British/American 13.2%
German 11%
Scandinavian 6.9%
Irish 6.3%

Washington

British/American 11.1%
German 6.6%
Irish 6.1%

Last edited by Docere; Nov 30, 2020 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I guess that depends on if you consider Poland to be Central or Eastern European .

Russians/Greeks/Serbs/Romanians/Moldovans/Ukrainians/Belorussians are all majority Orthodox. Croats/Slovaks/Slovenes/Hungarians/Lithuanians are majority-Catholic.

Of course Poles dominate all these groups.
It was pretty much all Poland at one point

I was thinking more about eastern European immigrant groups that have been here for a long time... Polish, Slovaks, Lituanians, Hungarians, Ukrainians, etc.... mainly Catholic in the US.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 11:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Eh, Eastern Europeans wouldn't fall under a WASP label either, I don't think. Unless by catholic you mean non-protestant.
If they are mixed and are 2nd generation American or higher, sure. I'm Italian, Polish, Irish and English but not catholic and I suspect I would still fall under the WASP label.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 11:25 PM

Cincinnati

German 23.3%
British/American 17%
Irish 7.6%

Milwaukee

German 27%
Polish 7.4%
British/American 5.3%
Irish 5.1%

St. Louis

German 22.4%
British/American 14%
Irish 7.4%

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 12:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ damn, the german triangle indeed!

i take it those are MSA numbers and not city proper, right?

and now i want some sauerbraten with spatzle and rotkohl.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 1:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

As per my research via Nicki Minaj, the biggest WAP city is Miami.

The least WAP city? Probably some bible study town in Kansas.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 1:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The Northeast US is certainly very Catholic, but it is also the very epicenter of WASP culture.

Old money, Ivy League, country clubs, Wall Street, "society", elite private boarding schools, and dudes with first names like Whitaker or Goodman...etc. etc.

This.

The NE US is not even close to being majority WASP, as they're only a small percentage of the population at this point, but the whole regional culture (at least for white people of all origins) is very WASP-normative as you say. People of all origins going along with it, or at least its contemporary incarnation. (Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it's Plymouth Mass. in 1642.)

For someone from a place where lapsed Latin Catholicism exists in a purer form and is fairly dominant, it's fascinating to see the WASP-influenced (relative) conservatism of, say, Italian-Americans in NE on social matters like booze, dress, etc.

Multiply that by 100 when you compare it to a place like present-day Italy.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ damn, the german triangle indeed!

i take it those are MSA numbers and not city proper, right?

and now i want some sauerbraten with spatzle and rotkohl.
Yes they are - all MSAs.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 1:56 AM

But interesting to note the difference between the upper German Triangle (Milwaukee) from the lower.

British Isles ancestry is quite rare in Wisconsin and Minnesota but pretty common in the lower Midwest.

Also, note that high German ancestry is one thing that all the Midwest has in common. Whether it's in the river cities, Great Lakes cities, the corn belt or the Great Plains. The Midwest (and Pennsylvania) stand out.

Last edited by Docere; Nov 29, 2020 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:31 AM

Italian Americans, even though they're pretty much "made it" in America, are quite under-represented in the "establishmentarian" circles of the Northeast, given their numbers there. Certainly less so than Jews and Irish Americans (and increasingly Asians).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post

Also, note that high German ancestry is one thing that all the Midwest has in common. Whether it's in the river cities, Great Lakes cities, the corn belt or the Great Plains. The Midwest (and Pennsylvania) stand out.
New York, too

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This.

The NE US is not even close to being majority WASP, as they're only a small percentage of the population at this point, but the whole regional culture (at least for white people of all origins) is very WASP-normative as you say. People of all origins going along with it, or at least its contemporary incarnation. (Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it's Plymouth Mass. in 1642.)

For someone from a place where lapsed Latin Catholicism exists in a purer form and is fairly dominant, it's fascinating to see the WASP-influenced (relative) conservatism of, say, Italian-Americans in NE on social matters like booze, dress, etc.

Multiply that by 100 when you compare it to a place like present-day Italy.
This is pretty spot-on. The New England Catholic Irish in particular essentially supplanted the English as the region's WASP elite by the 1890s. We may all be Catholic/catholic/Cathnostic, but preppy New England (white) culture is as WASP-y as it gets - at least on the coast. Inland is a bit different. Vermont isn't fully "New England" in this regard.

Utah has far more English Protestants than Mass or CT do, but Coastal New England is still way more WASP-y.

As for the least WASP-y metro in the country, it's gotta be Honolulu or San Juan, no?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 9:31 AM

In the continental US, I would guess that it would be either Los Angeles or Miami. Both have very large non-white populations and have been settled more recently than some of the older cities.

In the US as a whole, I would guess that it would be Honolulu, though I have never been.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
This is pretty spot-on. The New England Catholic Irish in particular essentially supplanted the English as the region's WASP elite by the 1890s. We may all be Catholic/catholic/Cathnostic, but preppy New England (white) culture is as WASP-y as it gets - at least on the coast. Inland is a bit different. Vermont isn't fully "New England" in this regard.
White Catholics:

Boston 24%
Chicago 22%
Philadelphia 22%
New York 19%

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/

Given how much whiter Boston is - and its white ethnic composition - you'd expect it to be well ahead of the others in terms of the % of white Catholics.

People with no religion (34%) actually outnumber Catholics (29%) in metro Boston, and it looks more "West Coast" like now in terms of irreligiosity than the other big northern cities.

That's quite the sea change. Boston was probably the most Catholic city in America at one time.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Never liked this acronym

Seems pejorative, for such a high achieving , inventive , socially and culturally fundamental group of Americans

Anyhow ,

Boston
Stamford
New haven
Greenwich / Fairfield county

Philadelphia is Quaker
New York is Jewish
Baltimore is catholic
Dc is episcopal
there is no way you can still say Philadelphia is Quaker. It was true over 300 years ago, but now there are fewer than 10,000 in a city of over 1.5 million. they were instrumental in forming the city's early identity, but you couldn't say the city has stayed with that identity.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:04 PM

Miami is probably the least WASPy city that I've experienced.

Most white people in Miami are Hispanic and thus, clearly not Anglo-Saxon... and the majority are Catholic, though there are sizeable numbers of Protestant Hispanics as well. Most other white people seem to be Jews, Europeans, or tourists. The preppy white crowd doesn't really fit in.

Miami has WASPy beginnings, and long served as a wintering retreat for a WASPy crowd from the north, but that hasn't been prevalent since the white glory days of the 1950s.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
there is no way you can still say Philadelphia is Quaker. It was true over 300 years ago, but now there are fewer than 10,000 in a city of over 1.5 million. they were instrumental in forming the city's early identity, but you couldn't say the city has stayed with that identity.
That "Pennsylvania Quaker Conservatism" still runs deep throughout the state though, originating in, and emanating from Philadelphia to this day.

Sure, things have certainly changed over the centuries, but there is a social equality identity (at least in theory, if not in full practice) that originated in Philly. The focus on diversity within the collective, the common good, the lack of ostentation, the value placed on labor and trades... there's a reason organized labor has its origins in Pennsylvania dating to the early 1700s.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Never liked this acronym

Seems pejorative, for such a high achieving , inventive , socially and culturally fundamental group of Americans
Fuck this bullshit. They had the money from the jump -- that's why they have been so "high achieving , inventive , socially and culturally fundamental"

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Does anyone know how close we are to the inflection point when latino catholics outnumber non-latino catholics in the US?

Chicago has a long and strong european-immigrant catholic heritage (irish, poles, italians, and a large percentage of the germans as well), but the huge influx of mexican catholic immigrants over the past handful of decades has kept many chicago parishes alive that would've otherwise closed.

I'm sure that phenomenon is not unique among the big catholic cities.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 29, 2020 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
White Catholics:

Boston 24%
Chicago 22%
Philadelphia 22%
New York 19%
% of NHWs that are Catholic:

Chicago 41%
New York 40%
Philadelphia 35%
Boston 33%

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions