HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=ThreeHundred;4202838]Apparently, the world must mean Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Toronto.

Some of my personal favorites.

San Diego

bestgesture

San Diego Shooter

Melbourne

mugley

mugley

Love the SD and Melbourne shots!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:57 AM

I'm starting to see people posting skylines that are mainly their top, but not their night skyline top.
Really, night skyline is sometimes based on the right amount of light, the right colors, and/or the OVERALL of buildings that are lit up in the city.
Good night skylines should have about 50%-80% of their buildings lit up, and VISIBLE.
Sometimes, you have to know mountains or beautiful architecture can't be seen at night.
Examples are such as Atlanta, Dallas, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Singapore, Las Vegas, etc.
Since I am so familiar with LA, Downtown has about 22 tall skyscrapers. About 10% of them are majorly lit up, and the others are ALSO lit up, but only their signs are.
Others like 801 are lit up recognizably. Walt Disney and Staples Center/LA Live are nicely lit up. LA's light really match together. Really, LA's skyline is very blue at night

For those who say Hong Kong is so circus-like, or flashy, then you must view the skyline from the west side of the skyline to the east. Not too much buildings are lit but it's a great amount.

Las Vegas is also nicely lit up. Not too flashy like Hong Kong. I love Las Vegas. It has every light colors. AND it's about the WHOLE building being lit up, not just partial. One thing: Neon Light. Las Vegas don't really have neon.

I like Atlanta. Atlanta is beautifully lit up because their decorations is a piece of art and can still be seen at night Since I'm not really familiar with this, then there's not much to talk about.

Singapore is nice too! I see like 80% of the buildings being lit up. I mean, NICELY being lit up. And it's very visible!

I don't see much about Chicago nor New York. New York's lights are hardly seen, and only partially, but not much. Only a part of a skyline could be seen in lights. I think NY looks good at night from a helicopter. Times Square is a nice place. Not a skyline tho. O.o
Chicago is lit up but hardly recognizable. Aon Center and that daimond-shape building is lit pretty cool. Sears Tower only lit up the antenna... and it's the tallest building in the world... and it's not lit up that great?
Chicago needs more lightning. I thought Chicago is modern and classical... why doesn't it have modern lights? Chicago and New York are day skylines, in my opinion. I would rather put them in the lower top 15's.
They have a lot of lights... but in some in angle, it is hardly seen. Considerate the OVERALL amount of buildings in NY and Chicago and only few could be seen lit up. They look fantastic during the morning... and sunset.

EDIT:
Vancouver has an amazing skyline.
Just telling, I don't care if the city is full of residential buildings or office buildings.
I just care if it gives me a feeling. Chicago and NY don't.
Anyways, the reason why I think Vancouver's skyline is so amazing is because it is so "dead" looking.
Like the way I think LA looks so "gang" looking.
Vancouver's skyline gives me the feeling that I am looking at the last city standing on Earth, ready to be destroyed by a tornado! I remember I saw a picture of Vancouver here that's amazing.

Last edited by XLucky4LifeX; May 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:55 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I think that we should first define "best" because to me many of these skylines aren't "best" but rather impressive.

To me, best means that the skyline looks amazing. There's something about it that makes it look great, even if the buildings aren't lit up all the way. The skyline also doesn't have to be big. The skyline should also have a "flow" to it or an "unorganized pattern". For example, San Diego does have a "best" skyline because it draws the eye into the city even though it doesn't have flashy lights or tall skyscrapers. Chicago also has a "best" skyline but on a bigger proportion because the skyline flows from all directions. Houston, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Canary Wharf, Singapore, Sydney, Los Angeles are some examples of "best" quality.

Impressive is wayyyy different that "best". Impressive can be cities like NY or La Vegas who show off everything they got or have a mass amount of buildings. New York isn't a "best" skyline because it's not well balanced but it is impressive because of the architecture and the amount of skyscrapers. Las Vegas also doesn't "flow" but I think it's impressive. And while those pano's of Melbourne are amazing, they're not "best" quality to me but rather impressive. La Defense, Mexico City, San Francisco, Dubai, Tokyo, Atlanta are some examples of impressive but not "best" [looking] skylines out there.

Then there's cities like Hong Kong who are both. Hong Kong is balanced from many angels while showing off everything it has. Pudong is the same. And actually, I think NY also has both "best" and impressive. But it's separated. Upper Manhattan is only impressive in my opinion. While Lower Manhattan is both impressive and "best" looking. New York as a whole has an impressive skyline but not the best. The same for Shanghai. The entire skyline[s] is impressive but only Pudong is both impressive and best in my opinion.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 9:27 PM

THESES PICTURES ARE NOT MINEEEEEEEEE
NO NO NO NO NO

I was born in this city...

Moved to this city... (Credit: By Me)

And now, we moved to California... and this is my city's skyline... AND the only building. (Credit: By Me)

Yet, this city is part of this city's greater area.

I love going to this city though. Though I went there once, my closest friends go here.

Yet, we came back here:

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Watch this Night Skyline vid of Los Angeles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEGeb...eature=related

Last edited by XLucky4LifeX; May 3, 2009 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Vancouver
has an amazing skyline.
Just telling, I don't care if the city is full of residential buildings or office buildings.
I just care if it gives me a feeling. Chicago and NY don't.
Anyways, the reason why I think Vancouver's skyline is so amazing is because it is so "dead" looking.
Like the way I think LA looks so "gang" looking.
Vancouver's skyline gives me the feeling that I am looking at the last city standing on Earth, ready to be destroyed by a tornado! I remember I saw a picture of Vancouver here that's amazing.
I'm confused. What do you mean by "dead"?

Anyway a couple of awesome recent aerials of Vancouver.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 3:48 AM

[QUOTE=vanman;4230224]I'm confused. What do you mean by "dead"?

Sorry for getting you confused.
I saw a couple picture of Vancouver skylines at sunset and for some reason, I get the feeling that I'm in a city of where zombies are gonna jump out.
Or another word I can think of... "haunted".
Maybe I'll be the first one to develop something like "The Feeling A Skyline Gives"
Sometimes, if you look at LA sunset pictures, with every building darkened, it gives me the feeling of "danger".

Chicago and NY ain't my type. Everytime I look at them, it gives me the feeling of "sleepiness". A city with too much buildings with so many random buildings... bleh, not really good.
I think you have to be very in to it to get a feeling.

Ok now for my own post:
I don't get how NY makes it to the top. I mean, just because NY have a lot of buildings? Cities like LA doesn't even have over 30 skyscrapers and their skyline is lit up more recognizably...
NY is so plain when I look at it. White and yellow is "beautiful"?

Chicago is pretty at some angle. But people never change the angle of Chicago's skyline, making it WAY too boring. The Trump Tower, over 1000 ft, is still unrecognizable in Chicago's skyline. I've seen a couple skylines of Chicago from other angles. Hopefully, somebody could upload night photos of Chicago from OTHER angles. I had NEVER seen one before because its so rare.

LA isn't my true favorite but ONE of my favorite.
The reason why is because it doesn't need hundreds of buildings like NY to look good at night. The buildings all lit in nice colors. It doesn't even NEED spires to look good. Changing angles are the most important things to inspire people. Chicago doesn't even show off their other angles that much. -O-
At some angles, LA look like they have signs everywhere. At other angles, all the major lights are shown. All the red-dotted lights on top of the building makes LA look more of a transportation skyline.
Did I just say transportation? Yup!
LA's skyline look gangsta-ish to me, techno, a game, and a transportation city like how it really is. I mean, the skyline REALLY match with the city. When I think of New York, I think of a city of the future. Sadly, NY is all about the past, to me it is.
Others are Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.
Why? Singapore and Shanghai both have a skyline as small as LA's that are FOCUSED on and the OVERALL of the buildings are lit up.
Hong Kong, unbelievably the city where I was born... their buildings aren't CRAP, RANDOM, and STUPID.
Almost EVERY building in Hong Kong has royalty and was designed nicely.
Their buildings are lit up fantastically and aren't just lit up like crap.

Please, I can't be forced to love Chicago or NY's skyline.
If you think I had insulted or affected you in some ways, PLEASE!
The skylines I like, especially Los Angeles, has been teased more than your New York and Chicago skyline AND the ones who says LA skyline sucks are either New Yorkers or Chicagoans.

Some people made up stupid stuff that AREN'T EVEN TRUE!
EXAMPLE: "Chicago's skyline is so colorful! Oh em GEE!!"
I mean.. seriously? I only see the color WHITE, GRAY, AND BLACK!
At night? YELLOW, YELLOW, YELLOW, YELLOW!
The only building that is not those colors is a very fat brown building near Sears Tower's area of the skyline.

Example: "Oh gosh, NY's skyline look so much like the future!"
I'm guessing if you destroy 100% of the old buildings, there will be 100 buildings left in the skyline. There, NY can become the future.

Ok, you call "Old style buildings" the future? NY still kept on building old stylish buildings.

Wow, I might be amazed how LA's skyline is so modern during the 1980's and they kept on building modern buildings during the 1990 building boom in LA.

I am already prepared how much replies I will get for this stupid comment.
But this is really what you guys get.
You guys deserve some punishments and learn some lessons.
Stop going into other city's skyline and saying they suck.
Really, I went on a youtube vid of a skyline and I already found 90% of the comments are HATE comments and most of them said "NY skyline is better" or "Chicago skyline is better".

Since you guys get the right to judge on other skylines and say they suck, we also get the right to judge on NY or Chicago's skyline and say they suck.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 1:46 AM

no life. You need to go back and check the real facts before you come out here with all that crap.
New York and Chicago give you the feeling of sleepiness? yea ok............. Welcome to The U.S, we have something called light pollution restrictions.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 5:30 AM
don't *meddle*...

no offense, but only ny and and chicago (maybe l.a. too) deserves to be called a skyscraper city in the u.s.. other cities have a "decent skyline" (mostly < 200m), but not in terms of REAL skyscrapers. and if ny makes you sleepy, well then EVERY city on earth will make you sleepy lol. to end this absurd discussion, just visit ny and tell aus how sleepy your visit was...

ps: ny really needs more lights sometimes, but as the previous forumer said: light pollution restrictions

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
no offense, but only ny and and chicago (maybe l.a. too) deserves to be called a skyscraper city in the u.s.. other cities have a "decent skyline" (mostly < 200m), but not in terms of REAL skyscrapers. and if ny makes you sleepy, well then EVERY city on earth will make you sleepy lol. to end this absurd discussion, just visit ny and tell aus how sleepy your visit was...

ps: ny really needs more lights sometimes, but as the previous forumer said: light pollution restrictions
Gee traveling costs money!
I'm trap in my own little city lol.
I wish I could go to NY.
But here are things that would make my visit very boring...

NY- Statue Of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc.
Things to stare at isn't really something I would do. I can just "pretend" I am looking at the Statue Of Liberty by looking at a picture.
Restaurants are too expensive. Bleh, I can't even afford anything in NY.
And the free attractions are for looking. And looking is boring to me.

Chicago- Sears Tower, Navy Pier, etc.
Sears Tower is something like looking at stars to me. It's like too high?
And Navy Pier looks boring. I mean, not to be rude, but I live in LA.
It's like going to Santa Monica Pier's Pacific Park. Except that Santa Monica's is better cause its built on a pier. Same things... Ferris Wheel, Rides, Stores, etc. Pizza is good here, but I don't like eating Pizza.

Comparisons: Both cities don't bring interests to me, and they are more of a "business" city. The bad weather could keep me from staying at the hotels.
In Hong Kong, it rained for SO much that I stayed at my cousin's house everyday.

Btw, did I say that the CITY makes me sleepy?
Sorry I meant that looking at the night skyline makes me sleepy... comparing to other cities like Hong Kong, Singapore, Las Vegas, LA, bleh.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 7:12 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLucky4LifeX View Post
Singapore and Shanghai both have a skyline as small as LA
I'll just quote this.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 8:14 AM
low life in a tall place

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 8:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Gee traveling costs money!
I'm trap in my own little city lol.
I wish I could go to NY.
But here are things that would make my visit very boring...

NY- Statue Of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc.
Things to stare at isn't really something I would do. I can just "pretend" I am looking at the Statue Of Liberty by looking at a picture.
Restaurants are too expensive. Bleh, I can't even afford anything in NY.
3 dollars for a giant slice of pizza is too much?

also bro... i've been to shanghai. it is the single most impressive display of NON-STOP urbanity i've ever seen. it's 'skyline' is endless.

endless.

the entire city is one GIANT skyline. or more like a topographic map of sorts.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I'll just quote this.
Sorry man. I'm guessing I was suppose to say
"Shanghai and Singapore's main skyline is as small as LA's main skyline."
Doesn't make sense. But Idc about spelling n grammars.

I'm a fan of Singapore and Shanghai.
So don't misunderstand me.
I know that Chinese skylines aren't small.
China is my hometown.
So I was suppose to say that their MAIN skyline is as small as LA's MAIN skyline.

Ya you guys should know what I'm talking about by "MAIN skyline"
I don't wanna do research on what their main skyline's area's name is but w/e

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:44 AM

As far as Shanghai goes, the Pudong skyline is quite impressive, night and day, however the Puxi side seems quite a bit dimmer at night (excepting of course the brightly lit lower buildings along the Bund). From Nanjing Road the buildings seem brightly lit, but when viewing the Puxi skyline from the Jin Mao Tower the skyline looked rather dim (despite its enormous size).

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:36 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Sorry man. I'm guessing I was suppose to say
"Shanghai and Singapore's main skyline is as small as LA's main skyline."
Doesn't make sense. But Idc about spelling n grammars.

I'm a fan of Singapore and Shanghai.
So don't misunderstand me.
I know that Chinese skylines aren't small.
China is my hometown.
So I was suppose to say that their MAIN skyline is as small as LA's MAIN skyline.

Ya you guys should know what I'm talking about by "MAIN skyline"
I don't wanna do research on what their main skyline's area's name is but w/e
I'm assuming you're talking about Lujiazui's skyline, and I still don't agree.
LA's skyline is reasonably tall and occupies about seven square blocks give or take. Shanghai's skyline is very tall (thanks to the Jin Mao and SWFC) and stretches the length of the Huangpu River all the way to the Nanpu Bridge. Sorry, but there isn't really any similarities between the two.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:38 AM
Oak City

The new contender, Charlotte!

Scroll, baby, scroll! ---------------->

Still getting there. Have a ways to go, but getting there.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 7:56 AM

I see a 12 year old troll came in and fucked this thread up proper.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 7:31 PM

Ive heard from this guy in youtube. He is always talking bad about Chicago and New York. He doesn't even know what he is saying.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 7:37 PM

Quote:

Chicago- Sears Tower, Navy Pier, etc.
Sears Tower is something like looking at stars to me. It's like too high?
And Navy Pier looks boring. I mean, not to be rude, but I live in LA.
It's like going to Santa Monica Pier's Pacific Park. Except that Santa Monica's is better cause its built on a pier.

Navy PIER is built on a PIER. Just STFU. Colors and flavors are ments for tastes but you clearly have no clue what you are saying and dont realize how ignorant you make yourself look. If something is called Navy Pier, dont you think that its built on a PIER.

TROL

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 7:15 PM
BANNED

found this beaut pano -by Lxmoss.
toronto.

remember, it's a pano. > > >

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture