HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It’s almost like you think VW will actually build that battery plant. Cute.
If you are talking about St Thomas, it's not a rumour, the foundation is being poured as we speak. This was the fastest start to construction after an announcement I have ever seen. Ford and Trudeau were downtown making the announcement and the heavy machinery was out in the field.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 10:03 PM

Hyundai and GM to work together on developing new cars

By Juliana Liu, CNN
Thu September 12, 2024

Hong Kong
CNN

Hyundai and General Motors (GM) have agreed to look for ways to work together on developing new vehicles, supply chains and technologies in an effort to cut costs and move more quickly.

Global carmakers are under intense pressure to come up with new electric vehicle (EV) and battery technology because they face vehicle emissions regulations around the world. Those research and development efforts could cost tens of billions of dollars.

They’re also facing an onslaught of potential competition from Chinese automakers, particularly EV producers, trying to export their lower-cost models overseas in order to escape a huge oversupply problem at home.

South Korea’s Hyundai and America’s GM (GM) said on Thursday they would collaborate on joint product development, manufacturing and future clean energy technologies. They plan to work together on internal combustion, clean-energy, electric and hydrogen vehicles.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/12/cars/...hnk/index.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
It’s almost like you think VW will actually build that battery plant. Cute.
It's almost like you have no clue what's happening in Southwestern Ontario cause you don't live anywhere close.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
If you are talking about St Thomas, it's not a rumour, the foundation is being poured as we speak. This was the fastest start to construction after an announcement I have ever seen. Ford and Trudeau were downtown making the announcement and the heavy machinery was out in the field.
Barring any hiccups, they are on track for 2027 opening, which is incredible for a megaproject of this size. I guess it's big for Canada, but maybe not for major battery OEMs.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
What does this have to do with your ignorance about the plant under construction? Also, VW going under is about as likely as Ford going under. Less so. Because VW is more important to Germany than Ford is to America.

You're also proving our point of why these companies need to be subsidized.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Barring any hiccups, they are on track for 2027 opening, which is incredible for a megaproject of this size. I guess it's big for Canada, but maybe not for major battery OEMs.
They might be pouring, and that's a very good sign, everything else is on hold. We were expecting the steel contract to be awarded in the spring, now it's a "maybe" for fall.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
The subsidies are there to help our industry. Because they underinvested for so long.
I think the tarriffs on Chinese imports and subsidies of our legacy OEMs should have an expiry date. For the sake of argument, let's say 2030. Our legacy OEMs should have 6 years to get their asses in gear; it's like a headstart to a race against a superior opponent. But you still have to run.

If we don't allow these to sunset, I fear our legacy OEMs will just be protected against their inferior products and we'll have an embarrassingly low EV penetration rate well into the future.

Or the Chinese will advance to the point where they manage to sell a profitable EV in North America that undercuts the price point of their Western competitors, even with a 100% tarriff slapped on them. Then what are we going to do? Slap a 200% tarriff on Chinese EVs?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I think the tarriffs on Chinese imports and subsidies of our legacy OEMs should have an expiry date. For the sake of argument, let's say 2030. Our legacy OEMs should have 6 years to get their asses in gear; it's like a headstart to a race against a superior opponent. But you still have to run.

If we don't allow these to sunset, I fear our legacy OEMs will just be protected against their inferior products and we'll have an embarrassingly low EV penetration rate well into the future.

Or the Chinese will advance to the point where they manage to sell a profitable EV in North America that undercuts the price point of their Western competitors, even with a 100% tarriff slapped on them. Then what are we going to do? Slap a 200% tarriff on Chinese EVs?
Well with Milk and cheese we do have a 200% tarriff. Foreign imports would very much be competitive with only a 100% tarriff.

As an aside why do people in Teslas drive so slow on the highway? Is it to save range or are they using autopilot so easier to stick in the right lane?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
They might be pouring, and that's a very good sign, everything else is on hold. We were expecting the steel contract to be awarded in the spring, now it's a "maybe" for fall.
It's normal. They will have to review and realign both opening and launch capacity given what's happening in Germany. And I suspect there might even be a view to politics in the US, before they decide on final capacity.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

No need for deadlines. The OEMs are already shitting themselves watching Chinese OEMs at home (till 2022 basically the 2nd or 3rd most profitable market for most legacy Western and Asian OEMs). Now they are watching some of those guys build plants in Europe while share in China erodes and these brands are expanding into lots of the same developing markets that were supposed to replace China.

You'll notice that VW, BMW, etc all came out against tariffs in Europe. Look at their sales in China. Those companies will be in trouble globally if sales in China went to zero.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Sep 17, 2024 at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 8:12 PM

Just another reminder what kind of person Tesla buyers support. This can't just be shrugged off:

The US Secret Service says it is "aware" of a social media post by Elon Musk in which he said that "no one is even trying" to assassinate President Joe Biden or Vice-President Kamala Harris.

Mr Musk has since deleted the post and said it was intended as a joke....

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c74882jq39vo

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Just another reminder what kind of person Tesla buyers support. This can't just be shrugged off:

The US Secret Service says it is "aware" of a social media post by Elon Musk in which he said that "no one is even trying" to assassinate President Joe Biden or Vice-President Kamala Harris.

Too late I already shrugged it off.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:11 AM

I saw in a Toronto paper today that Canadian carbon emissions are continuing to trend down and I wonder if the appearance of EVs is contributing to that?

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
I saw in a Toronto paper today that Canadian carbon emissions are continuing to trend down and I wonder if the appearance of EVs is contributing to that?
Every little bit helps. We are in this together and need to all do our part.

That said, large industrial users are the major contributors and with the help of the carbon tax and other measures they are aggressively moving as well.

We should not discount the contribution consumers are making. It is important and should be celebrated and encouraged.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:35 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

And what kind of person is that?

Crazies gonna be crazy, IMO.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada