HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 8:38 PM
Skyriser

Had you also read the article instead of wanting to argue, you'd see a lot of the consternation is with a new build.

And the "chains" you listed are nowhere near the size of a large corporate business that has 14 different total locations.

And apparently you need the difference between a beer/wine license and liquor license spelled out to you because that was also in the article.

I think I said much of this in my first comment anyways.

Last edited by combusean; May 31, 2023 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
“We definitely want to keep the family-friendly reputation that we have,” Lanning said.

While I admire the sentiment, I think that battle was lost when businesses with names like "Breakfast Bitch" and "Fuck You, Pay Me" opened in the area.
Killer Whale Sex Club
Disco Dragon
All the breweries.

Yes, very family friendly. Take your kids! Lol Think of the kids!

Literally though, I saw no kids when I was walking around First Friday. It's all young folks with no kids.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:37 PM
self-important urbanista

More coverage of the Federales hysteria:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...ition-16325934

The entitlement mentality of the opponents is astounding. Community outreach is nice, but it's not a requirement. I thought this kind of thinking had been vanquished after the "Save Roosevelt Row" movement had its brief moment back in 2015, but it appears to be rearing its ugly head once again.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
More coverage of the Federales hysteria:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...ition-16325934

The entitlement mentality of the opponents is astounding. Community outreach is nice, but it's not a requirement. I thought this kind of thinking had been vanquished after the "Save Roosevelt Row" movement had its brief moment back in 2015, but it appears to be rearing its ugly head once again.
It took a long time for the article to get to the ground truth: Golden Margarita.

They are worried about the clientele. They don't want a Dos Gringos knock off and the crowd it brings. Just say that. Don't invent some BS about "we weren't consulted!" as if everyone who ever built on RR received permission and let the community take part in the design. Please.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Had you also read the article instead of wanting to argue, you'd see a lot of the consternation is with a new build.

And the "chains" you listed are nowhere near the size of a large corporate business that has 14 different total locations.

And apparently you need the difference between a beer/wine license and liquor license spelled out to you because that was also in the article.

I think I said much of this in my first comment anyways.
What makes you so salty?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 8:57 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
What makes you so salty?
You argue nonstop and then blame me for being salty when I win? Turn down the propane on your gaslight.

Last edited by combusean; Jun 1, 2023 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 9:27 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
It took a long time for the article to get to the ground truth: Golden Margarita.

They are worried about the clientele. They don't want a Dos Gringos knock off and the crowd it brings. Just say that. Don't invent some BS about "we weren't consulted!" as if everyone who ever built on RR received permission and let the community take part in the design. Please.
This is the elephant in the room.

Golden Margarita was a massive problem. But I don't think it's a "clientele" issue which is really just thinly veiled racism. Golden Margarita wasn't so much a restaurant as it was a night club and I don't think anybody wants Roosevelt Row to become a night club district--it's very different from the dolled up dive bars the area is known for and RoRo should not at all become a night club district. People trying to recreate Downtown Scottsdale like GM attempted should stay away from RoRo.

But after doing further research, like the Federales in Denver is pretty much what they're trying to do in RoRo and the problem with chain corporates coming in aside, it comes down to the details. And unlike Golden Margarita, Federales could be a fit there.

Golden Margarita was not a "bonafide eating establishment" at the end of the day and lost their license and closed for a reason.

Fortunately there are zoning regulations for this. As obscure and onerous as some of these regulations are, Phoenix regulates the hell out of night clubs.

If Federales doesn't want to be a night club and actually a "bonafide eating establishment" I think they have every right to be there. I get the consternation, but the law is the law. Where Federales might have a problem is asking for things that shouldn't belong, like use permits for night clubs, and RoRo has every legal right to say no and the City should say no.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:44 PM

RoRo has come a long way. It would be a shame if it turned into a nightclub district. I am for people having fun but what’s so beneficial about a nightclub anyway? I think what RoRo has going right now is very special.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
RoRo has come a long way. It would be a shame if it turned into a nightclub district. I am for people having fun but what’s so beneficial about a nightclub anyway? I think what RoRo has going right now is very special.
I have barely been to RoRo in the past 8-10 years (I almost couldn't even bring myself to type "RoRo"). But I used to go all the time. However, I have driven around it periodically and been to a few new spots, and it's certainly miles from what it used to be. The last thing it really needs though is the final anchor on the south side to really enclose the area in - the block of 5th Street to 6th Street from Garfield to McKinley needs to be developed. Given that is the City of Phoenix land and I think a part of the overall "biosciences" masterplan, it'll probably be decade(s) until it is. Other development to the north to Moreland would be nice as well to really solidify the place.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 5:48 PM

I don’t see why there can’t be a balance of both the lounge atmosphere and bars/clubs. People should have options for their nightlife if you want to have a thriving downtown.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
You argue nonstop and then blame me for being salty when I win? Turn down the propane on your gaslight.
"gaslight" you should be ashamed of using that meme word you dork

Its a forum I like arguing join in or dont

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 9:01 PM

Everyone please stop using RoRo its awful

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 10:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Reminds me of Scooby Doo when people say it

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 10:01 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The last thing it really needs though is the final anchor on the south side to really enclose the area in - the block of 5th Street to 6th Street from Garfield to McKinley needs to be developed. Given that is the City of Phoenix land and I think a part of the overall "biosciences" masterplan, it'll probably be decade(s) until it is. Other development to the north to Moreland would be nice as well to really solidify the place.
This block is slated to be developed with a Wexford-type building on a parking podium last I read about it. Not sure what the current status is.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
"gaslight" you should be ashamed of using that meme word you dork

Its a forum I like arguing join in or dont
Lol gaslight is a meme? Dude I think it went right over your head.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Reminds me of Scooby Doo when people say it

Now that you say that I’m surprised nobody has a bar named that haha

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 11:23 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Now that you say that I’m surprised nobody has a bar named that haha
I was walking down Roosevelt last night and noticed a coming soon sign for a place called "RoRo Hot Dogs." With "RoRo" in the name and a dog theme, it looks like Scooby snacks are coming to Roosevelt Row.

https://rorodogs.com/

In other news, the Board of Adjustment has stopped the Federales project, at least for now:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...t-row-16372038

Last edited by exit2lef; Jun 3, 2023 at 11:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Yes. It's terrible. At the very very most it should be "RoRow". No reason at all to drop the last 'w', other than to copy the countless other lame shortened downtown area names across the country. Which is exactly another reason to keep the 'w', or obviously just don't shorten it at all.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Lol gaslight is a meme? Dude I think it went right over your head.
I didn’t go over my head it’s a stupid word and a darling of people when they want to say “I don’t like what you are saying “ which isn’t even what it means. Gaslighting means to literally make somebody think they are going crazy intentionally.

Being a general ass (me) isn’t “gaslighting”

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
So this is interesting, Wildernesses opening a new brewpub at 1428 E Mcdowel Road only like 2 miles from the Roosevelt location.

I hope they arent closing on Roosevelt.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...oenix-16060189
Beautiful building. The post mentions a Fall 2024 opening date.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtNBeT2u...RlODBiNWFlZA==

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest