HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 5:50 PM

The "Corktowns"?

Signs just went up on site. This is currently a crappy convenience store.

I'm going to play it safe and assume this is all just a series of pretty pictures aimed at enticing an investor to buy the entire site and develop it. I do not think the current owner has true development intentions. But maybe I'm just a pessimist.

http://corktowns.ca/#!/home

I think the concept is great and I hope they prove my pessimism wrong. The only thing that doesn't excite me is the front parking, but all in all this is in line with the neighbourhood scale.

This google streetview image approximates the current state of this corner (the proposed development will face to the left in this view):

EDIT: the images from their site appear to not be working. Here are some I pulled from their PDF brochure:

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 6:08 PM

Nice if it happens!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 3:28 AM

Nice. That looks like what I would want to do with Blanshard Street (the weird alley/street behind Goodness Me on Locke).

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 1:20 PM

That's the residential format I'd like to see for all infill in the lower city.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 2:27 PM

THey claim to have deposits on 4 units already and to be starting in 7 months with completion fall 2013

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 2:38 PM

I did a quick look around on Google Maps (poor Corktown had them come round on garbage day) and saw that at Walnut/Augusta there is a building advertising the Augusta Lofts. Anything ever happen with that?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 4:46 PM

Augusta lofts was pure speculation. Nothing happened for a couple years and then the building (which had deteriorated further) went on the market for 4 or 5 times what the owner paid, based on the renderings (mls photos showed the renderings and not the actual building haha).

It looks like it's changed hands though - all the for sale signs are down and the grounds have been cleaned up and maintained. The previous owner was living in it for a while and the property was a total disgrace before.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 5:56 PM
Hammer'd

I think this will actually get built and be a fairly good success. Corktown is very up and coming and could probably support some nice infill like this. The close proximity of the GO station always helps.

Definitely a well fitting project that will blend in nicely with the surrounding area.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 1:47 AM

It's an interesting proposal for sure. I really hope that don't have parking right out front like that though. Move it around back if possible.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 3:14 PM

Something a little different. Wonder about the setback, though. Strikes me that the parking array in front will be fun for pedestrians – the sidewalk will basically have to double as a ramp for the entire frontage, and the southernmost unit may not even be allowed a parking spot because of the crosswalk.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 3:17 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Something a little different. Wonder about the setback, though. Strikes me that the parking array in front will be fun for pedestrians – the sidewalk will basically have to double as a ramp for the entire frontage, and the southernmost unit may not even be allowed a parking spot because of the crosswalk.
#8 looks like it might have parking in the back.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:46 PM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 7:34 PM
Hammer'd

"The heritage rich style "The Corktowns" offer includes comfortable New York style 3 storey townhomes w/rear parking and walkability advantages."

Wow. Private investment in downtown with a sales pitch towards walkability? Hamilton really is turning a corner.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 11:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Former musician bringing a little bit of Brooklyn to Corktown

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...yn-to-corktown

The native Hamiltonian was the bass player in Sven Gali, a Juno-nominated metal band whose debut album went gold.

He won an East Coast Music Award for a video he directed for Great Big Sea.

And now, he’s adding townhouse developer to his list of achievements.

His mentor is George Ross, the executive vice-president of the Trump Organization and Donald Trump’s adviser on The Apprentice television show.

Maher’s company is turning a variety store in the heart of Corktown into an eight-unit townhouse complex. Maher says the development at the corner of Young and Walnut streets will bring New York brownstone-style townhouses to Hamilton.

“I got all my ideas from travelling and Central Park and being in New York,” Maher said. “It’s going to be the first of anything like this in the Hamilton marketplace.”

Maher has already secured financing for the project and has sold five of the eight units. The three-storey, 1,400-square-foot townhouses have three bedrooms and three bathrooms each and start at $289,000 to $309,000.

Maher credits much of his success to Ross, his mentor. The pair met after being seated at the same table at a networking dinner in Toronto and hit it off. Ross is guiding Maher in his new line of work.

“I have the same adviser as Donald Trump, believe it or not — and I’m from Hamilton,” Maher says with a laugh. “George took a liking to me and believed in what I could do.”

Maher’s project is one of several high-profile housing developments in the works in central Hamilton. A $20-million, three-building condo has been proposed at the site of the Hamilton Cab headquarters on Charlton Avenue East, at the foot of the escarpment.

Developer Harry Stinson is also planning two condos: the Hamilton Grand building on the corner of John and Main, and the Stinson School lofts.

Stinson said the lofts are about 75 per cent sold — 55 of 75 units — and should be ready to move in by February.

The Hamilton Grand project calls for a $20-million, six-storey, 150-unit long-term stay hotel.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 11:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awesome! If I happen to miss the threads when this starts, PM me! I want to see what it looks like!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 6:33 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

As I said before...

Private.
Investment.
Awesome.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 8:01 PM

The prices for this development are actually very reasonable for the amount of space being offered. At $300,000 for a 3 bedroom, it is competitive with similar sized houses in the area. My house is the same size at 1400 square feet, and while it didn't cost that much, it isn't brand new either.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 9:56 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

The fact that they will be brownstown styled adds several thousand to the value. Brownstowns are rare in Canada and there is a few authentic ones in Corktown.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 3:28 PM

I spoke with the developer - the city has approved the setbacks. The parking will now go behind and it's only 7 units instead of 8. I'm trying to find out if they have new renderings

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 1:49 PM

Wicked news. Thanks for stickin' your nose in there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton