HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
Are there any plans in the works to move forward with something on Broad and Washington, across from the new Target? It's an entire city block of vacant lot.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214349

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:17 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Huge upgrade for Frankford Ave!

On that note, Frankford Ave is getting crazy. It needs to be a one way street at this point, at least between Girard and Lehigh. I hope the city does something about it.
You think? I know pedestrian traffic is pretty crazy (especially on days with decent weather), but is vehicle traffic that bad now? It hasn't seemed to be to me, but I don't head that way a ton.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:28 PM
Fishtown & Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
You think? I know pedestrian traffic is pretty crazy (especially on days with decent weather), but is vehicle traffic that bad now? It hasn't seemed to be to me, but I don't head that way a ton.
Vehicle traffic on Frankford is often a real pain. Used to take it a lot, but now mostly avoid it. There are usually vehicles double parked or loading / unloading, which completely blocks traffic in one or both directions.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:12 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
Vehicle traffic on Frankford is often a real pain. Used to take it a lot, but now mostly avoid it. There are usually vehicles double parked or loading / unloading, which completely blocks traffic in one or both directions.
Fair enough, although I feel like the double parking thing has gotten to be a huge pain city-wide due to the combination of ride-sharing, deliveries, etc. I have no clue what the solution is, but damn would I like to find one.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, although I feel like the double parking thing has gotten to be a huge pain city-wide due to the combination of ride-sharing, deliveries, etc. I have no clue what the solution is, but damn would I like to find one.
Actually writing people tickets would be a good start, that would at least curb the double parking Ubers. The reality is we need to replace a bunch of street parking with loading zones. If you are a business, personal vehicles are dead last for through-put using that space.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
It's also the road is narrow, their are bikers, its where the city grind shifts from N to S to NE to SE and so the roads are angled weird, lots of pedestrians, lots of right hand turns, etc.

If you look at all the traffic patterns at most of the intersections, you can see the complexity. Everything would be much better if Frankford and Front were each one way streets between Girard and Lehigh....which Frankford going N and Front going S.

If you look at a road like Main St Manayunk, it is 2 lanes and goes both ways but it doesn't have most traffic crossing across bc one side of Main St runs along the river. If Frankford is going to be a true commercial st, it really needs to be one way.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:42 PM
Fishtown & Country

Wednesday, 1/9

Signage is up at The National

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:43 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Like I said before, FinTech is an area we can break into besides Eds/Meds, etc. Hopefully, the company can grow in size in the future, but a very good start to see them take up space in the CC district.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ng-wework.html

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:45 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
Wednesday, 1/9

Signage is up at The National

The base of the building and signage actually turned out very good. The rest with the paneling not so good. It would of been cool if they chose some sort of stone above this part inside of cheap paneling.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:08 PM

Does anyone know of a project scheduled to happen at 46th and Lancaster? I overheard someone talking about breaking ground on a project in that area, as well as traveling up to Harrisburg to secure RACP funding for it, as I was leaving the office for lunch a few hours ago.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:40 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The base of the building and signage actually turned out very good. The rest with the paneling not so good. It would of been cool if they chose some sort of stone above this part inside of cheap paneling.
I'm not an architect (though I'd like to be) and even I can tell the best design move here would have been to clad the addition in polished aluminum to match the material of the signage. Hell even an all black façade so the National base just popped and the addition just stayed quiet. Instead they decided to attempt a half-assed "compliment" to the original façade - complete with matte grey that takes zero cues from the original and sporadic orange paneling which does not match and does not compliment in any way the original National façade. It's like seeing two shades of white side-by-side. So in summary, the recreated façade looks pretty fantastic with some lame cheap hokum stacked on top.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 11:04 PM

I must be on my own here, but I actually really like the way the National turned out. I like the way the angled color panels by the window plays off of the zig-zag awning on the ground floor. I think the colors and materials complement well as well.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I must be on my own here, but I actually really like the way the National turned out. I like the way the angled color panels by the window plays off of the zig-zag awning on the ground floor. I think the colors and materials complement well as well.
Not totally alone. I've been defending it for months.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Put forward facing video cameras on SEPTA buses and maybe other city vehicles and have a bunch of people in an office somewhere review the video and write tickets to anyone double parked (it could be a $25 or 50 ticket). We also need more loading zones or no parking zones for drop-off and pick-up of passengers, more parking meter areas, switch to a parking meter system that adjusts prices based on demand so that there are always a few empty spaces on every block at all times and maybe most of all we need designated zones all over center city for package delivery vehicles. All these ideas are out there already and clearly would work, the city is just not very proactive about doing anything that would potentially affect the car/parking situation.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Not totally alone. I've been defending it for months.
In the context of the photo and I'm sure from the ground, it looks fine. Seeing it from a distance where you only see the tower portion....well, looks pretty bad to me.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 2:01 PM

Septa is in the process of added front facing cameras. The first ones will go on busses that use the Chestnut Street bus lane (9, 21, 38, 42). There is a huge problem of cars, ubers, and delivery trucks that are not supposed to be in the bus lane. They are waiting for approval from the state and once they approve it the cameras will be implemented and eventually distributed statewide.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
In the context of the photo and I'm sure from the ground, it looks fine. Seeing it from a distance where you only see the tower portion....well, looks pretty bad to me.
Agreed, I like the bottom. the top looks a little cheap. Best part of this development for me will be a welcoming park at the corner at elfreth's alley and 2nd st. I think the north side of the alley should also be a little park instead of parking.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:42 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
Agreed, I like the bottom. the top looks a little cheap. Best part of this development for me will be a welcoming park at the corner at elfreth's alley and 2nd st. I think the north side of the alley should also be a little park instead of parking.
They were actually putting down sod this morning in the parklet immediately adjacent to the National, which I believe is meant to be temporary until they put in the final hardscaping/etc. And agreed, that little parking lot on the north side would be much better served as something besides a parking lot (though it does get decent use for Clay Studio and other First Friday events). Put me down as someone who'd love to see a small apt bldg/large single family home there in lieu of another park.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:59 PM

I like the National. It's unique, quirky, and its color and design help break things up a bit.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:54 PM

I have been wondering for a long time about the property next to the new Pyramid Lofts (The dirty looking building across the street, looks like an old storage facility or something). I found this looking for information on it. It is between the building I was looking for information on and the newer apartment conversion "Eastern Lofts".

http://www.designprodev.com/the-garden-on-glenwood/

Still haven't found anything on the building next to it, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development