HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
You think it takes guts to cut university spending? Please. Every government has done it. The NDP government did it for years, stupidly. What takes guts is to cut things Baby Boomers want -- cutting healthcare spending. So if the MacNeil government needs to cut spending and it had "cojones" but also, you know, brains, they'd leave education alone for the younger generation, given the great return it offers on investment, and they'd cut spending on truly costly programs like healthcare.
Apparently universities no longer demand reading comprehension from their graduates. I said "rationalization". That is a very different thing from "cut spending". It may result in that longer-term but certainly will not short-term. But what it DOES do is eliminate the absolutely sickening cost of all that university bureaucracy, all the overpaid presidents and vice-presidents, all the useless competition among them for students. Eventually efficiencies would be found, particularly in facilities - I wonder what the Saint Mary's campus would be worth if placed on the market for development - and, if the govt had any sense, in taking control of curriculum. We certainly do not need any more liberal arts programs in the name of academic freedom. Taxpayers are funding about half the cost of universities in NS now and it is time we stopped just hiving them a check without some say in how it is spent. Every time I set foot on Dal campus I am astounded at the profligate spending.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth