HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Brunswick News to charge for online content

December 2, 2011 - 6:23pm By BRETT BUNDALE Business Reporter

Brunswick News Inc., the Irving-owned news chain with a near-monopoly on print media in New Brunswick, is slated to launch a revamped website Monday that will charge users for content.

The publishing company will put the online edition of its 19 newspapers — 10 French-language weeklies, six English-language weeklies and three English-language dailies — behind a pay wall.

Rob Warner, editor-in-chief of Brunswick News, said all news content will now come at a cost to readers.

“It will differ from other pay walls, which allow a certain number of stories to be read by individuals,” he said in an interview from Saint John on Friday.

“It’s a hard pay wall, and beyond that I can’t say too much.

Read more here:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...online-content
Well...guess that's the end of reading CanadaEast for me...(take note Brunswick News)...this will very likely drive their readership down even further, unfortunate.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

VIKTOR PIVOVAROV/TIMES & TRANSCR
This photo shows part of the rear of the complex.
the atrium is nice, but that sure is some ugly cladding

Hope the street side isn't like this...is it?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Hydrofracking doesn't even scratch the surface. We've decided we don't want to take anything out of the ground. We've decided we don't want to actually build anything. We say we like tourists, but we don't actually mean it. We say we want jobs but we never stop criticizing every action of some companies, both internal and external. We say we want the government to do a better job of economic development, but nothing they is ever actually good enough. We want highways and hospitals and community colleges in every two-bit town but nobody wants to pay for it. We complain we're stuck in dying industries but that it isn't fair for us to have to change. We work hard until something potentially big comes along and then we're content to sit back and let the world take care of us.

Before someone thinks it, I'm not saying we should burn the land and boil the sea to squeeze out every penny of natural resources. But this province is full of smart people. Where are the innovators standing up and saying that we can learn from the mistakes of others and try something new? Do we hate change and progress so much that we're willing to drag the people who want to climb higher back down so that we can all be miserable together?

Don't think I'm being alarmist, either. We're already in godawful financial straights and we haven't even begun to feel the real effects of the baby boom. Every month we get more news like that latest jobs report. Sometimes they say we're improving, but if you actually look into them, I daresay 100 jobs at Starbucks don't replace 100 jobs at a manufacturing company. But who's gonna do something about it? Certainly not us. Thats the government and corporations jobs. But oh wait, we hate the government and damn the fat cats!
Agree 100%; I couldn't have said it better myself. There's two things I've noticed about most New Brunswickers in the 12 years I've lived here:

- A defeatist attitude about our economic plight and little willingness to stray from the status quo.
- A deep-seated distrust if not hatred of the major corporations in New Brunswick

These attitudes are incredibly destructive and certainly contribute to the perception that some western Canadians have of NB as a backwater province. We can't be shocked that some people think of us this way.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
I don't think that's fair. You wouldn't force an epidural or myelogram on someone who refuses it, even if the patient understands that the risk is negligible. When it comes to shared resources, we can't really ignore those who vehemently oppose this type of development, even if the risk is small, especially when they're the ones who live nearby and would be the ones most-impacted by any bad turn of events.
The problem is, I am willing to bet that the majority of people that are against fracking are not adequately informed about the issue.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Don't think I'm being alarmist, either. We're already in godawful financial straights and we haven't even begun to feel the real effects of the baby boom.
I wonder if the $5+ BILLION that could have been generated from an NB Power sale would help with this?

Jimmy

p.s. I was told over a year ago, by someone who actually works with Robert on a daily basis, that Irving has purchased Highfield Square. Anyone else heard this?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:45 PM

I did hear that rumor several times and it was previously discussed here a couple of times. I checked Crombie REIT (the company who owns or used to own the Highfield square) website and for the Highfield, it says that they manage it. If you look at another of their propriety for example Vaughan Harvey Plaza, it says: owned and managed by Crombie REIT. Like I said, the: owned by Crombie REIT is not present on the Highfield Square's page. So I suppose it might have been sold.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
p.s. I was told over a year ago, by someone who actually works with Robert on a daily basis, that Irving has purchased Highfield Square. Anyone else heard this?
Would this have anything to do re:Wildcats?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 8:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
the atrium is nice, but that sure is some ugly cladding

Hope the street side isn't like this...is it?
Sadly they used the same cladding on the front of the Peace Centre. .

The best that can be said is that the front of the building looks slightly less utilitarian than the back. I suppose that, when you consider that this was a relatively inexpensive ($9M) project that was built without really high architectural expectations, it could have turned out worse.....

-----------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I was down in Sackville today and snapped a couple of pictures of their new town hall complex, which is now nearing completion.

This is a surprisingly sharp looking building given the fact that the town is not quite 6,000 people (of course Mount Allison University would contribute significantly to the tax base).

The town hall complex will include the civic offices, town and regional RCMP and the fire hall. I believe the town library will also be in the complex.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 9:58 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

The Peace Centre isn't a gorgeous building, but it does the job. I've been through a couple times and seen the conceptual plans and they're doing a great job integrating it with the church. Bear in mind that the tenants are all non-profits, charities and social-development-type government agencies, so they wouldn't exactly be in the market for triple-A commercial real estate.

Considering the value of in-filling that block on the aesthetic of that part of downtown and the benefit to the community of having all of these services located in one central location, I don't mind it being a little drab.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 2:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Northrup Frye Fest plans sculpture of literary icon
CBC News Posted: Dec 5, 2011 11:27 AM AT
Last Updated: Dec 5, 2011 5:10 PM AT

Dawn Arnold said a bronze sculpture of Northrup Frye will help celebrate the 100th anniversary of the literary giant's birth. The Northrup Frye Literary Festival is planning to create a bronze sculpture of the Moncton-born literary giant. Heritage Canada has awarded the festival with $25,000 to help with the project.

Arnold said the project is going ahead even though more money still needs to be raised.

It will be a life-size piece of public art, depicting Frye sitting on a park bench, reading a book.

“The vision is that he'd be sitting there, people, visitors will come to our town and get their picture taken beside him, kids can climb on his head,” Arnold said.

“I mean it would be a solid, enduring presence.”

The Frye Festival is accepting tenders for the sculpture until Dec. 21 and it hopes to unveil the sculpture by next July.

Arnold said the project is important to honouring one of the city’s most famous citizens.

“I just really believe that public art is vital to living in a community, it makes it livable and enhances it in so many ways,” Arnold said.

“So I feel very confident that Monctonians will step up and help us out with this because you know he was a very famous Monctonian.”

personal note - on the CBC Radio interview this morning, Dawn Arnold mentioned that the statue would be situated someplace close to the Moncton Public Library. This is a good news item. Moncton needs more public art!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 3:21 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I was thinking about that statue today, and it reminded me of all the monuments around Parliament Hill. Wouldn't it be neat to have the park along the river adorned with statues or other pieces of public art? We've already got a few things... the fountain at Bore Park, the Cenotaph, those weird guillotine things just on the Dieppe side of Halls Creek. It would be cool to have statues and other things fairly regularly spaced from the walking bridge to the Press Club.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 6:59 PM

Just had lunch at Montana's and there is a crazy amount of activity going on at the new Mapleton retail 'expansion'. The building backing on to Mapleton the walls are actually being erected today, the floor/footings have all been redone, and that massive mound of dirt that was next to the Wheeler off ramp is completely gone (and more).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 4:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from today's T&T
http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast....rticle/1461943

Upturn in activity boosts Major Drilling results
Published Wednesday December 7th, 2011
by codi wilson
Telegraph-journal

Major Drilling Group's second quarter results show record quarterly revenue and solid demand for fiscal 2012.

At the end of the fiscal quarter on Oct. 31, Moncton-based Major Drilling revenue increased 65 per cent to $213.9 million, up from $127.8 million at the end of the same quarter last year.

Net income increased to $31.6 million from $11.3 million.

"Despite the current economic environment, our industry has not shown signs of a slowdown to this point," Francis McGuire, president and CEO of Major Drilling, said during a conference call. "Most commodity prices are at relatively high levels while many of our customers are in a much better financial position than they were three years ago."

McGuire noted that he expects continued growth despite entering into what is often the weakest quarter of the year.

"Mining and exploration companies shut down, often for extended periods over the holiday season," he said. "Weather can also play an important role in affecting operations during this period and beyond.

"Typically, revenue can be reduced by a third because of these factors. Margins are also affected as we mobilize crews in and out for the holidays and as we carry out our annual repair schedules," McGuire said.

"Looking at the balance of fiscal 2012, assuming that customers continue with their stated plans, we should see continuing growth. Our ongoing efforts for training and recruitment should allow our global utilization rates to continue to improve as each month goes by and as we add more drillers."

Recruitment and training remains to be the company's greatest challenge, the CEO said.

"The shortage of experienced drill crews will put added pressure on labour costs and productivity as well," he said.

"Our biggest operational challenge continues to be the shortage of labour."

Michael Mills, a chartered financial analyst with Beacon Securities Ltd., said the company's quarter was better than he had forecast.

"It was a very strong quarter," Mills said. "It was the best quarter they have ever had in terms of sales and earnings."

"It really reflects the strength of the entire sector right now. Major is certainly benefitting from the acquisition of Bradley Group."

Major Drilling acquired Bradley Group, a drilling company based in Rouyn-Noranda, Que., at the end of September for $80 million.

Mills predicts that Major Drilling could be taking in a billion dollars annually by the end of fiscal 2013.

"(It) would make them a pretty illustrious company in terms of Atlantic Canadian companies that do north of a billion dollars in revenue," he said.

personal note - If Major Drilling is on the verge of becoming a billion dollar company, they really need to build a new office building and world HQ downtown!!

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 6:34 PM

I noticed that there's a decent amount of survey work going on today on Robinson - from the corner of Robinson/Main all the way down to Oulton's. Considering the condition of the street perhaps there are some future development plans, or of course this may just be regular survey work..

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 6:38 PM

Wetland drained, beavers trapped and killed...

This is sad...we don't need developers like this...

Quote:
Gagnon said he doesn't want to disturb wildlife, but he has to control the environment on his land.

"That's my land, I'm responsible, I've done what I have to do," he said. "And if they don't like it, that's no problem to me."

"Maybe next year a bunch of beavers will come in and start again and I will have to do the same thing. That's what I'm prepared to do because I have to."
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1461922

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rotection.html

http://country94news.blogspot.com/20...-wetlands.html

I understand he had to 'protect' his interests, but there have to be better ways...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 7:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I noticed that there's a decent amount of survey work going on today on Robinson - from the corner of Robinson/Main all the way down to Oulton's. Considering the condition of the street perhaps there are some future development plans, or of course this may just be regular survey work..
Well, considering that Oulton's is building a new campus up on the corner of Flanders Court and War Veteran Avenue, there might be something afoot.....

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 8:35 PM

Apparently there is a "Japanese Restaurant" moving in to the vacant location across from the Marriott (front of the Pump House Building) according to the building permit in the window.

JL

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 10:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
Apparently there is a "Japanese Restaurant" moving in to the vacant location across from the Marriott (front of the Pump House Building) according to the building permit in the window.

JL
It's good to see this space getting filled up.

There are already a couple of Sushi restaurants downtown. Would this be a non-Sushi Japanese restaurant?

Also, there are a couple of Vietnamese restaurants in town and more Chinese restaurants than you can shake a stick at. How about a Korean restaurant. Is there any such thing as Korean cuisine? With a growing Korean community in the city, this would seem a natural thing to see happening here. Why not? Inquiring minds want to know.......

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 10:51 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post

JL
That would be awesome! I don't think we have a Japanese restaurant currently do we? Also that location is very visible and has been vacant for a while (Im guessing because its quite large for the typical main street tenant)...woule be nice to see it filled!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 12:44 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
How about a Korean restaurant. Is there any such thing as Korean cuisine? With a growing Korean community in the city, this would seem a natural thing to see happening here. Why not? Inquiring minds want to know.......
There's a Korean restaurant in Quispamsis, and a smaller one in City Market in Saint John. I actually like Korean much more than Vietnamese, Thai or Japanese. To each their own, though. It will only be a matter of time until there is one in the Moncton area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces