HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 2:25 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
That Hamilton insecurity is showing again. Not a good look. The fact that you think diversifying our economy equates to stealing another city's personality is hilarious and shallow. This "we don't need help from anyone, and we can do it all by ourselves" attitude is so detrimental to the overall health of the city. On the bright side I have moved, it's nice not having to get up at 5:30 every morning to go to work. I don't really post on this forum a lot anymore anyways because it's become so unfocused, unmoderated and lacking in basic and accurate information it should be renamed SpeculationPage.

If there's one thing I've learned from moving, it's that people won't be happy for you because you're doing something good for yourself; they'll more than likely take it as some personal slight against the city. I don't have time for that ish.
Have fun in toronto.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
That Hamilton insecurity is showing again. Not a good look. The fact that you think diversifying our economy equates to stealing another city's personality is hilarious and shallow. This "we don't need help from anyone, and we can do it all by ourselves" attitude is so detrimental to the overall health of the city. On the bright side I have moved, it's nice not having to get up at 5:30 every morning to go to work. I don't really post on this forum a lot anymore anyways because it's become so unfocused, unmoderated and lacking in basic and accurate information it should be renamed SpeculationPage.

If there's one thing I've learned from moving, it's that people won't be happy for you because you're doing something good for yourself; they'll more than likely take it as some personal slight against the city. I don't have time for that ish.
Give me a break. No one cares you moved (other than sales reps knowing you won’t be able to accost them ) And God forbid posters give insight to how they feel a development should progress or not. It’s not like we are privy to official site plans and such.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:56 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
You've made a choice that makes sense for your life and needs. I think that's good and hope you enjoy your new environs. You've posted a lot of great things here though, so I hope you'll continue even if just from time to time.

The contributions of just about everyone here have been welcome to me, minor tiffs aside. And I think the Hamilton section is generally much more civil than others I've peered into.

Here endeth my Kumbaya moment of the day

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Not a chance that anything even remotely considered historic is going to get demolished in the gore park core, esp. not that building, esp. not after the debacle with wanting to demolish the buildings just a block over that got destroyed. Old Bank buildings are architectural gold. Keep the facade and build on top of it....
Oh reallly? Do you have actual evidence to back this up? Hamilton has a specialty called "demolition by neglect". I see zero evidence that the historic buildings on the south side of Gore Park, notably the ones owned by Blanchard, are being saved and revitalized. Do you?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:50 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Oh reallly? Do you have actual evidence to back this up? Hamilton has a specialty called "demolition by neglect". I see zero evidence that the historic buildings on the south side of Gore Park, notably the ones owned by Blanchard, are being saved and revitalized. Do you?
I do actually. The group "Save the gore" succeeded in in fighting for and convincing the city to save the facades of 18-22 king st

http://www.heritagewatchhamilton.ca/save-the-gore/

Hughson businesses also stated they will preserve the facades of 24-28 king st as well

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...park-1.4423560

These were all originally slated for FULL demolition. And now they're not.

might want to dial back that accusatory tone. This isn't the hamilton of the 1980s, there is a lot more focus on saving these buildings in this day and age.

"In a statement, the company says preserving the facades is a "win-win for interested stakeholders" while also "respecting the wishes of the local heritage community." - you're going to be seeing a lot more of this type of stuff going forward. Also anyone correct me if I am wrong, but I think they actually passed something where if you are going to build on a heritage sight, you now MUST include the heritage features in the facade. Maybe that was just for pre-confederation buildings, or maybe I just heard that somewhere and it's not true. Either way it would be a great feature, if that facade is heritage protected. Worked great for the william thomas building.

Keep in mind for many of these buildings its the facades that are important - much of the interiors have fallen apart due to neglect, like the william thomas building and the building that imploded on king william st. I personally am not so heartbroken if the interiors are demolished if it means the exterior facades remain intact, because for half the buildings in the city, the upper floors have been boarded up for so long that nobody has even SEEN them. Esp. Concerning these specific buildings. There are also issues of bringing things up to code etc.

Mind you on the flip side the destruction and demolition of canadas 2 biggest opera houses was imo one of the biggest architectural atrocities to happen in this city - and for what? PARKING SPACE? That's just sad.

Last edited by Chronamut; Mar 5, 2019 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 2:37 PM

I read the CBC article, and you're cherry-picking a wee bit

I'll do the same. You made my point: "much of the interiors have fallen apart due to neglect".

Has construction started up in any of the buildings with the rescued facades? I haven't noticed any, but maybe I should take a closer look.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:55 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
I read the CBC article, and you're cherry-picking a wee bit

I'll do the same. You made my point: "much of the interiors have fallen apart due to neglect".

Has construction started up in any of the buildings with the rescued facades? I haven't noticed any, but maybe I should take a closer look.
Ehh one of them has had scaffolding in front of it for quite some time now - and who knows if the interiors are being worked on - so nothing as of note for now.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:53 AM
Forever forward.

demolition is imminent, hallelujah:

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:56 AM

Great news!

And love the port-o-potty.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:48 AM

This one really excites me!!!! What a horrible eye sore in gore park

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:32 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
This one really excites me!!!! What a horrible eye sore in gore park
I'd have to agree - the flaking paint on it always got me and its got that horrible heavy 80s look to it. Esp. considering what they demolished to build this.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:30 AM
Forever forward.

Sorry for the delay in posting these pictures - they're from Wednesday - my USB to SD reader has broken so getting pictures from my camera to my desktop is cumbersome since I have to use an older laptop with a built-in SD reader to move them to a USB.

Not much to see on the outside, but you can see they're gutting the interior now that they've boarded up the windows from the inside, and the backside of the building (facing Main St) has a hole for removal of interior rubble.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 5:12 AM
Hamilton Historian

Aaaand the taggers swoop in quick to claim the condemned building.

So long, and good riddance to this blight of a building.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:44 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
From the twitter account of Joey Coleman

New planning file for discussion. Effort Trust proposing demo and new building at 46-50 King East.

This is the old Canada Trust building south side of King at Hughson.

Does anyone have the current render? This one is from 2015 I believe.

Anything is better than the current eyesore that is there now but if this render still holds up with that height of only 5 stories this is really a missed opportunity... I would be ok with that office in the render acting as the podium with ground floor retail but a condo needs to be rising out of the top of that at this prominent location in the Gore! We need people living here as many as we cram down here, why only a 5 floor office at this location it makes zero sense???

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 6:00 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Does anyone have the current render? This one is from 2015 I believe.

Anything is better than the current eyesore that is there now but if this render still holds up with that height of only 5 stories this is really a missed opportunity... I would be ok with that office in the render acting as the podium with ground floor retail but a condo needs to be rising out of the top of that at this prominent location in the Gore! We need people living here as many as we cram down here, why only a 5 floor office at this location it makes zero sense???
I guess because the people who are building there don't want to, or perhaps can't afford to - you have to understand that every new development isn't going to be a giant skyscraper, that's just not.. how design works. That and the city seems to be very averse to creating "canyon" streets - you'll notice in this area there is always a skyscraper on one side of the street but not on the other.

We are not going to go around discouraging development simply because it's not high enough.

(of course the city seems to have no problem discouraging development that's TOO high for their liking..)

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 6:34 PM
Forever forward.

I'm pretty happy with the proposal. If built to that render, with nice curtain wall (which we don't get often enough), it will certainly be a great addition to the downtown.

Also, if you went any taller there would be shadowing issues over Gore Park and probably would've been shrunk back down to this height anyway. The other side of King can get away with more height because it's not shading a park.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 3:30 AM
Ham-burgher

I don't mind if they build to that render... though I could see this working well at 8-10 storeys too.

Shadow issues would more likely be the bane of any tower proposed on the south side between James and Hughson. Not that I expect Wilson Blanchard to do much proposing anytime soon.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 1:09 PM

Looks shiny, and should keep the window washers busy.

Stands level with the Sopinka courthouse to the east and neatly hip-height to the HSBC tower one door west.

The relatively modest scale may have to do with the fact that this will be Effort Trust’s head offices. (This will presumably free up the property at Main and Spring for redevelopment.) They only need so much space, and as property managers, I imagine they would have a good sense of latent demand for new office space. Plus, they’re historically pretty risk-averse, so they can expected to place conservative bets.

Does anyone know what the last building Effort Trust looks like? Was it Main & Spring? Effort Square was built in 1966, but I’m not sure if Effort Trust had a hand in building it (it was originally Terminal Towers, after the nearby bus depot) or simply purchased it later.

Last edited by thistleclub; May 12, 2019 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 1:26 PM

What window washers? Hamilton buildings don't wash the windows.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
What window washers? Hamilton buildings don't wash the windows.
Effort Trust manages the Commerce Place towers at King & James, and window washers are up there regularly during warmer months.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton