HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 8:55 PM

Boston's New Hood - The Seaport

Boston's New Hood - The Seaport

The Seaport in Boston is striking because so much of it is new (built in the last 10-15 years), under construction, or not yet developed. It's also prime waterfront land in a historic city extremely close to Downtown and the Airport. Long a desolate stretch of surface parking, the area has transformed into a major growth center, particularly for labs/offices and hospitality uses. It's home to the headquarters for Vertex and Allexion Pharmaceuticals, Reebok, and General Electric, and Amazon and PriceWaterHouseCoopers have large presences here.

The Seaport exists as it is today largely because of several massive infrastructure investments many years ago. The cleanup of Boston Harbor, which started in the late 1980s and cost billions of dollars, helped transform the waterway from “the dirtiest harbor in America” to an asset that nobody can seem to get enough of today. The 'Big Dig' (at a cost of about $21.5 billion) extended Interstate 90 mostly underground through the neighborhood connecting it directly to the airport across the harbor.

Opinions of the Seaport can be extremely divisive. For some, it's "a spectacular achievement of modern urban planning and the centerpiece of Boston’s new waterfront" (https://www.fanpierboston.com/) while for others it's a soulless playground for the rich ("A brand new Boston even whiter than the old" - Boston Globe ) that is tone deaf in an era of rising sea levels associated with Climate Change ("Boston Built a New Waterfront Just in Time for the Apocalypse" ).

The Seaport lies within the flight paths of Logan Airport, so building heights are limited to approximately 15-20 stories. The aerials below, captured by HelloBostonHi of Archboston, give a sense of how dramatically the area has changed in the last 10 years. These photos were taken in 2020-2021 and capture some of the architecture but also a lot of people-watching.

Seaport Boulevard

The Echelon Development

THE HARBORWALK

The waterfront in the Seaport is anchored by the Harborwalk, which provides continuous public access to the water. It is surrounder by several small but heavily utilized parks. The Harborwalk has proven enormously popular with the public.

The Institute of Contemporary Art - when this building opened in 2006, it was surrounded by surface parking on all sides except the water.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking east toward the Atlantic and the Boston Harbor Islands

The Public Green at Fan Pier

Lookout Terrace at Fan Pier

FORT POINT

There is a historic district even in the Seaport. Known as Fort Point, it includes several turn-of-the-century warehouses clustered near the Channel. This area has gentrified significantly as the area around it has grown. Expat captured it well in a photo thread from 2011 - https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=189392

[IMG][/IMG]

St Regis building under construction

Fan Pier

Pier 4

Many prime lots have been not been developed yet and are currently used for temporary/pop-up uses --

Streetscapes

The Seaport has a rapid transit service that looks a lot like a subway - headhouses and mostly underground stations - but it's actually a bus service dubbed the 'Silver Line.'

As you head east from the Seaport, the landscape changes to mostly warehouses with mostly seafood or maritime uses, though some new lab buildings have already cropped up. It's pretty clear that the life sciences uses that are dominant in the Seaport now are likely to take over this area pretty soon.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by Smuttynose1; Jan 25, 2022 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Fix broken photo links

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 9:51 PM
BANNED

This is a really nice area. I love Boston.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:00 PM

We stayed and dined in the Seaport last time we were in Boston (and went to the ICA). It really is a great neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:36 PM

Great thread, thanks for posting! The Seaport District is awesome. That’s a new, urban city neighborhood done right.

I didn’t get a chance to make it over to the Seaport when I was in Boston a few months back, but hopefully on my return visit.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:06 PM

Wow, very impressive! It reminds me of a more vertical version of San Francisco's Mission Bay/Mission Rock.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:45 PM

Thank you for posting. This area also reminds me of the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard and the Wharf neighborhoods in DC.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 7:01 PM
The City

Wonderful tour, thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 7:54 PM

Looks like a fantastic development

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:00 PM

Wow, great looking area! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 12:13 AM

I was able to see some of this when I was in the area back in September 2019, but certainly didn't see this much. It all looks quite good! Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:44 AM
Community Guy

Amazing transformation!

I was there in 2008 as it was just kicking off and enjoyed it, but it felt disconnected. I am very impressed by how it has developed.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:28 AM
Fourth and Main

Wow! This area has changed a lot since I was last up there. I remember visiting that art museum shortly after it opened, which tells you how long ago that visit was. Thank you for the tour. I enjoyed it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:08 AM

Nice pictures! I'm glad you got the links fixed.

I like that Institute of Contemporary Arts building, especially with the outdoor seating. It reminds me of the opera house in Oslo. I was wondering if they had concerts out on the water or something for people to watch from those steps.

That building to the left of the ICA is also nice, how it leans out towards the water.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:13 PM
Me?!?

Beautiful!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:01 AM
them bones

I stayed in this area in 2007 just after the ICA opened. Wow, what a difference. At that time, walking from the convention center to South Station area was like walking through a de-militarized zone.

Excellent density and public spaces. That curved brick building in Fort Point has always been a favorite.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 11:45 PM

I remember being there some years ago, the entire area was a big construction zone. Will be back soon to check it out!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 12:34 AM

We used to ride our bikes around there when we were little kids. You were cool if you could ride the length of the steel wall at Fan Pier. The MBTA Cops would kick us out after dark. It's a haul from Roseclair street. We were pretty brave for 8 year old's.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 1:17 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Very nice, I was there once before any of this happened, but I think the new and old blend pretty well, it still looks like Boston.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
We used to ride our bikes around there when we were little kids. You were cool if you could ride the length of the steel wall at Fan Pier. The MBTA Cops would kick us out after dark. It's a haul from Roseclair street. We were pretty brave for 8 year old's.
As a suburbs kid with a car, this used to be my go-to parking spot whenever I spent the day in Boston and didn't take the train. $6 for the whole day in 1998. Compared to the $6 an hour the Post Office Square garage charged then, Fan Pier was a steal.

The only real complain most of us Bostonian urban fans have about this whole area is the first round of construction is uninspired boxes of nearly identical height. Nothing can go over 280 feet here, as it's directly in multiple Logan flight paths. We all knew height wasn't an option here, but you can still vary up the forms. We're seeing that now with this latest round of buildings, thankfully.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:30 AM

There was nothing there for 100 years. It was filled in for development. Finally, now development has happened. It was a wasteland. Now it is vibrant and bustling neighborhood. Come on now. The closet my grandma and Aunt Ethel lived in on Clark Street rents for $1600/month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos