HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I got the impression there would be outdoor space in the new proposal where the theater stands now more or less.
Yeah, they can scrap that part.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
That will never happen.
I agree that it’s highly unlikely but it’s not too far fetched. Ogden High would have been much cheap to demo and rebuild but the community raised millions to save it and help cover some of the extra expense to rehab it. If there truly is demand to save the theater the community would have to step up. I don’t see that happening at the moment.

Back to my question about what should be saved. Is the building itself special in some way or is the ornament decor the real prize of this theater? If something should or could be saved I see the decor as what is unique, but again, I’ve never seen the building in person either.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I don't think you could squeeze a tower and and parking there. I wish we could just let this Theater restoration idea die. I don't see the demand for it.
I believe that’s called short-sighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post

I say forget new parking. Get agreements with existing garages/lots. This is on MAIN STREET where all 3 TRAX lines run. Nobody needs more parking.
Good idea. Would be nice if they could preserve the hallway that connects the lobby to Main Street too.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
I agree that it’s highly unlikely but it’s not too far fetched. Ogden High would have been much cheap to demo and rebuild but the community raised millions to save it and help cover some of the extra expense to rehab it. If there truly is demand to save the theater the community would have to step up. I don’t see that happening at the moment.

Back to my question about what should be saved. Is the building itself special in some way or is the ornament decor the real prize of this theater? If something should or could be saved I see the decor as what is unique, but again, I’ve never seen the building in person either.
They don’t build theaters like this anymore. Plain and simple. The Pantages theaters in both Minneapolis and Tacoma are considered assets. Not sure why we couldn’t consider ours one too.
There are too many surface parking lots downtown to justify tearing down a hidden gem instead of choosing some other location.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:20 AM

And then just have contract parking with the large US Bank parking ramp.

But still, why not just choose a different location for a tower. No proposal should be accepted for this plot of land if it doesn't include restoring the theater.

Old Victory/Colonial Theater:

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 5, 2019 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:30 PM
Space Magi

Looking at the most recent proposal, the plan isn't actually to demolish the theater for a tower; it's to demolish the theater for an outdoor space and parking garage. This might make sense from a monetary perspective but I'm struggling to see how this is a good idea otherwise. Is not having a dedicated parking garage a deal-breaker for the prospective developer?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:28 PM

Does that stage prop say asbestos? Lol.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:27 PM

Fyi. This project won an AIA Honor Award from AIA Seattle:

https://aiaseattle.submittable.com/g...457c/14073709/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:22 PM

370 Millennium Tower

Is this a new rendering? Still listed at 27 stories it says construction scheduled to begin Q2 2020. Also the website with the older renderings doesn't exist anymore. https://www.heldproperties.com/offic...lennium-tower/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:00 PM
Engineer

^^Looks very similar to what we've seen before but with a few tweaks. Somebody mentioned the 370 Milennium site was put up for sale so pretty sure it's dead. It's now dawning on me how ugly that proposal is so I'm not terribly upset.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:40 PM

Where is this new rendering? All I'm seeing is a very small partial portion of the tower.

FYI...Went to a doctors appointment the other day in what would be considered a nice area of Central Los Angeles. I couldn't believe how many tents and makeshift hovels with accompanying garbage were springing up along the curbside/parkways everywhere among the commercial and residential buildings and neighborhoods! Things are getting seriously out of control here. It used to be that it was contained in isolated areas, but now it's everywhere.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 6, 2019 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:54 PM
Engineer

You can see a more complete rendering by clicking on office buildings, though still cuts off some of it.

https://www.heldproperties.com/office-buildings/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:00 PM

Oh, okay. Thanks Airhero. Looks like the bottom has changed quite a bit, though you really can't see the street engagement clearly. Still seems preliminary to me. I wrote them asking for some clarification. We'll see if I get a reply.

Save The Utah Theater RDA Meeting NOV. 12, 2019

Please show your support to Save the Utah Theater and attend the Redevelopment Meeting, November 12th at 2pm, (address: 451 South State, Room 326 Salt Lake City, Utah 84111)

This could possibly be your last chance to Save the Utah Theater.

Write and call your Mayor and Council Member: https://www.slc.gov/council/about-us/

Please share.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:29 PM

Public meeting has been scheduled for the Kensington waiver.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Lol. I made the mistake again if reading comments in a trib article. People are dumb.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Lol. I made the mistake again if reading comments in a trib article. People are dumb.
Yep. It makes me wonder what areas do I have a really lame and uneducated opinion.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
The tower seems to have no active uses on street level. Hopefully the city makes that a must.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 6:32 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Where is this new rendering? All I'm seeing is a very small partial portion of the tower.
The rendering shows up nicely on mobile. The desktop site cuts it off.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Remember, it's always the angriest people who are the loudest. Chances are most people don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
The tower seems to have no active uses on street level. Hopefully the city makes that a must.
Yeah this is my biggest concern. Problem is that I don't think there's anything in the code that requires it, so I'm not sure if they can force them to do that.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:06 PM

What are the comments about the Kensington tower on the Trib? More comments about views being blocked?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West