HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 9:48 PM

i noticed orsini I wasnt on the list. is it because its been completed for a couple of years?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 10:05 PM

^Yes.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2005, 12:57 AM

Your thoughts on the SRO conversion moratorium?

What are your thoughts and opinions about the city's proposed moratorium on converting the SRO hotels to "luxury" lofts and apartments?

I tend to agree with Ms. Bartolo from Kor Group that the city needs to find a nearby, more affordable locale to relocate the SRO residents. Many of these SRO buildings have "good bones" and some very redeemable architectural features, both inside and out. But developers aren't going to do the necessary multi-million dollar rehabs if it doesn't pencil out on the back end, and that generally means pricier condos, lofts, apartments and upscale hotels.

I would suggest that the city prepare and propose its housing preservation and ordinance first, before imposing any kind of building moratorium. The SRO hotel owners and developers are moving forward with the understanding that their properties can be converted to their highest and best use, which they have every right to do. Therefor, any moratoriums and restriction of those property rights should be imposed only after prior public discussions and adequate forewarning to those who would be affected.

More immediately, the city needs an interim plan to properly relocate any displaced SRO residents, instead of just dumping them on the street and exacerbating the already huge homeless problem downtown. I would guess than many SRO tenants were probably previously homeless and are just getting back on their feet with rents they can afford.

Slapping on this moratorium until they can come up with a plan to preserve low-cost housing looks like one more politically-motivated, knee-jerk response by the Council. City planners have always known that significant downtown redevelopment might endanger the SROs and other low-end housing, so why have they twiddled their thumbs until now before addressing the issue?

Last edited by kaneui; Oct 13, 2005 at 1:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2005, 1:11 AM

I dont want any re-use of the building to be prevented if it means more permanent residents. They should just locate another location for SRO before developers are allowed to come in a take over a current one.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2005, 1:21 AM

why have they twidled their thumbs? Probably because every past effort to "revive" downtown has fallen flat on its face, and this current boom has gained tremendous momentum in very short time.

We really need to make some hard decisions as to who we're going to provide shelter and assistance to. SRO's are private establishments. They can cater to whoever the hell they want as far as i'm concerned. If they are turned into luxury condos, that will just mean more people on the streets, and who does that help? nobody. However, if we are going to replace SRO's with some kind of publicly funded shelters (how about a small tax on converted buildings?) then I'm going to be prickly about who we let live there. There are segments of the homeless population who are mentally ill and need treatment. For them we should fund asylums. There is a small segment of homeless families who are merely temporarily homeless or living in SRO's. I would have no problem offering them cheap housing for a limited time. Then there is the greater swath of homeless who are merely drunks, drug addicts, or just lazy. Those people have no place in any SRO replacement especially if there are families in the building. I don't really care where those people go. We need to enforce the laws and make them feel as unwelcome as possible. And everyone do your own part: don't give spare change to these worthless bums, you're merely subsidizing their addictions/laziness

Old Posted Oct 22, 2005, 4:01 AM

Looks like the El Dorado escaped the city's new SRO conversion moratorium (not that I'm complaining). I'd bet there was some sort of "grandfather" clause for pending permits...

El Dorado Project Gets Go-Ahead

Building permits were issued last Monday to start construction on the conversion of the El Dorado Hotel at 416 S. Spring St. into lofts. Developer Downtown Properties plans to turn the former 275-room low-income hotel into 65 condominiums that will start at $350,000 and top out at more than $1 million. Designed by Frederick Noonan and William Richards, the Gothic Revival structure was built in 1913 for $300,000. Also known as the Stowell Hotel, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Construction is slated to finish in early 2007.

Downtown News, 10/24/05

Old Posted Oct 23, 2005, 1:35 AM
Here we stAy

I was reading the Times New Homes section, and they ran a story on the Pan American Lofts, but I didn't catch when it was going to be completed. Anyone know?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTheAngelino
why have they twidled their thumbs? Probably because every past effort to "revive" downtown has fallen flat on its face, and this current boom has gained tremendous momentum in very short time.

We really need to make some hard decisions as to who we're going to provide shelter and assistance to. SRO's are private establishments. They can cater to whoever the hell they want as far as i'm concerned. If they are turned into luxury condos, that will just mean more people on the streets, and who does that help? nobody. However, if we are going to replace SRO's with some kind of publicly funded shelters (how about a small tax on converted buildings?) then I'm going to be prickly about who we let live there. There are segments of the homeless population who are mentally ill and need treatment. For them we should fund asylums. There is a small segment of homeless families who are merely temporarily homeless or living in SRO's. I would have no problem offering them cheap housing for a limited time. Then there is the greater swath of homeless who are merely drunks, drug addicts, or just lazy. Those people have no place in any SRO replacement especially if there are families in the building. I don't really care where those people go. We need to enforce the laws and make them feel as unwelcome as possible. And everyone do your own part: don't give spare change to these worthless bums, you're merely subsidizing their addictions/laziness

That's the first time I've ever agreed with you.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 6:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui
Looks like the El Dorado escaped the city's new SRO conversion moratorium (not that I'm complaining). I'd bet there was some sort of "grandfather" clause for pending permits...

El Dorado Project Gets Go-Ahead

Building permits were issued last Monday to start construction on the conversion of the El Dorado Hotel at 416 S. Spring St. into lofts. Developer Downtown Properties plans to turn the former 275-room low-income hotel into 65 condominiums that will start at $350,000 and top out at more than $1 million. Designed by Frederick Noonan and William Richards, the Gothic Revival structure was built in 1913 for $300,000. Also known as the Stowell Hotel, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Construction is slated to finish in early 2007.

Downtown News, 10/24/05
This is great news. This will bring even more life to an area that is starting to get very lively. 2007 seems like a long ways away, especially for a conversion.

By the way, I walked by the Rowan building on Spring, and conversion is well underway on that, as well as the building directly to the north, it looks like. With the Security Lofts damn near done and the conversion of the Alexandria, Spring Street should be a completly different street in two years.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 6:09 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport
I was reading the Times New Homes section, and they ran a story on the Pan American Lofts, but I didn't catch when it was going to be completed. Anyone know?
Should be Spring of 2006. I go by it every day on the way to and from work, and they're moving slowly but surely towards completion. I'm starting to see good progress on the interior works, but it still seems a long way's off.

Unfortunately, some taggers have taken advantage of the scaffolding around the building and have tagged the historic facade on the second story. It's a brick facade that I assume they don't want to paint, so I wonder how they're going to clean it off.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
By the way, I walked by the Rowan building on Spring, and conversion is well underway on that, as well as the building directly to the north, it looks like. With the Security Lofts damn near done and the conversion of the Alexandria, Spring Street should be a completly different street in two years.

The Security Lofts are waiting for their TCO and the DCBID be adding it to the free Saturday Housing Bus Tour in the next month or so!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 7:50 AM

We now know its 700 units! and a June Groundbreaking.

Builders Plan 2 Downtown Condo Towers
# KB Home and Lennar Corp. envision 700 units plus 25,000 square feet of retail space across from Staples Center. Work is to begin in June.

By Annette Haddad, Times Staff Writer

Two of the nation's biggest home builders will announce plans today to develop one of the tallest condominium projects in downtown Los Angeles, underscoring the area's renaissance in urban living and entertainment.

The proposed project — comprising 700 units in two buildings of 40 and 27 stories across South Figueroa Street from Staples Center — will add to downtown's high-end housing boom.

The high-rises also will further remake the city's skyline, moving it closer to the type of tableau found in such cities as Chicago, New York and Boston, where residential towers are prominent.

The development by KB Home and Lennar Corp. also will add to the residential base supporting L.A. Live, a $1.7-billion tourist-oriented "sports-entertainment" hub featuring a 55-story hotel and convention center, 7,100-seat theater, broadcast facilities, a 14-screen movie theater and nearly a dozen restaurants and clubs.

Anschutz Entertainment Group, developer of Staples Center and L.A. Live, has been selling land in the area with the intent that it be used for upscale housing.

The move by the two major builders, which specialize in suburban homes, is the latest example of a burgeoning movement to develop high-density residential units on previously developed land in cities with a shortage of housing.

That trend — known as urban infill — is reaching a crescendo in downtown Los Angeles, where nearly 8,000 units in 84 buildings have been built since 1999 or are currently in the pipeline.

"If you look at the size of this city … the pure population numbers alone suggest that this market can only grow," said Carol Schatz, president and chief executive of the Central City Assn. of Los Angeles, a business advocacy group that has been at the forefront of downtown redevelopment efforts.

She hailed today's expected announcement as a major milestone for the area.

Major builders "coming in with such a mammoth project just gives further validity to the market's depth," she said.

Construction of the KB Home-Lennar project, being called Fig Central for its location on Figueroa between 11th and 12th streets, is expected to begin in June, KB Home executives confirmed Tuesday.

At the base of the towers will be 25,000 square feet of retail space to be developed by LNR Property Corp., a real estate investment and management company that was once a part of Miami-based Lennar.

No minimum prices for the units have been set. Last month, 194 units of a new condo high-rise a few blocks from the proposed KB-Lennar project sold out in two days with an average sale price of $650,000.

The project will span four acres and include what KB Chief Executive Bruce Karatz described as an "interactive" design that will open onto the street, similar to older downtown buildings such as Grand Central Market.

At 40 stories, the taller of the two proposed high-rise condo buildings is large by condo standards but falls short of the 72-story U.S. Bank Tower — the city's tallest building — about a mile north of Staples Center.

The shift toward higher-density housing in Los Angeles has proved lucrative for developers and builders, who are finding strong demand particularly among first-time homeowners and "empty nesters" looking to downsize.

The shift also helps national builders continue to expand market share as suburban land becomes more expensive and less plentiful.

Several major builders already have entered the urban market. Miami-based Lennar is slated to build six 20-plus-story residential buildings in downtown Anaheim.

Irvine-based Standard Pacific Corp. is building a loft project near Marina del Rey, and Fort Worth-based D.R. Horton Inc., the biggest home builder in California in terms of units, has a big footprint in San Diego's downtown condo market.

For Westwood-based KB Home, the venture into downtown condo development also is part of a broader corporate plan to maintain its position as one of the nation's top five builders.

Its alliance with Lennar, to be announced today at a housing meeting hosted by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, will be the first effort of a newly created KB Home division that will focus solely on urban projects.

"Clearly, the urban core is an opportunity for many builders for a variety of reasons," said Stan Ross, chairman of USC's Lusk Center for Real Estate. "There's infrastructure there, cities are becoming more accommodating of the zoning approvals needed, and there's really a market need so the demand is extremely strong."

Now that KB Home has made a name for itself as the quintessential suburban home builder, its push into urban developments "is a natural extension," CEO Karatz said.

"There are more and more singles, single parents and baby boomers who are looking for simpler ways of living. They are making up a larger percentage of buyers of new homes," he said.

To be called KB Urban, the new unit will be run by Jeffrey Gault, an architect and longtime local developer and builder who most recently was president of privately held Empire Cos.

Still, urban building will be only a small percentage of KB Home's overall business, Karatz said. KB Home is on tap to build 38,000 homes this year and take in $10 billion in revenue, with projections of $18 billion by 2008.

KB Urban "is a nice complement" to the company's larger suburban business, he said. "You have to think about where the growth is going to come from, and this can be a piece of that growth strategy."

Lennar has moved aggressively lately into land redevelopment. Earlier this year, it won the bidding to build a new-home community at the site formerly occupied by the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station, and has already started similar projects on military bases in the Bay Area.

Lennar executives didn't return calls Tuesday seeking comment on Lennar's venture with KB Home.

Details about financing and other terms were not disclosed.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:19 PM

The artist rendering is in the LA Times, though I dont see it on the website. It looks pretty tall for 40 and 27 stories.

Tower design is different from those two towers in the South Park model that was shown at the l.a. live groundbreaking.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 4:29 PM

^ Yeah, it's a lot better than the model

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 6:41 PM

LAB, is the retail component 25,000 sf or 250,000 sf?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 7:15 PM

250,000sf

C'mon, can 25,000 fit a Whole Foods, Bed Bath and Beyond, another large store, and 8 restaurants and 3 bars!

Plus it's on 4-acres of land!

These "little" typos these writers make are really annoying and inaccurate sometimes.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19
The artist rendering is in the LA Times, though I dont see it on the website. It looks pretty tall for 40 and 27 stories.

Tower design is different from those two towers in the South Park model that was shown at the l.a. live groundbreaking.
Here it is:

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 5:23 AM

THanks for posting it LAMG!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19

Here it is:

wow!! what are all those little buildings around that smaller tower?...for some reason it looks like a Vegas project of some sort.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 6:07 AM

they arent little buildings. just more spaces. looks like they plan on putting something on the podium's roof. a community area probably.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West