HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
Further to this point and, as an addition to the earlier conversation, there is work proceeding on the East side of the current alignment between Superior Shores and just north of Ouimet Canyon Rd.. There is a company currently clearing trees from the right-of-way. This doesn't mean construction of the highway is proceeding however... just some preliminary work.
When I was through there yesterday it looked as though the hydro lines were being realigned as well.

As you say though, that doesn't necessarily mean anything for future contracts though.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Back in the days, NDP wanted to replace the intersection of 11-17 and 102 with an interchange. They cleared the land. Then PC came and cancelled the project. I heard some trees have grown back since.

If this is all preliminary right now, I can’t see why the trees won’t grow back. In other words, we are clearing the land for nothing.
After the original clearing of the right-of-way for the Shabaqua Extension and its subsequent cancellation, the successive governments kept it cleared for over a decade.

The land at 11-17 and 102 was never all appropriated either. I believe that there is still one home on the adjacent Carl Ave that needs to be shaved. I could be wrong about that. The other three corners have all been denuded of buildings and trees.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
When I was through there yesterday it looked as though the hydro lines were being realigned as well.

As you say though, that doesn't necessarily mean anything for future contracts though.
At the very least, next time when the highway’s closed, people can detour off-road.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:43 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Back in the days, NDP wanted to replace the intersection of 11-17 and 102 with an interchange. They cleared the land. Then PC came and cancelled the project. I heard some trees have grown back since.

If this is all preliminary right now, I can’t see why the trees won’t grow back. In other words, we are clearing the land for nothing.
They grew back, and the area became a hangout for drug users and prostitutes (I grew up at County Fair Mall, it has had prostitutes at least since the early 90s and maybe before that) so the city cut down all the trees. All the work they do in the area takes into consideration that it will become an interchange but who knows when that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
After the original clearing of the right-of-way for the Shabaqua Extension and its subsequent cancellation, the successive governments kept it cleared for over a decade.

The land at 11-17 and 102 was never all appropriated either. I believe that there is still one home on the adjacent Carl Ave that needs to be shaved. I could be wrong about that. The other three corners have all been denuded of buildings and trees.
I think they've done all the expropriating, they can design an interchange around the existing home. The owners will likely wish they had been expropriated though, they'll be closer to the highway than anyone else.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:33 PM
ハルウララ

Is Highway 6 between Guelph and Hamilton always so busy? Was driving on the 401 eastbound Sunday at noon and the exitramp for the 6 was backed up well onto the 401. Any plans at twinning or expanding capacity on the 6?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Is Highway 6 between Guelph and Hamilton always so busy? Was driving on the 401 eastbound Sunday at noon and the exitramp for the 6 was backed up well onto the 401. Any plans at twinning or expanding capacity on the 6?
Morriston & Puslinch Bypass has been planned, but that’s all I know. Also where 401 and 6 are concurrent will have 10 lanes, 6 for Highway 401 and 4 for Highway 6.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
There's a short 2-lane section of highway 6 with a set of lights just south of the 401 interchange. That section causes backups onto the 401.

I don't see an expansion in the cards, as it would obliterate the town. There's too much volume to remove the traffic light too. A bypass would be the only solution I could see.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
There's a short 2-lane section of highway 6 with a set of lights just south of the 401 interchange. That section causes backups onto the 401.

I don't see an expansion in the cards, as it would obliterate the town. There's too much volume to remove the traffic light too. A bypass would be the only solution I could see.
What about partially expropriating some of the properties to make roundabouts in the interim?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Moose on Highway 417, Again (Ottawa)

https://twitter.com/OPP_COMM_ER/stat...87840985194497

I wonder where the moose come from. Gatineau Park?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:17 PM

The Morristown bypass is funded and should begin construction in the next few years.

The only other upgrade planned between the 401 and the 403 is a new interchange at highway 5.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:42 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Morristown bypass is funded and should begin construction in the next few years.

The only other upgrade planned between the 401 and the 403 is a new interchange at highway 5.
I wonder how it will be done then. Will MTO have Highway 6 go under Highway 5 so as to reduce the slope down the escarpment from 7% to 5%? This is probably the steepest section of any provincial highway in GTHA.

Also, ON Highway 5 shouldbe renumbered (as a continuation of) ON Highway 8 just to completely eliminate that number.

Sometimes I find it funny that exits off 407 still refers to Highway 27 as Ontario Highway 27, Highway 7 as Ontario Highway 7, Yonge Street as Highway 11 and Markham Road as Ontario Highway 48** on brand new signages. As for 427, exit to Dundas Street still refers to it as Ontario Highway 5. Then exits from both 403 and 407 refer to Hurontario Street as Ontario Highway 10.

** For this one, though, truckers are reminded to use either McCowan Road or Donald Cousens Parkway to reach it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:
https://twitter.com/OPP_COMM_ER/stat...87840985194497

I wonder where the moose come from. Gatineau Park?

Hwy #417 at Anderson Rd. There is a lot of conservation area here.

In other words, not Gatineau Park. 😂

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:03 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

At one point, I've also thought that those moose come from Matawa, swim along Ottawa River, and end up in Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:51 AM

Quote:
It's not by accident that the speed change lane from the eastbound 401 to Highway 6 south is almost 1km long. The queue is most often non 1km long, but there is often some kind of a queue at the traffic signals.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:44 PM
ハルウララ

Thanks for the replies. Seems like a simple highway to upgrade between two populated areas (aside from the people in the towns near the 401).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengler avenue View Post
at one point, i've also thought that those moose come from matawa, swim along ottawa river, and end up in ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:18 PM

So I had a chance yesterday to have a chat with a friend of a friend who works for TerraNorth...

According to him (and I take this with a Boulder Sized Grain of Salt) at least two of the five projects for twinning 11/17 are signed contracts and good to go. We should be seeing them go to tender in the next few weeks. He wouldn't confirm which of the 5 are the ones going to tender but I think, based on the hydro work going on right now, those two projects are the twinning from Superior Shores to Dorion Loop and Red Rock 9 to Coughlin Rd.

I am wondering, if this is the truth and we see these go to tender, if this might be due to the announced Federal Funds to match the provincial funds?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 12:28 AM

Let's hope he's right.

I check the MTO's contract bulletin pretty regularly to look at what's coming down the pipe, and I have not seen any contracts tendered for work on Highway 11/17 between Thunder Bay and Nipigon over the last year.

...But, sometimes the MTO contracts tenders through Infrastructure Ontario which don't show up on MTO's contract bulletin. Because there was significant federal funding announced for some of these projects it's also not impossible that the contracts were tendered through the federal government as well, which also wouldn't show up on the MTO's contract system.

I have to think that the Liberals knew the writing was on the wall and they weren't going to win the election last year when they announced the projects, so it wouldn't have been shocking if they tried to find a way to fund them without the PC's being able to cancel the projects. I'm just not sure how they would have done that.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 12:42 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post

I have to think that the Liberals knew the writing was on the wall and they weren't going to win the election last year when they announced the projects, so it wouldn't have been shocking if they tried to find a way to fund them without the PC's being able to cancel the projects. I'm just not sure how they would have done that.
That's why the government that wanna see TCH twinned should establish a strictly non-partisan TCH authority that oversees the funding and completion of twinning projects.

Source of funding? Traffic infraction tickets, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario