HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 5:44 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I hope that these rental bikes have to be returned to a station.

My experience in Seattle with Lime bike is that bikes and e scooters litter the streets. You can roughly tell how bad a part of town you are in by the number of abandoned rental bikes that are strewn across the sidewalk / park.

It is a real scourge.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 6:59 PM

You are being charged by the minute for the bike rental. So it's in your best interest to return it! Not sure how it works on the $20 monthly pass.

I didn't see any issues with the bikes while in Montreal. They were everywhere. People were on the app, walked up to the bike and scanned the QR code, and the bike unblocked. To bring it back, just wheel in into the stall and you're done.

Probably better for the bikes thread..

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
You are being charged by the minute for the bike rental. So it's in your best interest to return it! Not sure how it works on the $20 monthly pass.

I live in Montreal and ride Bixi.

On a monthly / season pass, you pay once. And then whenever you ride, you get 40 minutes free to get your bike to another dock and lock it. After that you start to get charged a small amount each minute you go over.

If you accidentally (or on purpose) didn't bring a bike back for a full day, you'd already be at $60 or so of late fees. Automatically billed to your credit card.

That's because the whole concept is to keep the bikes moving, so they are always available, and never being used for more than a Point A to Point B journey.

Regarding bike theft, it's really not an issue. The bikes are securely locked, I've never seen anyone unlock one without the app. And at that point, you're signed in. I guess someone could push someone off a Bixi and then try to steal it for themselves. But still... Bixi, the company, knows by GPS where all the bikes are. And the bikes themselves are sort of shitty. They are heavier than normal bikes and don't have the same design. I'm sure this is intentional to stop bike theft or them being chopped up for stolen parts.

Long story short - it's a great, affordable way to promote biking in the city. Enthusiast cyclists will still want real bikes because Bixi sort of sucks. But for casually cruising around town, and having the convenience of leaving the bike at any station you want - Bixi can't be beat.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 7:18 PM

Thanks for the info! The electric bikes definitely help with some of the hills you may need to overcome. Bikes are definitely not for racing or anything, and are good for casual/daily rides from point to point. As you mentioned. If you are an enthusiast, you will have your own bike.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 7:19 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
All that sprawl hurts my eyes.

They missed out on adding bike lanes to Transcona BLVD even though there is a stupid amount of space to add some. It would’ve connected to Peguis and Transcona Trail so well.

Also, do we just not plant trees anymore in these new subdivisions?
Transcona Blvd, one of those poorly designed streets that is signed at 50km/h but clearly designed for much faster travel. If there was a school or park anywhere along the length I can bet you dollars to donuts they would have a photo enforcement out there every single day, like by Provencher Park or King's School.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 8:55 PM

The difference between Lime bikes/scooters and Bixi (or Citibike in NYC or Bike Share Toronto) is that the latter use fixed docking stations, whereas Lime doesn't, they just have a locking device in them activated with an app. The point is that you don't have to return them to a specific place, you just take them to your destination and leave it there for the next person, but as a result, they just sort of litter the sidewalks everywhere. Definitely think the docking stations are the better option.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:59 PM

Being that there's a Gimli thread now, in Winnipeg construction, any progress on the Brebeuf project? I haven't been out that way in a while.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 10:57 PM

So, do we believe or trust that Sutton Hotel will ever resume in this lifetime? Or is it a goner like 300 St Mary Ave and time to have it on the bidding block?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
So, do we believe or trust that Sutton Hotel will ever resume in this lifetime? Or is it a goner like 300 St Mary Ave and time to have it on the bidding block?
I was literally just thinking about this.. as well as the Railside development..

Anyone have any insider news about either of these projects??

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 1:53 PM

Too bad the Sutton Place didn't get a few storeys off the ground, it could have been like Winnipeg's own Ryugyong Hotel, left unfinished...

It seems to me that the hotel market has bounced back reasonably well post-covid... prices in other cities seem higher compared to before the pandemic. Not sure how Winnipeg fares in that regard, though. Maybe interest rates have hurt the feasibility of the project? But you'd think with all the money spent on it so far, that finishing the job wouldn't seem that far fetched. I'd love to see it happen.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 9:33 PM
surely you agree with me

The little corner store on Garry has been leased. Tough to tell what’s being built. Looks like new mechanical. Is that a fireplace? Maybe a restaurant?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 2:27 PM
What could go wrong?

What are those things on the left…some kind of teleportation device maybe?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
What are those things on the left…some kind of teleportation device maybe?
Being a C Store it looks like it could be the remains of the sliding curtain / night lockup area for the cigarette sales area

Or Biff as you suggest a high tech portal to an advanced dimension

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 9:08 PM
surely you agree with me

not so fun fact: the tower at Donald and St. Mary would be on floor 11 this week if it hadn't gone bankrupt.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 9:08 PM

I took a stroll down most of the length of Wellington Cres last week and I was surprised by the number of homes under construction. Probably over a dozen by my count, not including the 10 plus homes the Unitarians are going to be constructing on the site of their original buildings. It looks like a tight fit between the street and the river bank. There will be 2 rows of houses with a street running between them.

Also during my walk I saw a picture of a house to-be constructed on Oak St in River Heights which is presently occupied by a dilapidated single family bungalow. Property looks like it's barely over 30 feet wide. The new house will be 3 stories, 3000 square feet, feature two outdoor patios, including the rooftop, outdoor kitchen and an elevator. It can be had for the princely sum of $1.8 million.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 9:23 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I took a stroll down most of the length of Wellington Cres last week and I was surprised by the number of homes under construction. Probably over a dozen by my count, not including the 10 plus homes the Unitarians are going to be constructing on the site of their original buildings. It looks like a tight fit between the street and the river bank. There will be 2 rows of houses with a street running between them.

Also during my walk I saw a picture of a house to-be constructed on Oak St in River Heights which is presently occupied by a dilapidated single family bungalow. Property looks like it's barely over 30 feet wide. The new house will be 3 stories, 3000 square feet, feature two outdoor patios, including the rooftop, outdoor kitchen and an elevator. It can be had for the princely sum of $1.8 million.
What block of Oak? Grew up on that street.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 9:23 PM

As much of our housing stock surpasses the century mark with not every house a suitable candidate for renovation, infill housing will likely be a booming business in the years ahead.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 9:26 PM

Quote:

I'm in that neighbourhood so trust me, I know there's a lot of new builds, but you have to wonder at the wisdom of dropping $2 M on a property when there aren't even many $1 M properties near you.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-heights-north

Street View:
https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...1&Currency=CAD

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 9:30 PM

Quote:

I notice on realtors.ca there are a number of these 'homers to be built'. They show fancy pictures. But it is up to you to work with the builder to design the home. Maybe this is one of those cases?? Nobody would typically build a $1.8million home in Winnipeg with the intention of selling it. (the proper name escapes me right now, something like stock home).

Edit: I see the posting and it's a to be built thing. May never happen.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
I'm in that neighbourhood so trust me, I know there's a lot of new builds, but you have to wonder at the wisdom of dropping $2 M on a property when there aren't even many $1 M properties near you.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-heights-north

Street View:
https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...1&Currency=CAD
Makes sense if you're in the market for a high-end home. The reality is that the selection of those kinds of properties is relatively small here, so you either wait heaven knows how long for one to come up on the market, or you buy a tear-down and build what you want.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan