HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:16 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Nice. If McMaster didn't buy the School Board land Darko was going to buy the land and erect two Hotels, one was going to be a Westin. So you aren't that far off lol.

Westin is part of Starwood Hotels, which also includes Sheraton.

I do like the tower, looks great. One thing missing is an observation deck, Landmark was suppose to have one. Imagine the view, see Toronto, the mist from Niagara Falls, the Escarpment, etc.
So Mac owns that parking lot? If so what would they do with it? More parking? Seems like a waste. A hotel is really needed there. The rendering I made is slightly off in scale. The entrance level is too short looking. I'll spend more time in cinema and Photoshop to make it more to scale today. And add an observation desk.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yes, Mac owns the land now. They proposed twin condo towers as phase 2...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=204151

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the905sDW View Post
So Mac owns that parking lot? If so what would they do with it? More parking? Seems like a waste. A hotel is really needed there. The rendering I made is slightly off in scale. The entrance level is too short looking. I'll spend more time in cinema and Photoshop to make it more to scale today. And add an observation desk.
Quote:
Yes, Mac owns the land now. They proposed twin condo towers as phase 2...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=204151
^ That is why I made my condo design this size. It is the exact size and shape of what is going to be built, just with materials I chose because official renderings haven't been released:

Source: My Photo

The plan I followed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
- Located on the south-east corner of King Street West and Bay Street
- Two 12 storey residential towers (each w/12,000sf footprint)
- 1 storey 40,000sf retail podium
- This will be the second phase of the McMaster Health Campus development

Source

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

One spot where a hotel was proposed was Main and Caroline, across from the old Federal Building. Former HMP used car lot, behind BMO. It was slated to be an Intercontinental Hotel. But the partnership fell apart.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
One spot where a hotel was proposed was Main and Caroline, across from the old Federal Building. Former HMP used car lot, behind BMO. It was slated to be an Intercontinental Hotel. But the partnership fell apart.

The owner of that lot is planning to build something, possibly condos, if Darko's project across the street goes well.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:45 PM
Dustin William

Perhaps I'll have to retching my hotel location! Thomas' condos are more realistic with the proposed site plan.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I've been working on my design for the King and Bay Condos. I still have to add a lot more and the materials used might change, but here is what I have so far:

Just for fun, I went completely against the official plans for King & Bay and I made a quick edit of what I already have designed for the site. I added some height:

2 x 12 floors becomes 17 & 29 floors...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 6:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

The taller tower is the latest architectural trend, have certain floors off side from the main building.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 7:49 PM

Very roughly edited onto the site:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 9:04 PM
Dustin William

Thomas, these look awesome! I like the staggered heights and glass only portions. I like height!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Thomas, these look awesome! I like the staggered heights and glass only portions. I like height!
Thanks

And I gotta agree, I like height too I wish that they would raise the height of the official project from 2 12-floor buildings to something taller. It is such a good corner for something tall.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 1:18 AM
Dustin William

Quote:
Thanks

And I gotta agree, I like height too I wish that they would raise the height of the official project from 2 12-floor buildings to something taller. It is such a good corner for something tall.
Oh for sure - landmark Place is not a nice looking building - it shouldn't be out tallest.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Oh for sure - landmark Place is not a nice looking building - it shouldn't be out tallest.
I love the design of Landmark Place, but it needs a serious refresh and it has been the tallest for a bit too long now. It'd be really cool if they replaced the plain concrete walls with the same glossy white material that was used to re-clad First Canadian Place in Toronto. Add in some lights shining up at the blank walls at night, and tinted windows so you can't see everyone's mismatched curtains and Landmark Place could look great, but I would still also like to see something pass it in height.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 1:56 AM
Hammer'd

I think Landmark place is a building that could look amazing with a re-clad. I'm thinking lots of glass for the box part near the top and more steel and concrete for the base. It's got that really ugly, 1970's airport traffic control tower look that pretty much defines Hamilton's skyline. The podium would look really great with more glass and shiny steel versus the stained concrete, rusted steel and dirty windows there now. There's a huge space in the podium that I believe used to be used as a gym. When we get Main Street going as a complete street, it would make an excellent spot for restaurant or book store (I've said the same about the old BMO Pavilion above Jackson Square).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 2:35 AM

Source

Like I said in my post above, Landmark Place should have a similar re-clad to First Canadian Place (Like the picture above)

I edited the photo below to refresh Landmark Place:

1) Landmark Place as it looks today

2) Concrete replaced by the same glossy white material used on First Canadian Place, windows tinted with a darker glossy black, cluttered antennas removed and relocated

3) Same as #2 except the balconies would be replaced with black glass

Source: Original Skyline Shot

Last edited by thomax; Mar 26, 2013 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:15 AM
Dustin William

Quote:

Source

Like I said in my post above, Landmark Place should have a similar re-clad to First Canadian Place (Like the picture above)

I edited the photo below to refresh Landmark Place:

1) Landmark Place as it looks today

2) Concrete replaced by the same glossy white material used on First Canadian Place, windows tinted with a darker glossy black, cluttered antennas removed and relocated to the edge of the escarpment where they are less noticeable

3) Same as #2 except the balconies would be replaced with black glass

]
See its the big black box if windows at the top I never liked too contrasty. It the entire thing was unified as 1 material it would look more sleek and maybe taller. As described above as an old air traffic control tower... that's exactly it. The podium needs an equal rethink as well.
It needs a stripe of a slightly darker glass on the bare concrete wall. That stripe of something different really makes a building look taller... but all white like BMO would be nice... the inset dark corners makes the white portion look like panels... really good look for that pretty boxy tower. Of our taller buildings I think the Olympic is decent looking because of its simplicity from group to roof. Another building is 1 James.... scar phone Hawkins... that's a nice building in my opinion.... but the entire bare side is so odd....BDC has that issue too.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:21 AM
Dustin William

This is 88 Scott.... in my opinion, really stunning. Its a mix of new and old. I with this could be done in Hamilton. Like 1 king west.

dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Another building is 1 James.... scar phone Hawkins... that's a nice building in my opinion.... but the entire bare side is so odd....BDC has that issue too.
The reason those buildings have bare sides is so buildings can be built up right next to them and increase density...that density just hasn't happened yet.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:32 AM
Dustin William

Quote:
The reason those buildings have bare sides is so buildings can be built up right next to them and increase density...that density just hasn't happened yet.
I guess that makes since but the Bank of Nova Scotia next door has been there all along so not sure how that works
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:43 AM

Quote:
I guess that makes since but the Bank of Nova Scotia next door has been there all along so not sure how that works
Wasn't the Bank of Nova Scotia built in the 1950s? I think 1 James was built in the 70s so the Bank of Nova Scotia would have only been around 20 years old and in the eyes of 1970s Hamilton developers it would have had no historical value. They probably thought the bank would just be demolished and replaced with something bigger up against 1 James.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion