HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 12:53 AM
Great White Norf

seems to be rising fairly quickly now

How many units? It should bring some increased vitality right to the core of Hamilton

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 7:48 PM

Has worked here been stopped due to the labour dispute?

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 8:09 PM

given that the union on strike is literally LiUNA, I strongly suspect so.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 1:12 AM

Work has not stopped I don't think. That strike was for a different Local. Hamilton is independent from that one.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 3:21 AM
Burger Connoisseur

I walked past both Liuna projects downtown and the 10 Bay (Mac Residences) and I didn't see anyone working. All sites seemed very quiet.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Work has not stopped I don't think. That strike was for a different Local. Hamilton is independent from that one.
This is what I thought. Although perhaps some are still apart of the other union.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 4:47 AM

Took a pic from Undefined patio. Looks like they're on the 12th floor of the south building.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 8:09 PM

You are correct and the King street tower is barely visible from Sam Lawrence Park.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
You are correct and the King street tower is barely visible from Sam Lawrence Park.
Whoa, that courthouse building is much bigger than I thought. I never realized that it was the same building facing Gore Park. I guess I never go down John....

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Took a pic from Undefined patio. Looks like they're on the 12th floor of the south building.

Unrelated but that Absinthe patio should really just be opened up to the street.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
Unrelated but that Absinthe patio should really just be opened up to the street.
It's not really a typical patio though - they have live music there.
If anyone can just watch the live performances without buying drinks, etc. from them - they have no incentive to open it up.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:52 PM

Absinthe is moving:

https://urbanicity.com/hamilton/city...n-in-hamilton/

Perhaps whoever replaces them in the space will open the patio up to King William a bit more.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quasi-irrelevant now, but Absinthe is closed and moving to a new spot, so that's a problem for a future tenant.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Quasi-irrelevant now, but Absinthe is closed and moving to a new spot, so that's a problem for a future tenant.
All part of my fantasy RH / x Zellers redevelopment buy Core Urban... One can dream

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 10:13 PM

Zeddy Teddy and all?

Will be interesting to see. Have to imagine that's prime real estate on KW for someone, but then again, Wendel Clark's former locale has been vacant since before the start of the pandemic.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 8:45 PM

Quote:
The Operating Engineers union is also on strike, so the cranes and heavy equipment are sitting idle.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
The problem with the park was it was designed to please everyone and ended up pleasing none!
This park is the single largeset contributor to my pessimism about any new public project - never have I gotten so excited about something that should have been so simple to deliver on and been so completely dissapointed. We just needed greenspace and trees in the middle of a parking lot sea and somehow ended up with the least usable and inviting space I have ever come across.

I don't understand how I single person on that design committee could have looked at the final plans and envisioned people using let along enjoying in any capacity the park once it had been realized as it was laid out.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipedreams View Post
This park is the single largeset contributor to my pessimism about any new public project - never have I gotten so excited about something that should have been so simple to deliver on and been so completely dissapointed. We just needed greenspace and trees in the middle of a parking lot sea and somehow ended up with the least usable and inviting space I have ever come across.

I don't understand how I single person on that design committee could have looked at the final plans and envisioned people using let along enjoying in any capacity the park once it had been realized as it was laid out.
Personally, I was hoping for all grass with a X pathway (connecting all corners to the middle) with a fountain in the middle of the X and trees (Large transplanted ones) all around the outside!

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 11:06 PM

Part of the reason why the park is so uninviting right now is because of who is currently using it and how they are using it. It's basically an open drug scene at the moment. I can genuinely say I have never seen people actually using it for its intended purpose.

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Part of the reason why the park is so uninviting right now is because of who is currently using it and how they are using it. It's basically an open drug scene at the moment. I can genuinely say I have never seen people actually using it for its intended purpose.
I honestly don't think that's the reason. I lived on John at the time of the park opening, before anyone was using it as a campground and it was just a bland and bad design with no interesting features. It was immediately cold and uninviting. Other places that the homeless have set up camp like Central Park, and Gage, and where interesting figures regularly hang out like Gore and Victoria are all inviting, special places to spend time, read a book, meet a friend, or throw the frisbee. John/Rebecca park is just none of that. It feels like between nowhere and nowhere, and it has the design of an airport, forgettable and utilitarian.

It doesn't even have a good name. It exists solely because a dude wanted a park there or he wouldn't donate money toward it, and the city rushed and had idiot citizens design the park.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton