HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 9:39 PM

This is what's been needed all along-great to see.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:54 AM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 2:23 AM

I hope good things come of this.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:33 PM

well Hope everyone is doing good and being safe

Little updates I’ve heard.

Swoop has been pushed back to February or April 2021 to restart
United has been pushed back to November 2020 to restart (this keeps changing month by month)
and Delta is 4 times a week going to 3 times for October maybe November too

and the WAA is bankrupt so badly they are looking for a bailout from the Feds and have been saying to few people again in the airport they wanna try shut it down to try save money (which I think Transport Canada is like HA no you can’t)... If they quit spending money on stuff for themselves (new offices, fancy dinner parties) wouldn’t be an issue. They raised the AIF to $38 recently and yet they haven’t improved much in the building other then the belt they fixed and it still manages to have issues I’m told. The WAA are very cheap people.

I’ve heard for now. Wear your masks going in the terminal if you do it’s mandatory.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:41 PM

^ so
No airport expansion then I take it

(Lol just being harmlessly factitious)

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:02 PM

I assume numerous airports in Canada (and across the world) would be in a similar situation.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:37 PM

Spinning airports off into what are supposed to be self-sustaining models was always a bad idea. The federal government should have groups the airports into a large self-autonomous agency and let them float money across regions to make the overall operations net zero after putting money into contingency and upgrades.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 6:43 PM
What could go wrong?

The airport will be proceeding with a new cargo facility next year. They have put off another building until the following year. The actual terminal and parking additions have been moved out until things get back to a more regular normal....I would suspect the 5 year range.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:42 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Spinning airports off into what are supposed to be self-sustaining models was always a bad idea. The federal government should have groups the airports into a large self-autonomous agency and let them float money across regions to make the overall operations net zero after putting money into contingency and upgrades.
and it's always irked me to no end that the federal government does not provide any funding whatsoever to air travel. They could drive down the costs of air travel in Canada if they coughed up some money.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:32 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
and it's always irked me to no end that the federal government does not provide any funding whatsoever to air travel. They could drive down the costs of air travel in Canada if they coughed up some money.
I guess it comes down to priorities. I agree though. We should probably put some money into air travel to help make it more accessible. It would be a giant boon to the economy and a good investment. Specifically, keep the infrastructure updated so that passengers don't get gouged by high airport improvement fees
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 5:18 PM

I saw an article (didn't read it) about WAA working with Amazon to build a warehouse here. Whatever working with means.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 6:09 PM

Looking at the news articles coming out of WAA's AGM yesterday, it seems to me that the WAA is in deep ka ka for the foreseeable future... their normally upbeat CEO was pretty dour about the airport's state of affairs. It sounds like the terminal will be getting nothing more than basic routine maintenance for at least the next five years.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 7:46 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 12:53 AM

Was at the airport on Wednesday, the only places open were Green Carrot and the lounge just past security. The only place to get a coffee was the gift shop – they bought a Keurig lol.

Stella's at the airport is also closing permanently. Interestingly, they're building some sort of Bombay Sapphire bar at the south end of the terminal.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Was at the airport on Wednesday, the only places open were Green Carrot and the lounge just past security. The only place to get a coffee was the gift shop – they bought a Keurig lol.

Stella's at the airport is also closing permanently. Interestingly, they're building some sort of Bombay Sapphire bar at the south end of the terminal.
Not even the Tim's is open past security?!

Savage times for the airport. I guess as it becomes clear that this downturn in flying is probably going to last for a while, we'll probably see more closures. You can't run all of those shops and restaurants for 250 passengers a day or whatever the current counts are like.

Also, the Bombay Sapphire bar sounds interesting but I'd prefer a rum hut myself

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:22 AM

Everything closed, but Gin!

Sign of the times I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not even the Tim's is open past security?!

Savage times for the airport. I guess as it becomes clear that this downturn in flying is probably going to last for a while, we'll probably see more closures. You can't run all of those shops and restaurants for 250 passengers a day or whatever the current counts are like.

Also, the Bombay Sapphire bar sounds interesting but I'd prefer a rum hut myself
The airside Tim's is moving to a larger location at the far end of the concourse, down by the regional gates. At this point they've closed the old one, but haven't opened the new one yet.

The Bombay Sapphire bar construction started before the pandemic, so I don't know if we should actually expect to see it completed now...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
The airside Tim's is moving to a larger location at the far end of the concourse, down by the regional gates. At this point they've closed the old one, but haven't opened the new one yet.
That makes sense. I always thought the Tim Hortons locations on both the dom/int and TB sides were undersized relative to demand from day one. A bigger kiosk at a minimum if not a full size location like on the arrivals level. Although maybe this is all moot now...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That makes sense. I always thought the Tim Hortons locations on both the dom/int and TB sides were undersized relative to demand from day one. A bigger kiosk at a minimum if not a full size location like on the arrivals level. Although maybe this is all moot now...
Wasn't the TB (US) side Tim Hortons added or moved after it opened? I could swear it was originally an island style kiosk near Gate 1 but later moved to effectively self-service location before gate 1, possible due in part of the passenger crowding issues in the TB area.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 5:18 PM

^ My memory is fuzzy but I think you're right. But the TB side never had a full range Tim's IIRC, it's basically coffee, donuts, muffins, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan