HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 3:13 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I'd be shocked if they were higher than AC/DC, but they are extremely successful.
Maybe they mean current earners? Or perhaps they don’t count AC/DC if they live in the States?

According to Google Emma Wiggle alone is worth $12 million dollars.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Maybe they mean current earners? Or perhaps they don’t count AC/DC if they live in the States?

According to Google Emma Wiggle alone is worth $12 million dollars.
https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/who-is-...-biggest-band/

Just one article of many that popped up, but it depends on what exactly you're looking at.

The Wiggles appear to make the most money from a broader offering of entertainment and merch, AC/DC top in album sales seems to be the short of it...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 12:06 PM

The bottom line is that the Wiggles are a big damn deal.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 3:42 PM
Fake News

I think Simon is the richest Wiggle: behold his wife Lauren Hannaford:

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 15, 2021 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 5:32 PM
Fake News

Getting my kitchen faucet replaced on Friday as it had begun to corrode from our hard water. This past year I have also had to replace my hot water heater tank, our main 55" Plasma TV and dishwasher. My home is now 10 years old so I'm praying the laundry or oven doesn't kick it next.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Getting my kitchen faucet replaced on Friday as it had begun to corrode from our hard water. This past year I have also had to replace my hot water heater tank, our main 55" Plasma TV and dishwasher. My home is now 10 years old so I'm praying the laundry or oven doesn't kick it next.
That's home ownership for you. There's always something. I've lived in my house for 4 years and in that time I've had to replace the furnace, water heater, washing machine and a dishwasher that was barely 3 years old (never buy Samsung appliances).

Now I can see the shingles are starting to curl a little bit... a project for next year.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 8:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
yeah that sucks. I have spent thousands on repairs and replacements this year (dishwasher, TV, lawnmower, couple of toilets, and more). Now my pool heater has up and died. The fridge is on its last legs. AC is on the brink, and my furnace is old. Goddamn car too. And my worthless 17-year old cat has eaten up thousands in vet bills.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 9:51 PM
Fake News

Yeah the joys of home ownership. Seems to be the 10 year curse where all manufacturers only have to warranty for 10 years and design it to breakdown after. Planned obsolescence should be illegal, particularly in the fight with Climate Change. Sorry to hear about the cat.

By my tally I've spent around $5000 this year on that shit. Had to get a new car as well and now have to get winters for it which will set me back another $1400.00.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 9:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's home ownership for you. There's always something. I've lived in my house for 4 years and in that time I've had to replace the furnace, water heater, washing machine and a dishwasher that was barely 3 years old (never buy Samsung appliances).

Now I can see the shingles are starting to curl a little bit... a project for next year.
I would never buy a Samsung as I have heard your story over and over again from every person I've known who has owned a Samsung appliance of any kind. Their old LCD TV's are great though. Still have my first one from '08 and it's working fine. As for the shingles, one of the few benefits of living in a townhouse is that my condo board covers that.

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 15, 2021 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah the joys of home ownership. Seems to be the 10 year curse where all manufacturers only have to warranty for 10 years and design it to breakdown after. Planned obsolescence should be illegal, particularly in the fight with Climate Change. Sorry to hear about the cat.

By my tally I've spent around $5000 this year on that shit. Had to get a new car as well and now have to get winters for it which will set me back another $1400.00.
Where do you find 10 year warranties? If you get 10 years from a new fridge, you are doing well. Five years if you are unlucky.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

And only 3 years from a Samsuck fridge. never again...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I would never buy a Samsung as I have heard your story over and over again from every person I've known who has owned a Samsung appliance of any kind. Their old LCD TV's are great though. Still have my first one from '08 and it's working fine. As for the shingles, one of the few benefits of living in a townhouse is that my condo board covers that.
I was also advised Samsung appliances were crap. It's tough these days, I go with Costco because they double the manufacturer warranty. All warranties are short and you're typically SOL when they are over.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
And only 3 years from a Samsuck fridge. never again...
I had a KitchenAid (Whirlpool rebrand) lasted 2 years. Was repaired once after warranty too. Get fooked.

I went with LG next, given the Costco 2x warranty above, and they warranty their "linear compressor" for 7 years.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

My new high-end LG dishwasher, acquired in June, is already making strange squealing noises.
POS

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:41 PM
Fake News

That sucks about your dishwasher. Went with a more expensive Bosch to replace our shitty Whirlpool dishwasher. Have not regretted it. Found out that it’s best to have a dishwasher with a metal inside as the plastic ones such as my old WP tend to split and leak water which is exactly what occurred with ours. I only figured out it was leaking from the back when it began to buckle our walnut floor planks. European products are definitely better designed.

As for the 10 years marker, that has appeared to be the lifespan of many products even if not warrantied that length. My in laws had the exact same Panasonic plasma TV as us and it died right at the 10 year mark shortly before ours bit the dust at the same marker. I called a tv repair place and they outright told me new tv’s aren’t worth fixing. You’re better just buying another one. Have noticed a substantial decrease on energy bills since replacing it though.

Still have my original fridge and stacked laundry units.

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 15, 2021 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 1:43 AM

In my experience most home appliances have short warranties, like a year or two. But there is always some stupid trivial part with zero chance of breaking that will have a 10 year warranty, so then the manufacturers put a decal on the front that says 10 YEAR WARRANTY and then in tiny print it's something like *on dishwasher rack wheels

My Maytag dishwasher (which I will say has performed admirably under very heavy usage over the year and a half) has a decal like that.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 1:52 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In my experience most home appliances have short warranties, like a year or two.
Costco sells a rice cooker for $450 (retail ~$600) - that expensive because it has a lifetime warranty, and also because it has bluetooth.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 1:59 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Costco sells a rice cooker for $450 (retail ~$600) - that expensive because it has a lifetime warranty, and also because it has bluetooth.
"Damn. I bought the wrong rice cooker."

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:16 PM
Fake News

Who needs bluetooth for a rice cooker?

Smart appliances are getting ridiculous. Same with Alexa. The convenience factor seems minimal and the downsides substantial.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:17 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Who needs bluetooth for a rice cooker?
So you can turn it on when you're not in the kitchen/house. I assume it also plays music or something I don't really know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada