HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 11:50 PM

Couple more pieces of information: the developer (Tim Ralston) previously developed the Riverscape, on the former Terminal One South, just north of the Fremont Bridge. The architects for the project are GBD.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 2:45 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
...I do find it strange that there are so few opportunities to have a meal or drink a glass of wine facing the river.
The river is a tough spot for restaurants or retail.

I used to love going to McCall's back in the late 90s. Remember McCall's Waterfront Cafe, between the Salmon St Springs fountain and the Hawthorn bridge? If I'm not mistaken, that place went through multiple owners, constantly changing because nobody could figure out how to make it work.

At first glance, it would seem like the river is a great spot for a restaurant, but in reality, it's not close enough to businesses or shopping, so unless the weather was amazing and it wasn't a work hour... the place was always dead.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 8:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The river is a tough spot for restaurants or retail.

I used to love going to McCall's back in the late 90s. Remember McCall's Waterfront Cafe, between the Salmon St Springs fountain and the Hawthorn bridge? If I'm not mistaken, that place went through multiple owners, constantly changing because nobody could figure out how to make it work.

At first glance, it would seem like the river is a great spot for a restaurant, but in reality, it's not close enough to businesses or shopping, so unless the weather was amazing and it wasn't a work hour... the place was always dead.
Look at Vancouver Washington’s new waterfront that’s how you do it. Hopefully the new Riverplace development does this

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 8:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
What does our waterfront even offer? It’s so bland. Just concrete and grass. Yea we can have a few events on it in the summer but other than that what does it offer?

Like Macc said you hardly can even find anything there to do like eating and enjoying a glass of wine facing the river. I keep going back to Vancouver Washington because they did it so well.

At this point, it is what it is, all we can do now is hope riverplace new development is a homerun with this type of stuff
A space to walk and relax, especially on a nice day, it's a good place to get out of the urban context of downtown and enjoy the river, the views, and the space.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 9:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
A space to walk and relax, especially on a nice day, it's a good place to get out of the urban context of downtown and enjoy the river, the views, and the space.
I guess but it’s a lazy uncreative space

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
We get it, you've made your points clear

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
We get it, you've made your points clear
It’s all good though we have a chance to hit a home run with the new riverplace development

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
What does our waterfront even offer? It’s so bland. Just concrete and grass. Yea we can have a few events on it in the summer but other than that what does it offer?

Like Macc said you hardly can even find anything there to do like eating and enjoying a glass of wine facing the river. I keep going back to Vancouver Washington because they did it so well.

At this point, it is what it is, all we can do now is hope riverplace new development is a homerun with this type of stuff
Like I said, people do use the waterfront park, even when there are no events, and regardless of whether you think it is bland or not. People do like bland things - they paint walls white, go see the ocean, eat rice. Not everything has to be this:

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:04 AM
A before E

Quote:
It's a park. It does what parks do.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:21 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Look at Vancouver Washington’s new waterfront that’s how you do it. Hopefully the new Riverplace development does this
The ambitious proposal to redevelop part of Riverplace does not even reach the Willamette River embankment. The site is west of S. River Drive. The peaceful, labyrinthine South Waterfront Park lies between the proposed redevelopment site and the river. Wining and dining on the riverfront will need to happen elsewhere.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
The ambitious proposal to redevelop part of Riverplace does not even reach the Willamette River embankment. The site is west of S. River Drive. The peaceful, labyrinthine South Waterfront Park lies between the proposed redevelopment site and the river. Wining and dining on the riverfront will need to happen elsewhere.
Ahh damn just saw the redevelopment map again yea your right.. But I guess the stairs they want to design look nice

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 9:22 PM

Not much left of the old Mills buildings, hopefully they can find a developer to preserve what's left ASAP.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 4:21 PM

Centennial Mills

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:30 AM

The link says 'see attached drawings.' How do I access those?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:04 AM

There’s no way to see everything that was submitted other than through a public records request. There will be a Pre-Application Conference notice that will go out in the next few weeks or so though.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:33 AM

Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 11:44 PM

On Prosper Portland's agenda this Wednesday:

Quote:
Action Item: Authorizing the Terms of a Disposition and Development Agreement to Convey Approximately 4.4 Acres of Prosper Portland-Owned Property in the River District Tax Increment Finance District

Report 22-34
Resolution 7470

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:48 PM

[$] https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...-property.html

Quote:
Prosper Portland lowers its price in sale of decaying Centennial Mills property
Published: Dec. 13, 2022, 8:00 a.m.
By Kristine de Leon | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Prosper Portland commissioners are set to approve the sale of the 4.4-acre Centennial Mills property in Northwest Portland for $8.25 million — nearly $5 million less than it had initially planned.

Portland’s economic development agency plans to unload the waterfront former flour mill to Oregon-based developer MLR Ventures LLC for a private redevelopment. Prosper Portland previously negotiated a sale price of $13 million, a deal approved by the agency’s commissioners in November 2021. Now, though, it’s asking commissioners to cut the price by $4.75 million.

The agency says that’s in part because the developer has agreed to take on work that Prosper Portland would otherwise have paid for under the original agreement.

The new agreement also puts MLR Ventures responsible for the removal of roughly 750 wharf pilings located on adjacent land that’s currently leased from the Oregon Division of State Lands. Under the previous agreement, Prosper Portland was obligated to do the removal, which was estimated to cost about $1.5 million.

Prosper Portland said at this point it knows little of MLR Ventures’ plan for the site. The agency said the developer has indicated the plan could include a 17-story tower. It expects construction would begin within 10 years of closing on the sale.

The developer is not required to preserve the historic flour mill on the property, a stipulation that the city had maintained during negotiations with past developers. The developer will have to build a greenway path along the length of the property and meet the city’s inclusionary housing requirements with onsite affordable housing, if MLR Ventures decides to develop housing on the site.

(full article)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:49 PM

Nevermind - Mark beat me to it lol

Last edited by uncommon.name; Dec 13, 2022 at 4:50 PM. Reason: Duplicate article

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Three-building development planned for Centennial Mills as sale looms

Portland economic development officials are preparing to sell the riverfront Centennial Mills property to a developer who plans to turn it into three mixed-use buildings.

Prosper Portland's Board of Commissioners on Wednesday will consider a disposition and development agreement at a discounted purchase price of $8.25 million to MRL Ventures, falling from an earlier expected price of $13 million.

But in terms of the actual revenue to Prosper, the earlier proposal had it slated at around $11.5 million. That would fall to $9.75 million, or about $1.75 million less, under the new terms, agency records show.

Part of the price cut comes down to the private developer taking on work Prosper would have paid for in its earlier agreement, according to the Oregonian, which earlier reported on the Wednesday board proposal. Neither Prosper nor an MLR representative responded to requests from the Business Journal for comment.

The plan is to turn 1362 N.W. Naito Parkway into three mixed-use multifamily residential and retail buildings. Project officials plan to take the entire site through the design review process with one building fully designed, then take the other two buildings through the process separately, according to Dec. 1 records the Business Journal requested from the city.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland