply cheap vote buying. (Well, cheap for the alderman that is. It will cost city residents $2.5 million to replace signage)
Exactly, and we pay 50 of these fools to do this? What a catastrophic waste of tax money.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 10:50 PM

Interesting to pursue the woke purists by naming LSD after a colonizer like Dusable... oh well, like Steely said it will always be Lake Shore Drive.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 11:49 PM

Politicians are the worst sometimes. They'll do anything at times for a vote instead of the right thing. So we really think alderman give a shit that some tower is 465 feet vs. 325 feet? They are just giving into a select few people to get votes next time around.

It's all bullshit. Just imagine where various places would be without politicians pandering to everything.

As for lake shore drive...it'll always be named that no matter what the official name is.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 11:54 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Such a bullshit move. ALL of it. Glad that Lori is trying hard to stop this.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:54 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Exactly, and we pay 50 of these fools to do this? What a catastrophic waste of tax money.
Yup. Absolutely wasteful. As I mentioned in a post in this thread a few weeks ago, LA has 15 alderman (1 per 265,000 people), NYC has 51 (1 per 165,000). Philly has 5 (1 per 300,000). At 50 alderman, Chicago has one alderman per 54,000 people. We can easily halve that number and *still* have much more representation than those cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Such a bullshit move. ALL of it. Glad that Lori is trying hard to stop this.
If she successfully blocks this, I just might vote for her reelection. Or, at the very least, I would not be openly hostile to her getting reelected, lol

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:37 AM

There's been constant talk about renaming Columbus Drive. If they're ever going to do it, renaming it DuSable Drive would seem like a good option.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
There's been constant talk about renaming Columbus Drive. If they're ever going to do it, renaming it DuSable Drive would seem like a good option.
Oooh. . . that would be a good idea actually. . . kill two birds with one stone. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:19 PM

Rename the Riverwalk after him, Michigan ave bridge already is and that way you could tie it to the new park named after him. Maybe even put some historical plaques on the path about him. And or rename Columbus drive... No point in renaming LSD.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 7:52 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
This has my vote

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Interesting to pursue the woke purists by naming LSD after a colonizer like Dusable... oh well, like Steely said it will always be Lake Shore Drive.
Lol such a salient point. People will not shut the fuck up about racism and slavery, but how often do we actually talk about what is possibly the deepest, darkest, original sin of this nation? The extermination and assimilation of the native people's.

Honestly I don't go around bragging like I'm some kind of Elizabeth Warren impersonator, but my own family tree typifies the horror of the native holocaust. My furthest back branch of the family tree isn't any of various European immigrant ancestors fleeing genocide at the hands of the British (Irish) or Russians (Polish) or Prussians fleeing oppression of the Austrian empire, it's French fur traders who immigrated to Quebec in the late 1600's and then intermarried with the Native American population as they made their way up the St Lawrence seaway.

Eventually they settled in Fond Du Lac, WI (fun fact, this is French for "bottom of the lake" which is where on the shores of Winnebago it is located) and changed their names from Lajeunesse (French for "the younger") to Jung (German for Young) because the French name was a dead giveaway that you were Indian blood.

Whatever Natives were not outright killed in the plauges brought over from Europe or slaughtered by actual armed conflict, were assimilated and melded into the population in this way. No one talks about it, no one talks about the entire sections of this country that are basically open air prisons for those who refused to assimilate. No one talks about how ALL the people's brought in from overseas are essentially an invasive species that destroyed possibly the last bit of the world truly in a "natural state". No one talks about the complexity of having French, Hatians, other Europeans, etc all melting together into the ancestry of this country.

It's all about visual race (skin color) because that's what's easy for politicians to market themselves on. Just look at Lightfoot's own stupidity about not being interviewed by "whites".

It honestly drives me nuts because I don't identify as "white" or European just because I have an Irish last name. I'm actually 1/8 "Jung" a/k/a Lajeunesse, I'm no more than 1/16th Irish. I don't even look all that "White" if you actually look closely. I have olive skin that turns darker than many of my Hispanic friends in the summer, I have (and now my son does, which is super cute) almond eyes. I actually have a fair amount of "native" features, but because my Mom escaped the redneck life that my grandpa lived and became the first person in her entire family to go to college, none of my complex family origins matter.

It just goes to show the people don't actually care ethnic origins, they just associate education, privledge, and how you speak with "whiteness" which I would argue is a big contributor to the issues we face to begin with. If you are an "articulate black man" like Obama, then you get a pass, but show any signs of educational, economic, or racial diversity and you are fighting an uphill battle.

Again, I am not pulling an Elizabeth Warren here, merely pointing out that the story of this country is far more complex than "black people were slaves". Much of the political jibber jabber is designed to divide Americans, not unify them. Far more relevant to my own privledge and position in life than the fact that my grandpa was a hard drinking, rough and tumble redneck with ancestors going back over 300 years (and thousands if you follow the Indian lines that we have no way of ever tracing) is what my parents did with their lives. It only takes a generation or two to truly move up in American society, but we choose to separate ourselves and deny access to that birthright based on skin color or how people talk. I'm so disgusted and sick of it, the rhetoric lately has not been helping, again instead of uniting our society, everyone, both left and right, wants tribalism. It starts with individual racists and goes right up from stupid local politicians like this alderman who don't actually want to fix anything, but rather get cheap political points by renaming roads, and goes all the way up to the office of the president.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 4:55 PM

So Chicago takes a lot of shit for our weather as we know.
but consider that todays high in Phoenix is 118 and it will be in the 100 & teens for the next 10 days. Las Vegas is the same with 110+ for the next ten days. Tell me that is livable.
Meanwhile the entire west and southwest is in an epic drought. Experts no longer consider it an anomaly and are woke that this is the new reality. The hoover dam water level is at 1070' is losing 6ft of depth every month and is 110' (950ft) from where it will no longer produce electricity.
The western drought is of biblical proportions and residents, businesses, farmers, governments will be forced into draconian water reduction mandates and rationing.

Meanwhile Phoenix, Tempe and Vegas are the poster childs for single family home sprawl.

When and how will this end? And why would any sane, intelligent company locate there?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 9:28 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Yeah the South or Southwest don't get to shit on us for weather--you can always put on a coat and go outside in the winter, but there's no way to comfortably go outside in the summer there.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 11:40 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
but consider that todays high in Phoenix is 118 and it will be in the 100 & teens for the next 10 days. Las Vegas is the same with 110+ for the next ten days. Tell me that is livable.
Meanwhile the entire west and southwest is in an epic drought. Experts no longer consider it an anomaly and are woke that this is the new reality. The hoover dam water level is at 1070' is losing 6ft of depth every month and is 110' (950ft) from where it will no longer produce electricity.
The western drought is of biblical proportions and residents, businesses, farmers, governments will be forced into draconian water reduction mandates and rationing.

Meanwhile Phoenix, Tempe and Vegas are the poster childs for single family home sprawl.

When and how will this end? And why would any sane, intelligent company locate there?
As you said, this is the new reality and it will only get worse from here as the planet continues to heat up. Considering Chicago's mild climate and its location on the shores of 20% of the world's liquid fresh water, I'd say we are looking better and better with every passing year/decade.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 2:22 AM

I was riding my bike up the river park/bike trail today, starting at around Argyle and the river going north. Beautiful park and very nice neighborhoods too btw. I got off at Bryn Mawr ave and on that street I was east of Northeastern Illinois Univ and west of the river. That was the most vacant business district street in terms of businesses. It seemed to be mostly vacant Korean businesses. I'm guessing this was once a Korean area after Lawrence declined as one? I did go into a really nice independent, and it is independent certainly, coffee shop. What I don't get is that this area hasn't been Korean in a couple of decades(?) and the neighborhoods are nice all around that street. So why is it so vacant?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 11:53 AM

Yes, the whole section of Chicago from about the Edens to the river between Peterson and Montrose was heavily Korean, they have largely high tailed it for the suburbs as their lot in life improved.you see it all up and down Lawrence and Montrose too.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post

I’m currently in Seattle and it was chilly yesterday and last night. Last time I was in San Francisco, I needed a hat and gloves for a concert in Golden Gate Park in August. Chicago gets a weird amount of attention for being cold in winter.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 1:37 PM
The City

We are having great weather right now, although we are having a pretty bad drought ourselves

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest