HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 5:27 AM

Boxing-Day-in-the-Burbs

It's all about making the GTA, and further testing out my new Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 8-25mm F4 Pro.

- Winston Churchill

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 8:36 PM

Just to be clear, green grass in Ontario at the end of December is definitely another sign that global warming is a hoax....

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 12:19 AM

Fabulous!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 5:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Great, what kind of Olympus camera is it?
I also have an Olympus.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Just to be clear, green grass in Ontario at the end of December is definitely another sign that global warming is a hoax....
Toronto and Canada will make out very well under global warming. I don't know why our federal government is such against it, if anything they should be pro global warming.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 8:26 AM

What is Burbs?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 7:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

epic as usual --

this reminds me of a cold version of driving my mom around daytona when i go down there, which i think is a city entirely made up of strip mall plazas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
What is Burbs?

suburbs

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 10:30 PM

Reminds me of that book "The Geography of Nowhere"

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:45 PM

Yeah, the photos were intended to be gloomy and critical of the built form, but I found myself surprisingly cheerful as I was walking around taking the photos, and cheered up even more as I looking at the photos again and editing them on the computer. After almost 2 years of COVID, it was nice to see crowds of people in front of the stores and at the bus stops and even inside the cars filling the roads. Last time I was able to just walk around and take photos spontaneously and casually for a few hours were my Dundas Street West and my Cooksville Village photos, and those were from February 2020, right before the pandemic.

I tried to continue the series on the east-west Toronto downtown corridors with a thread for College Street, but when I got there in the summer of 2020, it was so depressing, my heart just wasn't into it. I got this new lens a few months ago, but it has still been hard to get excited and pick up the camera and just walk around and enjoy the city and photography, just it has been for the past two years now. So even if these photos were originally meant to be bad, I hope you guys can see some good in them too, like the people walking around and the crowds waiting for the approaching buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Great, what kind of Olympus camera is it?
I also have an Olympus.
The body is Olympus E-M1 Mark II. It is a higher-end body that is weather-sealed with a proper grip for the bigger Olympus lenses (the other lens I have, the one bought with the body, is 12-100mm F4 Pro). It was my first new camera in almost 15 years, I actually bought it on Boxing Day in 2019 because I was planning a trip to visit relatives in Vietnam, so I needed weather-sealing, more storage, and better video, but unfortunately COVID cancelled those plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
What is Burbs?
Heartland Town Centre, a power centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. During the process of editing these photos, I was listening to "Boyz-in-the-Hood", both the original Eazy-E version and the Dynamite Hack cover I grew up with, so I thought this would be a fitting tribute. But, of course, "hood" would not have been appropriate since this is mostly an industrial area, not many houses around, so I had to settle for the more-generic "burbs" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
epic as usual --

this reminds me of a cold version of driving my mom around daytona when i go down there, which i think is a city entirely made up of strip mall plazas.
Thank you as usual, mrnyc.

Daytona Beach seems interesting, with all the retail lining lining the major roads, instead of clustered at particular corners of particular intersections. That is potential for redevelopment and increasing density and building TOD if they ever decide to invest in buses and rail along those major roads.

The major roads here in Mississauga and the rest of the GTA since the 80s are not lined with retail like that anymore. The major roads are mostly lined with residential now, so the redevelopment potential is very small, even if the investment in transit is very high.

- Winston Churchill

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 9:12 PM

These look like stills from an Arcade Fire video. Bleak, depressing.

Oh, well, time to shop at Shoe Rack and Melanie Lyne.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:26 AM

Viewing all these blurred autos while scrolling really makes it seem like a world of movement.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos