HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:25 PM
TL;DR

Eco18 was a pretty ugly pair of PoMo boxes. A lot better than an auto repair place, but Michigan and State were always destined to be the primary streets while Wabash is okay for more unsightly uses.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Oh I love building permit data. Here's another one. One got approved the other day for a 4 story, 72 room "type I-C hotel" in Chinatown at 253 W Cermak complete with ground floor commercial. I think that is an empty lot but not sure..

I few drawings of some street level stuff:
http://councilmatic.opencityapps.org...lation/1345746
Love it. Would love more details.

Also in Chinatown, any news, site plans, or renderings for the new library that is going to be built at the intersection of Archer/Wentworth? Shame the 6 story mixed use building (see below) will not happen, but hopefully what does get built won't be a piece of junk rectangular building on a triangular lot surrounded by parking.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post

Also in Chinatown, any news, site plans, or renderings for the new library that is going to be built at the intersection of Archer/Wentworth? Shame the 6 story mixed use building (see below) will not happen, but hopefully what does get built won't be a piece of junk rectangular building on a triangular lot surrounded by parking.
The RFQ called for something in the 2-3 story range for that site. Library only. No commercial component. It looks like JGMA was either shortlisted or selected for that project.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Same here. It says the owner is "Chicago America Real Estate LLC." I would love to see Chinatown get bigger. I have a hunch in part this has to do with plans for the new arena (DePaul) not terribly far away and Motor Row. Seems like one of those "You can stay 1/2 mile away and be in the middle of Chinatown" type of thing although they have a hotel there already and another on the edge..the one in Chinatown itself isn't advertised too much I don't think.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 9:11 PM

Quote:
I also noticed that this was approved a few weeks ago to start doing foundation work:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...avenswood.html

Alright, now it's news ;-) LOL
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ation-work.php

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 6:48 AM

Quote:
All this demand for new apartments and at a metra station.....and it's only 3 stories.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 12:40 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
All this demand for new apartments and at a metra station.....and it's only 3 stories.
I think there is far too much focus here on height.

Yes, it's 3 stories, but it's a reasonably dense project nonetheless. Certainly more typical for Chicago neighborhoods.

Besides, we are talking about a Metra station here, not an L stop

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 3:59 PM

yea, it could be denser. But the Ravenswood development would be about 5 units per standard city lot. So, this is denser than an average street with just 3 flats and single family homes. Considering there are lots of single family homes in the area this is a big increase in density. I'm just thankful they didn't decide to just go with 30 townhomes, which is what the NIMBYs in the area would have wanted.

Plus, a new Marianos grocery store, gym, and sears auto center. I can't wait to be able to go to that Marianos!

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 4:49 PM
dream fast

Renovation of The Wrigley Building outdoor plaza plods along, maybe 70% - 80% there...

Last edited by george; May 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:58 PM

Here's a few interesting things I noticed

1) Northeastern Illinois' new building at 3390 N Avondale was granted a $22 million building permit on 5/20. It looks like they added 5000 sq feet to the plan for a total of 60,000 sq feet. Also calls for 200 parking spaces (does not specify if surface or a garage or both). The thing is, this broke ground in November of 2012. I wonder what the hold up was?

http://www.neiu.edu/About%20NEIU/NEI...dbreaking.html

2) 1041 W Madison looks to have a new 4 story retail building constructed with 3 new apartment units sometime in the near future (probably). This is not far away from the new 216 unit apartment complex at Madison & Racine that just broke ground yesterday.

It appears Smitten Boutique is in this space right now. Perhaps the owners are going to tear it down to build a new, larger building with more income space for themselves (i.e. rental units).

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 1:05 AM

Quote:
1) Northeastern Illinois' new building at 3390 N Avondale was granted a $22 million building permit on 5/20. It looks like they added 5000 sq feet to the plan for a total of 60,000 sq feet. Also calls for 200 parking spaces (does not specify if surface or a garage or both). The thing is, this broke ground in November of 2012. I wonder what the hold up was?
I am so excited for this!!!!!

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I am so excited for this!!!!!
Yeah, JGMA project which looks pretty cool. It should add something really cool for people passing on the freeway too. I wonder if NEIU plans to create any new housing in the area for the school too or just the school building?

The location also changed from the original one. It was originally supposed to be right on the Belmont Blue Line but not anymore. It's about a quarter mile north of that CTA stop now, which is still OK I'm sure but not nearly as good as right on the stop.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 5:57 PM
The City

^ I didn't know that, sorry about the loss of TOD but it will make a dramatic statement on the Kennedy nonetheless.

Your updates are appreciated, Marothisu. It's always good to have sleuthers around these forums. These forums are made up of 4 categories of people:

1. Douche bags who are annoying and quickly get banned
2. Sleuthers like you and Spyguy
3. People who take lots of photos and share them like Harryc, George, JM Tungsten
4. People who comment and whine (albeit usually intelligently unlike category #1) about it all

(There are also hybrids--people who fall into more than one category)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 6:06 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I didn't know that, sorry about the loss of TOD but it will make a dramatic statement on the Kennedy nonetheless.

Your updates are appreciated, Marothisu. It's always good to have sleuthers around these forums. These forums are made up of 4 categories of people:

1. Douche bags who are annoying and quickly get banned
2. Sleuthers like you and Spyguy
3. People who take lots of photos and share them like Harryc, George, JM Tungsten
4. People who comment and whine (albeit usually intelligently unlike category #1) about it all

(There are also hybrids--people who fall into more than one category)
All I know is that I'm glad I'm not in category 1.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 6:21 PM

Chicago's Population Sees Growth for Second Year in a Row

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...econd-year-row

Despite the good news, I wish the growth rate was higher. If we had Houston's growth trajectory, we would be over 3 million by 2020.

Last edited by Justin_Chicago; May 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 6:50 PM

I want 1950 again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Chicago's Population Sees Growth for Second Year in a Row

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...econd-year-row

Despite the good news, I wish the growth rate was higher. If we had Houston's growth trajectory, we would be over 3 million by 2020.
We really need a massive influx!

It really depresses me that we should be over 5 million people by now and instead we are at basically half of that.

we really need to encourage a bigger tech boom. Bring jobs, bring people, bring money.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 6:59 PM

^Well that ain't gonna happen so. . . seek therapy???

. . .

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post

. . .
Never say never...anything is possible...and why is it so far fetched to think Chicago can have a huge population turn around?

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 7:09 PM

It's not impossible but the odds are stacked against us. I think the west coast in particular still views Chicago as more of a flyover place. It's all about marketing and getting the word out as to how awesome the city is. Tech is mostly on the west coast and having moved from the west after visiting here a few times, I fully understand the need to market the city in a more effective and bigger way.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 7:17 PM

What about this thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post

. . .
1. Oh come on, that's a shitty attitude...

2. The Dominick's off Milwaukee in Wicker park.... Someone needs to build a massive development in place of its large and primely located parking lot (that incorporates underground parking and direct access to Dominick's) of nice, but very small and affordable, basic units for young proffesionals.

One of the reasons we arent growing fast enough is because there is not enough available housing that is actually realistic to much of the new generation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development