HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I will say though, I always get questioned the most by American immigrations and customs. It's not necessarily the tone or manner which can be annoying (I usually end up with friendly - if curt - immigrations and customs agents), its their persistence and the depth of the questions. I understand the necessity of it, but it doesn't feel welcoming at all. It's a turn off, having to deal with that as your first interaction with Americans after landing. I can definitely see why foreign tourists would hate it.
Yeah, as a kid living in Japan, I hated coming into San Fransico and seeing Japanese people having to deal with the rude customs( always thought the Japanese were incredibly nice). Terrible way to enter the U.S, but ....well....just a terrible way to enter!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:08 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
They've fixed it up, but there used to be a similar border between Nevada and California on the road from Laughlin to Needles. There was a nice, 4 lane, smooth highway, then all of a sudden it turned into a barely maintained, pot-holed, 2 lane, tooth rattler. Nice greeting from California
Ditto Ehrenberg Arizona to Blythe California on I-10

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
Rednecks

I find so many "tolerant" people on here being so closed minded. For a person to want their country to maintain their sovereignty and keep the rule of law in place, this does not make them a redneck. Europe is having major problems with illegal immigration as the U.S, and their open borders are only making things worse. I see no positive in opening up our border more. Plus, the Mexican border is insanely dangerous. Drug cartels own the land....and if you were to open the border like they do in Europe, Chaos will ensue. So please, do not call me a redneck for having to deal with an issue that Europeans do not. To say our situation is the same as say Germany would be foolish. No broad generalizations please.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusey View Post
In the US you have people who are paranoid and think that open borders with neighboring countries will lead to an invasion of Mexicans and a loss of sovereignty.
I don't think its too unfounded, the fear it is. We have 10 million plus illegals here already, with "closed" borders. You open the borders up, I could imagine that doubling in a year. This would be a huge refuge crises.

On thing I think people seem to not think about is this, if Americans were saying snatching up land and property in Mexico and using it for their own needs, and mostly not learning the language, people on this forum for sure, would be calling these people intruders and that they need to go back to the U.S. But since it is a issue that is pitted against the U.S, we seem to over look the fact that the U.S has the right to protect its borders as we see it fit. And we are target number one, so I think we should be able to protect ourselves as we see needed.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bill View Post
Exactly my point! Anybody who wanted to enter either country to do harm is free to do so right now. What harm could possibly come by opening up the border?
My question is this: Many illegals from Mexico pay Coyotes to help them cross the border. Could they not use that money and go to Canada and just walk over very easily? Or does Canada care about whose coming in like the United States?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
I hate paranoid people! Mexicans invading the US if the border is opened up? Crazy talk!
Using the term "invading" makes it seem as if the Mexican Government will being doing the invading. No, people are not seriously thinking that, they are talking about the inevitable influx of people.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post

Rhode Island's street crews seem to be working a TAD more than Massachusetts.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:37 AM

All politics aside( and I HATE poltics...just seem to be brought up on here with ANY subject..and always seem to be anti-U.S)...

This thread is very interesting...please keep the pictures up.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:51 AM
Back from the dead

When we say "open borders" are talking about something like 'no customs , no patrols , no tariifs ,etc." or are we talking about something like free trade ?
Just swinging open the doors and inviting everybody who wants in to have a seat is definitely NOT a good idea. There's nothing 'redneck' about it either. It's common sense. Every country has the right to maintain its internal security and its own rule of law.
I'm a proponent of the concept of guest workers. If that's what a country needs then that's what a country needs. I'm also a big proponent of increased immigration of all types (not just skilled workers) Plus I see no reason why we couldn't accept higher numbers of refugees. The only way to make sure you get the people you want is to manage your borders though. Without any sort of screening , it's common sense that this would attract the criminal class much more than if there was a screening process involved. Sure , some people do get paranoid about it but then again , not only do they have every right to expect regulation of admittance , it shouldn't even be an issue in the first place.

This is one of the few times that you can have your cake and eat it too with respect to getting migrant workers and making sure they're in the country legally. You will not get this by either closing the border down completely or opening it up any more than it already is. I don't buy the "they're abusing our system" stuff. It may be true and it may not ...I don't know how it all works out in the end. The fact is that illegal immigrants are usually doing jobs that the homegrown folks couldn't be bothered to do themselves. It probably balances out in the grand scheme but even if it doesn't , those really aren't the people anybody should be worried about. It's that criminal class that needs to be stopped and they can't be stopped without greater control over the border.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
It's that criminal class that needs to be stopped and they can't be stopped without greater control over the border.
We'd have to build walls bigger than the Berlin wall. Bigger than the great wall of China. Even then, they'd find a way through.

A closed border is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 8:07 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
We'd have to build walls bigger than the Berlin wall. Bigger than the great wall of China. Even then, they'd find a way through.

Who says you actually need a wall ? What the US needs is a better strategy. I don't claim to know what it is but working with the Mexican side a little more obviously wouldn't hurt. More importantly though , all the US really needs in this case is to admit guest workers. Apart from seriously decreasing the number of people who currently have no choice but to go over illegally , if implemented , it would mean that those same people could be tracked (at least to some degree) As well , it would also mean that what's left of the illegal immigration would be far more manageable. Who's going to argue that illegal immigrants have a "right" to stay when it's so easy for them to come in quite legally ?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:54 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Yeah, as a kid living in Japan, I hated coming into San Fransico and seeing Japanese people having to deal with the rude customs( always thought the Japanese were incredibly nice). Terrible way to enter the U.S, but ....well....just a terrible way to enter!
it's like that most places. the japanese customs officials weren't exactly rolling out the welcome mat either. government employees hate their job no matter what country they're in.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 4:09 PM

Tri-point!

The Mongolia-Russia-China (western) tripoint is in the mountain range.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 4:28 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

That Argentina-Paraguay-Brazil one is the coolest one I've seen.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 5:48 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Tri-point!

The Mongolia-Russia-China (western) tripoint is in the mountain range.
Awesome!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:11 PM
aka GM on SSC

The international train station of Canfranc, in the middle of the Pyrénées mountain range, at the franco-spanish border.

Jean-Pierre Bazard

Ayuntamiento de Canfranc

Ayuntamiento de Canfranc

It is abandonned since nearly 40 years.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Please don't tell me a wall is a minor inconvenience. Where ever a wall has been constructed( as in San diego) movement over the border decreased. You are using an argument that is flawed...basically don't do anything because it won't fix the problem 100%. Nothing will do that.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Who says you actually need a wall ? What the US needs is a better strategy. I don't claim to know what it is but working with the Mexican side a little more obviously wouldn't hurt. More importantly though , all the US really needs in this case is to admit guest workers. Apart from seriously decreasing the number of people who currently have no choice but to go over illegally , if implemented , it would mean that those same people could be tracked (at least to some degree) As well , it would also mean that what's left of the illegal immigration would be far more manageable. Who's going to argue that illegal immigrants have a "right" to stay when it's so easy for them to come in quite legally ?
Exactly.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 5:11 AM

India-Bangladesh, it seems India has trouble with all its neighbors (Nepali worker controversy, Chinese border disputes, and of course fighting Pakistan over a glacier)

(Despardes)

The foreground is an island off Brazzaville, Congo, while the skyline is Kinshasa, DRC. These two cities, separated by the wide Congo River, are the two closest capital cities in the world to each other.

(http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2716082.html)

Brazzaville is on top, not sure which side gets the island:

(Photoglobe)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 5:22 AM

The most interesting one I've found

(Visit Norway)

That's the Norway/Finland/Russia tripoint, and the only place on Earth where three time zones all off by an hour meet. Norway's GT+1, Finland's GT+2, this piece of Russia's GT+3

This spot even gets its own name: Treriksrøysa

(Panoramio)

Kid: What time is it?
Parent: it's noon and two o'clock.
Kid:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions