HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:58 AM
TL;DR

is that the building with the head shop in it?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 5:24 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I've passed by and haven't see anything recently. Are they still planning to build at Division and Larrabee?
Yep. It was always planned for a 2013 opening, and as far as I know it's still on track. My only question was whether it's planned for a summer or fall opening. I'm not positive, but I believe the former. If the latter, it might be as long as three months or so until site prep work begins...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yep. It was always planned for a 2013 opening, and as far as I know it's still on track. My only question was whether it's planned for a summer or fall opening. I'm not positive, but I believe the former. If the latter, it might be as long as three months or so until site prep work begins...
Just wanted to say I got a close up look at the West loop Target. The corner is nice, and the ground level parking is reasonably concealed though I still wish there could be some liner retail. It would benefit Division St in this case with maybe a bank, dry cleaners, or some other service retail at ground level.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 9:25 PM
dream fast

8-1
Burberry

A few reflective window like panels to start filling-in-the-gaps.

Last edited by george; Aug 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 9:36 PM

^^^ cooool

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 9:42 PM
Windy City Dan

It's too bad that some of the sections of the Burberry tartan pattern aren't actually windows. That perhaps would have made for an interesting interior, not to mention what it would have looked like at night, lit from within. And now that you mention it, does anyone know what their lighting scheme is going to be for this? IIRC the advertising has been forbidden from being back lit, so this will the new Burberry store just be an unlit monolith (albeit shiny) at night?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post

It's too bad that some of the sections of the Burberry tartan pattern aren't actually windows. That perhaps would have made for an interesting interior, not to mention what it would have looked like at night, lit from within. And now that you mention it, does anyone know what their lighting scheme is going to be for this? IIRC the advertising has been forbidden from being back lit, so this will the new Burberry store just be an unlit monolith (albeit shiny) at night?
I think signage can be backlit. It's already permissible and done all over Michigan Avenue.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 10:40 PM

The window idea is fantastic! That would be so interesting from the street level; to see sporadic, diamond patterned, windows at various levels along the facade.

The "shiny at night" glass idea would be kind of cool too.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 10:46 PM
dream fast

8-1

Columbia College

Not sure how successful this frit pattern glass is working out.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Haha! That's awesome!!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 11:18 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I think signage can be backlit. It's already permissible and done all over Michigan Avenue.
I thought for some reason someone was making a big stink about the signage being back lit, and in the end Burberry bowed to neighborhood pressure, no? It's entirely possible I'm remembering incorrectly. I know, according to the recent proposal (passed?) that signs can't animate, a la Times Square, but can be backlit, which got me thinking about what this meant for Burberry.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 12:49 AM

George that first Burberry shots is great - I may borrow your composition.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 5:45 AM

Quote:
I thought for some reason someone was making a big stink about the signage being back lit, and in the end Burberry bowed to neighborhood pressure, no? It's entirely possible I'm remembering incorrectly. I know, according to the recent proposal (passed?) that signs can't animate, a la Times Square, but can be backlit, which got me thinking about what this meant for Burberry.
The signage restrictions on Michigan Avenue aren't all that stringent when it comes to style of the sign. Digital changing signage is banned and exposed neon tubes. Other than that, the size and projection over public way is really the only things heavily regulated. And the formula used to determine the size would have allowed Burberry to construct a very large sign. Or if you recall, borders used the formula to their advantage to create a ton of smaller signs that they could place all over the building.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Burberry's standard format would have placed a four story LED video screen facing Michigan, not a back-lit sign. That design was rejected, and a four story window of the same size was the substitute (actually in between there was a version with no fenestration or other features facing Michigan above the first floor).

Since they have been framing walls immediately behind this window on most floors, it appears that it will be used for displays. These will of course be lit at night, so it won't be completely dark. The recent proposal doesn't apply to Burberry even if it does pass because the signs can only be installed on retail centers with a certain number tenants (a minimum of 10 if I remember right).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 4:22 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
George that first Burberry shots is great - I may borrow your composition.
Thanks harry, by all means borrow.

8-1
SCB's Roosevelt Goodman Center

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 6:33 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
8-1

Columbia College

Not sure how successful this frit pattern glass is working out.

I have to say, I think this is looking fantastic!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 12:49 AM
TL;DR

Eh... The rough brick, concrete, and plywood can be seen through the curtain wall. It's really distracting from the ghost-building effect. I hope Columbia fixes this.

I do like the growing trend emerging in Chicago of using frits in innovative ways.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 3:10 AM
BANNED

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ecision-to.php

Construction Draws Near For Northerly Island Makeover

Thursday, August 2, 2012, by Kevin Dickert

... Enter Jeanne Gang of Studio Gang Architects, who was brought in to provide a new vision for the park. Her firm worked with JJR, a landscape architect firm, to draft the Northerly Island Framework Plan that calls for, among other things, six ecosystems and a deep-water lagoon. Now, it appears that Northerly Island may finally be getting its long-awaited makeover. Chicago Journal is reporting that the first phase of construction on the southern portion of the island could begin as early as fall, and is expected to take two years to complete--with an additional three years needed for the foliage to mature. The cost: $6.65M, to be paid for with federal grant money and $1.5M in park district funds.

Renders in links below

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...hp#northerly-1

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northe...type=1&theater

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Eh... The rough brick, concrete, and plywood can be seen through the curtain wall. It's really distracting from the ghost-building effect. I hope Columbia fixes this.

I do like the growing trend emerging in Chicago of using frits in innovative ways.
It will be shadowboxed later. The plywood will go away.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hopefully someone at some point also notices that two of the panels have been flipped over the far left window on the third floor...

Chances are they probably already have, but one has to wonder how anyone could mess up the pattern at that particular spot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development